TO HUBERT; Frontline with squares, think about this

Hey Hubert,

just want you to think about this. Using "squares" instead of hexes can create a very strange looking wedges in the fronts.

Lets say Russia pounce through axis front line and drives a straight(east to west) wedge 4-5 squares long. This wedge will then look very funny and "blocky" eg squares put beside each other in a row. Is it possible to make those wedges more "rounded" or else this will look a bit strange.

This will happen with wedges running west-east. Running northwest-southwest wont be the same trouble.

You're understand what I mean?

look at this screenshot of Russia and Finland

http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/screenshots/pages/finland01.htm

Something I don't understand is if units are in a line north-south, then they have gaps diagnonaly inbetween them. I guess the ZOC will prevent movement inbetween units in a line, but it does appear that front lines going north-south will be staggered insted of straight lines.

I don't think it will be that hard to understand once we can actually move them.

The key is if units can move diagonally through the ZOC, and if attacks can be made diagonally. Additionally will there be extra costs.

North/south line can still be straight as long as ZOC prevents a unit from moving between the two units on the diagonal.

Surrounding cities is a whole another story.

Edit:

Read this topic:

I dont understand two things. :( Please help

It answers some of our questions, as well as shows a couple diagrams.

[ April 14, 2004, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: KDG ]

I must say, I like hexagons better. In an American Civil War game, Squares could be better. They allow maneuvers in a lot of ways. However, in WW1 and WW2 whre there are front lines I do not think it will be good. Unless there are ZOC exception rules, you gotta have a double line when defending on a north-south hence twice as many defenders as when u are defending on a northwest-southeast front.

[ April 14, 2004, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]