question over game design

I have neither SC1 or SC2, but I've been looking at each lately and I was wondering. WHY did the developers switch from a hex-grid to a square grid??? It doesn't make sense to me, as the wargamer that I am. It seems that so many important additions were made to SC2, but they went backwards in this most basic area. Is there a reason for this I'm not aware of?

I believe it had to do with the static fronts that were characteristic of SC1. Airpower was seen to be unrealistic as the parameter needed to break the trench warfare.

The tile configuration made the avenues of attack more numerous and hence a refocus of importance on the ground combat forces.

But only HC knows for sure.

I prefer also the old hex system .

since clash of steel i played always with hexes and this is my first game with tiles.

I found a lot confusing the first days because i left gaps in my lines, the enemy units pass through like water.

but after my first campaign i think that is not very bad, also i installed the grid from classic wargame mod tweaked by myself and now i´m very comfortable with the game play.

Augustus if you like this strategic scope represented by SC, better get on the train.

This baby has some fast and furious offensive action, and especially compelling in HtoH play.

The modders are just getting the feel, and Hubert is not done yet with the feature tweaking and already it seems that endless quest for side balance has been achieved.

All Aboard!

It was. [Probably needs to go into a FAQ somewhere

considering how often the issue is raised] Hubert

said once that he couldn't expand the map significantly

(nor let user-made maps have widely varying sizes)

without switching to squares. IOW it was some arcane

programming issue and not a gameplay decision (tho

breaking the stalemates might have figured in too as

SM said).

It could work well IF movement along diagonals cost

a bit more in terms of movement points, AND the

issues I raised in my post earlier this week about

encirclements were remedied. If you have a choice

as to the route you take you're going to move

along the diagonal because it is relatively quicker.

Originally posted by Hartmann:

I prefer also the old hex system .

since clash of steel i played always with hexes and this is my first game with tiles.

I found a lot confusing the first days because i left gaps in my lines, the enemy units pass through like water.

but after my first campaign i think that is not very bad, also i installed the grid from classic wargame mod tweaked by myself and now i´m very comfortable with the game play.

You have a complete classic wargame mod awailable on my personal page (see below in signature). With this mod, you will play SC2as a classic wargame (see Modding thread : new developments of this mods are comings soon) ;)

• 1 month later...

I just installed fantomas' graphics mod. Very impressive. The map comes alive, all the features are clearer, better defined. Even the clear terrain now has some texture. Especially intriguing is the 3d effect with the unit icons.

Thanks fantomas for making this available.

• 2 weeks later...

Good classical war... tongue.gif You have now, if you have "Old Third Reich PC Game nostalgy", the possibility to use my "Third Reich mod counters" (please, see "Modding forum"): all 2D unit_sprites are replaced by "2D Third Reich counters" : the effect is the same as you play the old game "Third Reich PC".

• 2 weeks later...