U-boats and starving britain

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no surrender condition based on loss of MPPs. UK can be worn down though. U-boats can raid convoys from Canada, middle east and USA lend lease, and these losses could exceed 40 MPPS per turn depending on how many subs are active.

Hunting and killing subs will take its toll on the Royal Navy, as will new random storm at sea effects, and keeping up with losses will be a challenge if subs are being exceptionally effective. But, a Sealion invasion will ultimately be needed to conquer UK.

u know germany came very close to starving em out. at quite a few points britain was down to a cpl weeks worth of food and fuel. the brits were actually going to kill the convoy system which had gotten them out of trounble in the first place

How exactly U-boot war works in SC2? You have to put a U boot in a particular area, and if the ship live one turn, you deduct something from a pool?

Can they hit the operationnal supplies, I mean the supply used by armies, delivered to harbors (Malta subs and planes hitting the Tripoli lane being a strikening example)

This would be rather important. I can't really imagine a good WW2 game with no mecanisms simulating the interception of Italian convoys en route to Tripoli.

It has nothing to do with complexity, just a focus on a good design (and I do think that SC2 has a good design). Take for example World at War. The mechanic is simple, but the design is sound... and the interception of supply convoy is portrayed (sp?) as you have to move supply points thru convoy units.

This would be rather important. I can't really imagine a good WW2 game with no mecanisms simulating the interception of Italian convoys en route to Tripoli.

SMG42,

There IS a re-presentation

Of supply being interdicted in the game.

It is handled simply and deftly, IMO,

With the "Malta Effect." :cool:

IE, at a certain "trigger %" (... which, like just about everything else, can be edited to your liking)

Either Tripoli & port, or Tobruk & port will be reduced.

Ipso Calypso, ANY units in area will ALSO have their "supply" and "readiness" and ability to conduct combat OPs... reduced.

VERY LITTLE micro-managing in this new! SC-2. :cool:

QUITE A BIT

Of intricacy quite subtly implemented,

And, in fact,

I predict it will take quite a long,

Long time,

Even for the Teutonic Myth,

Terif,

To BEGIN to master it.

Yep,

The competition is gonna be fierce, and

Very best,

NO-ONE will be able to dominate.

No one. ;)

I like that idea SMG42

the interception of supply convoy is portrayed (sp?) as you have to move supply points thru convoy units.
... which is why in previous posts i mentioned having CONTROL in AREAS in order to ensure convoy movement/access to be able to deliver supplies.

In the case you sited SMG42, obviously, you would need to dominate or control the area/region where your convoy is...otherwise your convoy would be unable to utilize that pathway to deliver supplies.

Now!...going a little further on this!, i would like to see a Convoy being organized to bring supplies from point 'A'['U.S.' for Example] to point 'B'[North Africa]. When and if this Convoy gets to or reaches point 'B'...THEN! & ONLY THEN!...would a determined amount of supplies be available for usage by Allied Forces!.

A supply system somewhat like the above illustration would make planning a supply-run a 'Paramount Priorty' in the game,...instead of just an automatic GENERIC supply status situation throughout the Theatre!.

Desert Dave snuck in his post before i finished and posted mine!. Perhap's the supply system he mentioned will, after-all do 'Just-Fine'!...who know's???.

[ March 26, 2006, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Retributar ]

A supply system somewhat like the above illustration would make planning a supply-run a 'Paramount Priorty' in the game,...instead of just an automatic GENERIC supply status situation throughout the Theatre!.

Retributar,

Some folks really like to finagle

With ALL them smaller aspects of WW-2,

And that's cool,

To each their own preferred game

I always say. smile.gif

What you CAN do,

And as I have done with my own mod,

Is... have a supply convoy running from

Palermo to Tripoli.

**(... just to be clear, this is actually a convoy from Tripoli to Palermo, transferring Libyan resources to Italy; however, in my mind, my fevered imagination if you will, I see it as "running both ways," IE, however you figure it, Italy LOSES MPP's IF interdicted by the subs)

'Course, then,

UK will need to place a sub in the Med

In order to intercept, since,

As of NOW anyhow,

Only the subs can raid the convoys.

[... who knows? What truly interesting things MIGHT be implemented later on "down the glory road"... Hubert is nothing if not open to slowly and carefully improving those features that might have some adjustment, IE, there's the CHANCE, and by no means any certainty, that we COULD have added ability for "surface ships" to act as RAIDERS! some fine, ocean-going day! :cool: ]

In fact,

You can draw in (... very easy to make that script with way-points, port to port)

As many convoys as you might wish.

As for instance,

And,

Keep in mind I have made Libya

A separate minor Nation

Controlled by Italy:

; Supply Convoys to and from Libya:

{

#NAME= Supply Convoys - Sicily <-> Libya

#POPUP=

#FLAG= 1

#TYPE= 2

#COUNTRY_ID= 27

#TRANSFER_ID= 6

#COUNTRY_ID_TRIGGER= 60

#TRANSFER_ID_TRIGGER= 60

#PERCENTAGE= 80

#MAX_PERCENTAGE= 80

#SPRING_REDUCTION= 100

#SUMMER_REDUCTION= 100

#FALL_REDUCTION= 90

#WINTER_REDUCTION= 80

#SOURCE_PORT= 79,33

#DESTINATION_PORT= 83,27

#WAYPOINT= 78,32

#WAYPOINT= 78,29

#WAYPOINT= 80,27

}

[ March 26, 2006, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Desert Dave ]

hmm.

