New AAR with default settings.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What techs did you research in this game? and which have you found to be useful or not useful? - ie Intel, Naval Bombardment, etc.

I did not notice any engineers being used. Did either size use this new unit?

PS: HC - Resized Blashy's screen shots would make interesting additions to the SC2 screenshot library.

[ November 13, 2005, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Originally posted by Desert Dave:

Blashy has done a tremendous job introducing many of the new! features of SC-2 Blitkreig!

He keeps us "old grogs" on our toes because he is a creative and risk-taking player who finds all sorts of unique ways to "break the tried & true" S&T.

That's what I like to hear. Great job Blashy. Looking forward to another AAR.

One thing that struck me Blashy was you kept pointing out the importance of putting the tank units in cities and fully entrenching them.

While I'm aware that a tank unit is more than just tanks, seems a little odd. Perhaps the infantry defense in a city should be upped a bit, leaving the tanks free to roam the map. Wouldn't want to lose the "blitzkrieg" part of the game.

While I can't speak for Blashy's game or for his strategy (keep in mind this is a single game from his point of view), it is true that Tanks can be formidable defensive units when entrenched in cities, fortifications etc. (as in real life), but of course you lose the advantage of their mobility if you are not using them in the field.

I think it is a give and take and at times it may be best to use them in a defensive role to make that particular city that much more difficult to capture while at other times it might be in your best interest to use them for their natural strike and penetration ability. Or perhaps a combination of the two.

Many options and of course more than one strategy ;)

One thing I liked about HiCom was the way armor didn't have as good a defensive ability in cities as infantry, but mechanized infantry did. That combination encouraged the building of mech infantry along with armor so they could be sent out as one group. I know SC2 won't have stacking, but perhaps there's some sort of equivalent.

Anyway, realistically speaking, in WWII armored units (yes, I know they're composed mainly of infantry) were not at their best either attacking from a city or defending in one. At least the tanks in the unit weren't. The thing is, on the scale we're talking about we'd need to lump together other factors, such as infantry supporting assault guns, so we spiral back to the same generalization. Maybe, as Hubert said, it's mainly a matter of whether or not you're willing to forfeit the unit's mobility.

Oh I agree. On the scale we're talking about you can come up with just about any rationalization you wish.

However, if it turns out armor becomes the premier city defender and corps/armies are running around as maneuver units, then we might have a problem.

To early to tell of course, just an observation.

In SC1 tanks had an air defense of 3 and cities provided an air defense bonus of 1. Considering how air power worked, putting tanks in cities had some advantages. In SC2, corps, armies and tanks all have air defense of 1 so it's not a clear advantage any more. Tanks are just more robust than corps and armies regardless of where you put them.

Entrenchment provides a bonus to all land unit types, and there's no other special bonus for tanks. Air, rocket and naval attacks on land units are different in SC2 in that they now inflict a morale loss, and again there's no special effect for tanks in cities. As Lars says, it's still too early to tell if there's a "problem."

Different players will have different tactics, and that's OK. I'll encourage folks that they really need to approach SC2 with an open mind and try some new ideas, because the tried and true SC1 routines you're all used to may not work the same anymore. ;)

• 2 weeks later...