"Spain Joins Axis" surprise

Just started played 1.05a vs AI as Allies. Difficulty 100% but no experience bonus.

AI is making a hash of its French campaign. My September 1st, 1940 go starts with a Spain Joins Axis message.

Not all that surprising that the Axis goes for spain, even with the increased cost. I was a little surprised because I had 2 chits in Spain which I thought might have made a difference, especially with Germany having to buy back loads of units.

Then I realised that there had been no foreign minister report about an earlier shift to the Axis. When I loaded the previous turn again, Spain was at 40%.

60%! That's a pretty hefty increase for one go.

With the new patch, there are new default events that give the AI a boost. It gets some free units, and there are random chances of certain countries joining their side. Look up the Scripts under Advanced Options, and you can see these events and switch them off if desired. They have an (AI) tag next to their name.

Steve, based on your screenshot I think I know what might be going on... looks like France might have just surrendered to the Axis AI right? In this case my guess is that the paratroop unit had prepared the previous turn and then decided to execute a drop on London instead of standing down after Paris fell.

I've had similar odd behaviour reports from the beta testers on Paratroops but without seeing a turn in action it was unlikely for me to find out what might have been happening, no time for me to play the game myself unfortunately, but based on this I'll see what I can do.

Bromley, the jump in Spanish activation might have to do with an Axis unit adjacent to London as I believe there are scripts that cover this possibility as well... could have even been this Axis Paratroop issue causing Spain to join.

Thanks Hubert. Two separate games though.

My para drop occurred really soon after the Germans took Belgium (so Spring 1940). IIRC the FSJ had dropped in Benelux. Next go, the advance pushed on to Paris and was stopped. Within 2 turns of that the FSJ landed in Kent (taking damage from the bomber in SE Kent).

I had taken Norway and, although the AI couldn't see that all I had to garrison London was an airfleet, it could probably have guessed that I was stretched. I still had the BEF in Manchester though, so it wasn't "cheating" by actually checking what units I had.

I think the Spain activation was this. A one-off 10% chance. Nice surprise.

#NAME= Spain Joins The Axis (10% - Axis AI)

#POPUP= Spain Joins The Axis

#FLAG= 1

#TYPE= 0

#AI= 1

#COUNTRY_ID= 38

;Set war entry

#TRIGGER= 10

#ALIGNMENT= 1

#DATE= 1940/09/01

;Germany politically aligned with Axis and not surrendered

#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 5 [1] [100] [0]

Ah yes the new Axis AI script... I forgot about that one smile.gif

Ok, wrt paratroopers I think then there was more than one issue... the previous one was a problem as I just tested it today and resolved it but I can think of another one based on your description above. I'll see if I can fix that one as well smile.gif

[ November 29, 2006, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Hubert Cater ]

Hubert, as far as I remember, France had fallen 2 or 3 turns earlier, and I had been blockading u-boats with the Royal Navy from the start.

The paradrop ocurred, then the Luftwaffe went mental in hitting my navy, along with the entire Kriegsmarine that sortied out.

I dont see this as a bug but a concerted attempt at Sealion. I loved it!

It took me several turns to defeat that single para unit.

I was playing on 'Expert' level with no experience handicap.