Hubert, can you correct this AI problem as I think it would be a great help.

When the computer takes its turn it reinforces all its units first, then attacks. 4 units will be around one of my units. The computer reinforces one of those units even if its at 7, then attacks with the other three units. Many times the unit survives with 1 or 2 strength.

If the attacks had been made first by the computer with the strongest units first, then that fourth unit at strength 5-7 could make that final attack instead of reinforcing when it sees the unit next to it at strength 1, 2, or 3.

I'd say I see this occur at least 10 times a game, many times when cities are trying to be taken. This would result in many additional kills as well as an Axis AI taking cities faster.

It would seem that changing the order of reinforcements and attacks for the AI would help solve this problem.

Just use the editor.

LOL, well Skando M,

You sure SEEMED to have a real good time

When you made yer Russian Campaign,

Using that unprecedented Editor, true? ;)

You keep repeating this, it's

Hard to tell you truly mean

What you say, or

Simply are being facetious?

I give you the benefit,

I assume you think it is a fantastic tool,

That's cool, and so

Eventually somebody else will make

France 1940,

Or perhaps?

The Med Theatre,

Start to finish?

Now there's one I'd like to see done! :cool:

Originally posted by Hyazinth von Strachwitz:

@ KG: as far as I know this has been adressed already and is in progress... last time we asked Hubert about the timeframe for 1.03 he replied with "maybe in one month"...

Thanks. Hopefully this is being addressed.

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

Just use the editor.

I don't think you can edit how and when units reinforce and when they attack. If you can then posting the script would be nice.

Correct, you can't edit unit actions for reinforcement and attack.

Great observation. In addition I have noticed how the AI will sometimes garrison the tiles around a city and leave the city itself unguarded, and continues to place an excessive number of HQs in a region where there are no units for them to support.

I would also like to see the AI calculate which units can be destroyed before making its attacks. Often there will be two or three units in a line and instead of focusing all attacks on destroying one unit the AI targets several enemy units, destroying none.

Originally posted by Desert Dave:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Just use the editor.

LOL, well Skando M,

You sure SEEMED to have a real good time

When you made yer Russian Campaign,

Using that unprecedented Editor, true? ;)

You keep repeating this, it's

Hard to tell you truly mean

What you say, or

Simply are being facetious?

I give you the benefit,

I assume you think it is a fantastic tool,

That's cool, and so

Eventually somebody else will make

France 1940,

Or perhaps?

The Med Theatre,

Start to finish?

Now there's one I'd like to see done! :cool: </font>

Originally posted by Blashy:

Kuniworth, how about you get some real work done and find me a proper OOB for the Soviet fleet in the Baltic tongue.gif

How about checking out my scenario for the heavy cruisers and battleships there in 1941. Im not including light crusisers as I think they are to small for my scale and they should be for you too.

Worth noting; Parish Kommuna BB in Black Sea was later renamed to Sevastopol. In my scenario you can still buy the Sevastopol even if you start with the Paris Kommuna, to reflect that if people want.

Im looking for;

- Mech inf mod(that Fredoz have some but he chose to delete engineers and paras to get it, which is a problem but Im sure it can be solved with transforming rockets. That would mean I can get a heavy inf type which can be used to simulate shock armies and mechanized german infantry corps.)

- Minefield mod(to make Hanko the focal point). Actually you should include Hanko as a port Blashy and make it a part of the winter war peace.

- Better Slovakia flag than my own mediocre try at it.

I hope Hubert include more unit-types in later patches.

What you could do is have an event that gives Russia the Archangelsk as a free unit for it's arctic fleet if you allow people around the north of Scandinavia(which I think you should, expand it thereby making it a real reasons for Germany to have Scharnhorst, uboats and Tirpitz in Norway). Archangelsk was the UK battleship HMS Royal Sovereign which the Royal Navy gave to Russia on a loan I think back in 1943.

--------------------

The number one strategic command resource;

It was given to them as a substitute for their "share" of war booty from Italy.

Getting an OOB for the soviet fleets in 1941 is kind of trivial - eg Baltic naval OOB's

I've got Jurg Meister's 1977 work "Soviet Warships of hte Second World War" at home if you need any particular details.

Originally posted by Edwin P.:

Correct, you can't edit unit actions for reinforcement and attack.

Great observation. In addition I have noticed how the AI will sometimes garrison the tiles around a city and leave the city itself unguarded, and continues to place an excessive number of HQs in a region where there are no units for them to support.

I would also like to see the AI calculate which units can be destroyed before making its attacks. Often there will be two or three units in a line and instead of focusing all attacks on destroying one unit the AI targets several enemy units, destroying none.

This is where the AI should excel. It should know what unit it can kill each turn and what is required to kill that unit. If this can be improved with the next patch then we should see some dramatic ability increases in the AI.

The biggest problem is that the AI attacks all the time.

At long odds, against a strong and determined enemy,

no matter what it's attack/attack/etc. all the time.

It should be able to calculate for itself when the

odds are good and how many solid friendly units are

nearby (strength in numbers), at the very least,

before it decides to attack. Eliminating all these

suicide rushes certainly will help the modders craft

better AIs, esp. on the Russian Front.

Originally posted by Blashy:

Kuniworth, how about you get some real work done and find me a proper OOB for the Soviet fleet in the Baltic tongue.gif

I'm not Kuniworth but here is an OOB for Soviet Fleets at the start of 1940:

Baltic Fleet -

BB Marat

BB Oktjabrskaja Revolutsija

CL Avrora (Next biggest ship - used primarily as a training vessel)

SS About 33 vessels

Numerous DD and smaller craft

Northern Fleet -

SS About 16 vessels

I could not find any CAs in the Baltic/North at the end of '39 but there were several CLs around. These could be represented by a single CA?

I have read conflicting information about the Kirov Class and the Maxim Gorky Class. Two sites I consulted class them as CL while one classes them as CA. I guess you take your pick tongue.gif

Kirov (1939) & Maxim Gorky (1941) were stationed in the Baltic.

From the research I have done it seems like the Black Sea Fleet was largely smaller vessels but the Voroshilov (Kirov Class) & Molotov (Maxim Gorky Class) were based there; both were commissioned in 1941. The BB Parizhskaya Kommuna (Previously named Sevastopol) was also stationed in Sevastopol... funnily enough ;P

For the sake of completeness the Kalinin and Kaganovich (Maxim Gorky Class) were both based in Vladivostok.

Apart from these two classes all other Russian cruisers of the time seem to be universally classed as CLs.

The Soviets scrapped a number of capital ships shortly before the war and cancelled production of several BB in late 1940 when they were not far from completion; Potentially leading to a 'what if?' scenario.

Originally posted by KG:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kuniworth:

Just use the editor.

I don't think you can edit how and when units reinforce and when they attack. If you can then posting the script would be nice. </font>