other games in development

well I'm not sure SC2 will be out when we expect as it will likely be postponed, HC isn't got an army but there are some other goodys I've been reading on comming out. Civilization 4, Ages of Empires III and Empire Earth II<which is already out>

Two out of three are RTS but Civ4 will be greatly enhanced above Civ3 I hear and you'll not feel as if you're playing a hyped up Civ2.. I've seen the screenies and graphics for Ages and it looks very interesting. Much more focus on the Native Population of America and that 'age'... I love that age personally... I would love to be the Creek battling out vs the Colonials... RTS isn't what we want but still ;) it's juicy and all that eye candy can make up for what's missing in your hearts no? These new games have monsterous requirements BTW

World At War definitely requires an IP function to make it playable, does anyone have definitive proof that will ever come? I hope so, I will play it if does for sure.

Very excited about Age of Empires III.

Empire Earth II is too similar to EEI, which I enjoyed for a bit but found a little gamey.

There's also Slitherine Sofware's Chariots of War. It's kind of Civ knock off, based off their older Legion. There's a free demo. I've installed it, looks like it might be fun...

YES mE Too!... i had the runner-up prize for their questionnaire. But, no game,Alas...just a chance to have my picture put into the game as one of the Administrators...i declined.

But, Yes...another Great 'Canadian Game' SUPREME RULER 2010 in the works as is H.C's...as are the games from BioWare in Edmonton, Alberta...in which i am presently in.

Blasphemy! Silence You infidels!!!

Computer games are a bore.

Strategic command Blitzkrieg Will be the computer game I will wait for.

Other than that It will be board game for me.

Nothing can compare!

Enjoy the war while you can, peace is going to be hell!

I am looking forward to computer version of Bruce Harper’s A World At War and Imperial Glory game. First will be turn based game based on Third Reich and Rising Sun board game. Second game will be Rome Total War clone game but in Napoleon times. Of course SC2 is first on the waiting list.

P.S. Hubert, this posts above just confirming my post I have sent few weeks ago – we need news and new screenshots from SC2. We don’t have any SC2 themes to discuss. ;)

[ May 07, 2005, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: vveedd ]

EE2 so far is a bit reminiscent of it's ancestor EE1, i'm certian entertaining as the original on certian settings.. like WW2 era only

it's very demanding and nitpicky however

the hex, board game section is empty right now. Aside from WAW and it was neat for a week or two I finally beat the computer on impossible and I didn't bother to sack Moscow too boring.. The problem with PBEM is I sent my first turn out and didn't get a return ;( I'm a little discouraged to spend an hour making turns for no returns... and the game is quite complex I'd prefer to have it in IP as they actually run faster and smoother for me..

ages will be the best by far I imagine, I hope they stick to the 'old formula' don't try anything new to the point of crucifying a decent RTS game.. ;) that'll make me a happy camper as the original was good and only needs proper modification to make it up date.. an RTS, which can be boring unless you know how to get into other aspects of it.. although anything can be boring including a boardgame without good friends to play with ;)

overall at this point I'm very dissappointed in current wargames period in whatever genre. all this cash we all have to spend and there isn't diddly but lowly simulators that are repetitive, there 56 WW2 dogfighter sims and most aren't that great. There aren't many good WW2 sims, and the #s are dwindling. When I found SC i nearly puked, I was like no way, a real modern IP WW2 hex wargame... Now I'm very eager for an SC2, and SC3. And duplicates, clones, etc...

[ May 07, 2005, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Liam ]

Gary Grigsby's World at War will have LAN and TCP/IP online play added in a future patch. Probably not the next patch which is due in a couple weeks but mostly likely late summer (just guessing however).

I'm slightly confused by some of the comments above.

Back in the 70's, it was referred to as the "Golden Age" of board wargaming.

Today, for all purposes might as well be called the "Renaissance Age" of board wargaming.

There are a large number of excellent boardgames available today, that far surpass any of the designs that were available in the past. In addition to these American designed wargames, you have Japanese wargames (with translations) and a staggering amount of Eurogames (though very few are what we would call wargames).

With Cyberboard (PBeM) and Vassal (TCP) Player Aids, along with Web based (Client/Server) games you have the entire world of wargamers available to play against.

There are very few computer games that can match the richness available in the current boardgames, and most of them are simply rip-offs of older boardgames.

If anything, the complaint should be that there isn't enought time to play games, not that you can't find opponents.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to discuss this, so if not, feel free to e-mail me and I'll point you in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by vveedd:

[QB] I am looking forward to computer version of Bruce Harper’s A World At War and Imperial Glory game. First will be turn based game based on Third Reich and Rising Sun board game. Second game will be Rome Total War clone game but in Napoleon times. Of course SC2 is first on the waiting list.

Where is the link for Bruce Harpers World at war (Third Reich)

Take a look at... BATTLE OF BRITAIN II "Wings of Victory".