indeeeeeed

i jus won WW2 as allies in PTO4 for PS2

America VS the World

:D

war ended July of 43 :D

theres sum cool features in that game like being able to design and build ur own ships, maybe sum day we can do that

yes yes off topic tongue.gif

Couple other comments about the above mentioned and illustrated Libya <-> Italy convoy route:

1) I do NOT believe this is a BETTER way to represent Italy's relationship with Libya. I merely did it this way so to try out something DIFFERENT. :cool:

2) IF you are going to add in X-tra convoys, or, for that matter, other OOB's or more complex feature alterations, well, be prepared, as yer very likely gonna need to ALSO re-configure or ADD in some other AI scripts to compensate (... in solo games) for what you have done. ;)

Originally posted by SeaMonkey:

Hey GenMarky, I used to play PTO2 quite a bit. Where can I get info on PTO4? Sounds like it might have a lame AI if you won that early. PTO2 had a very inefficient AI, the biggest reason I finally put it to rest, not to mention SC.

>>>SeaWanker Donkey

This website is about sc, not some other crap game.

crap game?!?!?!?!

its 1 of the best games ive ever played, and ive played alot. i was making a comparison kuni.

reviews do not do it justice.

i designed and built super carriers. i designed and produced my own fighters, bombers and other ships, plus i really took the war to the enemy. i was actually very suprised that the war ended so quick. i thought it would last until at LEAST 44 or 45.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/strategy/pto4/review.html

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=938500

it is an older game so its hard to find but dont listen to the reviews its a great game

this post will probably be locked soon :(

let it be known that its not my intention to draw attention away from SC2 as i am almost to the point of dreaming about playing it.

Originally posted by GenMarky:

crap game?!?!?!?!

its 1 of the best games ive ever played, and ive played alot. i was making a comparison kuni.

So you mean SC is not better than this?????????

You some agent from a different game company here to talk crap about "our game"? Dont you get it, we are here because we love SC. People have got banned for promoting other games and here you step in to mock the whole community. I'm shocked to see this aggressive stance towards SC by you Sailor Boy. Or is it Sailor Moon???

If you like your sailor suit that much you are obiviously biased in the comparison with SC. SC is a grand strategy game, PTO or whatever is some real-time sailor-wear-dresses-simulation that are played by sissies(with some exceptions here and there).

Real gamers play SC.

People who dress up like Sailor Moon plays PTO.

@JenMarky --- Who are you playing PTO2 against? The A.I.? Why don't you try SC & quit this campaign of anti-Battlefront. You need to take inventory of your wargaming & realize this is a serious SC family. We don't just post PTO2 stuff when we feel like it. Also, I love Patton too, but what's with this glorification of the taking God's name in vain? You need to help hide Patton's sin, not expose it. Think son, before you type.

Things are going down hill here, I'm ashamed.

-Legend

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

@JenMarky --- Who are you playing PTO2 against? The A.I.? Why don't you try SC & quit this campaign of anti-Battlefront. You need to take inventory of your wargaming & realize this is a serious SC family. We don't just post PTO2 stuff when we feel like it. Also, I love Patton too, but what's with this glorification of the taking God's name in vain? You need to help hide Patton's sin, not expose it. Think son, before you type.

Things are going down hill here, I'm ashamed.

-Legend

Yeah whats up with this new trend of dissing Patton and dress up like a salty sailor?

:rolleyes:

the flames are strong here... i did no such thing to mock SC or SC2. i was simply making a comparison between the 2. SC is a great game and ive spent much time playing it. as im sure i will spend alot of time playing SC2. but dont diss the navy please, son ;)

and rambo i wouldnt be lecturing others about thinking before u type ;)

ill leave it all at that

mods please delete or lock this thread before it goes further and or any other needless insults are thrown :rolleyes:

and that has been my sig ever since i signed up for the forums here over 2 YEARS ago. urs is the first ever complaint. :rolleyes:

[ March 26, 2006, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: GenMarky ]

I don't know if its me, but this thread is difficult to follow.

So in essence, supply routes (oversea) in SC2 must be scripted for a given scenario?

Ok, so if Germany take Ireland, how they are considered supplied here? Can the english intercept the ferrying of supply from Germany main land? Or does it means that, as there is no scripted route, nothing can happen?

I'm not very convinced for now. In fact SC2 is falling into the same design fault as HOI: they have implemented the Murmansk effect within the script engine, and not with sound game rules.

So in essence, supply routes (oversea) in SC2 must be scripted for a given scenario?

No, they do not HAVE to be scripted. By default you get 50% of overseas production for controlled resources, just like SC1. The convoy scripts allow for greater percentages, perhaps affected by seasonal weather. They also allow for majors to get some production from neutral minors at some activation level, like the Swedish Iron Ore scripts for Germany. And they allow for lend lease exchange of MPPs between friendly majors, which offers considerable flexibility for the Allied player now.

Originally posted by SMG42:

I don't know if its me, but this thread is difficult to follow.

Ok, so if Germany take Ireland, how they are considered supplied here? Can the english intercept the ferrying of supply from Germany main land? Or does it means that, as there is no scripted route, nothing can happen?

I'm not very convinced for now. In fact SC2 is falling into the same design fault as HOI: they have implemented the Murmansk effect within the script engine, and not with sound game rules.

Convoy is very simplistic in SC2, nothing complicated and it functions well.

It will be one of the last things you will think about during the game, don't worry about it ;) .