[commercial link deleted]

Games Description

Battle of Britain II “Wings of Victory” recreates the fierce and famous air battles southern England in 1940. The game delivers explosive fun for veteran and casual gamers alike, and occurs over a vast and living world below which will be forever known as one the world’s most decisive moments in history.

Battle of Britain II “Wings of Victory” allows the player to either act as the supreme commander of either side, or simply click “fly” and let your generals manage the war below.

As commander, you can control the war down to a single aircraft or building in a world where thousands upon thousands battle for supremacy. Scores of targets including every plane, factory, airfield, and radar station have a specific role and impact on the progress of the war below.

As the enormous campaign plays out below, you will observe both allied and enemy flights carrying out their daily missions. You can take your commanders hat off and jump in the cockpit of the British Hurricane, Spitfire, German Messerschmitt, Stuka dive bomber, or man the gunstations of the Dornier Do17, Heinkel He111, and Ju-88 level bombers. As a pilot, all you need to do is destroy the enemy when you can and get you and your comrades home alive.

Whatever you choose, you will be amidst the relentless and endless waves of German aircraft, taking part in the most authentic historical re-creations of these amazing battles. Get ready to strap yourself in for the fight of your life.

Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory:

In-Game Features:

ü New DirectX 9 technology

ü The "In Cockpit" Experience

o Clickable cockpits for the ultimate flying experience

o Realistic starting procedures via mouse

o Built-in native track-IR support with the latest 6 degrees of freedom support, including moving your head forward, backwards, left, right, up and down

§ Lift your head for a more, over-the-nose view

§ Lean out the window while taxiing

§ Keep your eyes fixed on the target

o The industry's best padlocking system

o The industry's most natural g-force movements

ü The Ultimate Dynamic Campaign

o Authentic re-creation of the entire Battle of Britain campaign

o Experience epic battles with hundreds of aircraft in the air

o Thousands of aircraft are tracked and combat ready from their historical airfields. Knocking out enemy airfields hurts the enemy's ability to launch aircraft from those specific airfields.

o Authentic radar and spotting system

§ British coastal radar network spots planes, reports data to central command, aircraft readiness is checked at nearby airfields and interceptors are appropriately vectored

§ Damaged radar systems create "outages" or "holes" in the defensive screen

§ Human spotters exist all over the British countryside, and their ability to spot is affected by weather conditions

o The entire war machine, down to just a single building is modeled

o Be the supreme commander or just be the pilot

ü "RealWeather" Technology

o Both historical and dynamic weather conditions exist throughout the theater

o Building storm fronts with towering storm heads

o Turbulence

o Real-time, in-flight weather changes

o Realistic weather forecasting

ü Artificial Intelligence

o Computer piloted airplanes fly with the same performance and flight characteristics the player flies with, for a precise, historically accurate offline experience

o "RealPilot" Artificial Intelligence Technology means enemy aircraft have the same limitations the player has

o Both the player and the enemy can use the clouds for safety and cover

o Study and exploit the enemy's weaknesses with charts included in the printed pilot's manual

o Enemy aircraft have the same characteristics and performance as the player's aircraft, including actual joystick movements

ü Realistic Sound

o Authentic engine sounds and behavior, inside and out

o Machineguns, explosions, hits, and flack fill the battlefield

o Negative g stalls, sputtering, engine overheating

o Open the canopy and hear the difference

o Complex engine management including prop-pitch, mixture, and engine temperature

ü Unprecedented Visual Effects

o Accurately modeled visual effects create the ultimate battlefield experience

o Authentic bomb blasts in accordance to military test data, including realistic fireball size / duration, shockwaves, and dirt blasts

o Realistic gun-hits on aircraft, ground targets, land, and water

o Towering clouds of black smoke cover the battlefield for the entire flight

o Be a part of hundreds of bombers as countless bombs reign down on targets below

ü Communications

o Immersive, powerful, and historical command and control on the ground and in the air

o Command examples

§ "Target bombers"

§ "Vector me to nearest airfield"

§ "Tower, what is the wind at altitude?"

[ May 19, 2005, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Moon ]

IMPERIAL GLORY ... i just bought it and am having a blast with it!.

This game takes place or starts just before the Napoleonic period. Your objective is of course to conquer all of Europe. The graphics not-withstanding the 3-D battles is very-good... .

I installed the game on Sunday Night and played till 1:30 in the morning...i had to quit then since i would be getting up in a few hours to go to work.

[commercial URL deleted]

They advertise alot of 3-D graphics...and yes it does have it for the battles if you wish to do the battle yourself.

Otherwise in the main game...you move military game pieces turn after turn...'Not Real Time'...Real-Time mode can take place during the 3-D battles.

34.jpg

There is research, diplomacy, Spying, etc, etc...many of the things we have talked about here in this forum.

I love this game!!!... .

[ May 30, 2005, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Moon ]