Hubert - you want help with minors leadership?

Why not just give all the minors HQ:s worth 5 and just name them something appropriate? smile.gif

BUT the minors SHOLUD definately be able to produce HQs.

And units produced in Cities of Axis controlled minors should not be regarded as German but from that country. I have always wondered why Axis minors cannot produce more units... In High command they produced corps by a specific rate. That is a version too...

True, but after repulsing the Italians they advanced into Albania and the Greeks were more motivated than the Italians, isn't motivation a part of leadership. Also, prior to Italy attacking Metaxas stockpiled ammunition for his army knowing that in the event of war that new bullets would be a long time in arriving.

Personally, I would like to see HQ units rated on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being purely political hacks and 10 being outstanding Generals. Currently the lowest rated HQ in SC is rated a 4.

Spain:

Queipo de Llano - 9: competent administrator, ruler of semi-autonomous feif, afficionado of wine and women, hombre with major cojones (reference actions of 17 July 1936), and internationally-famous radio personality to boot.

But seriously, give Franco a 5 for being able to successfully manage a methodical war of attrition under less than ideal circumstances.

Please, let me add a Spanish reference to Queipo de Llano tongue.gif :

"Ole qué gracia y que arte tiene ese sevillano, dando ahí un toque patrio!!!"

I agree with add Franco, but not with give him 5... perhaps 4 as Italians...

It has been a surprise for me to discover Queipo de LLano as sinonymous of "Rodolfo Valentino"... :eek:

Live is full of surprises... ;);)

Regards,

I think Kuni has the right take on Mannerheim, many of his actions going back to WWI were brilliant. We'll never know what his full capabilities were, of course.

Franco and Tito would be more difficult to reliably evaluate. I think Poland, Sweden and Greece should also have one HQ each available. Naturally, if they would make play unrealistic they could be left out of the game scenarios, but I'd like them to be available for player created scenarios.

DAK_bpin

Agreed, I'd lean toward a 6 for Franco, I think he was a very comptetent general.

I didn't quite catch the Rudolfo Valentino reference -- was there a general by that name or are you amusing yourself with the old Siver Screen Sheik?

In some of his newsreel poses Mussolini seems to have thought he was also Valentino. :D

[ April 24, 2004, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

I didn't quite catch the Rudolfo Valentino reference -- was there a general by that name or are you having fun the old Sheik of the Siver Screen?

:D Yes, i having fun!!! I was thinking about that old generals... and it success with womens... My good, i hope that i don´t meet any women who left me because she loves that kind of men... tongue.gif

Audie Murphy?
Great!!! He would have special atributes because as he makes jokes the men under his commander would have better morale than the bored and righteous German commander... :D:D

My mother used to love old Rudolf, she was a little girl when the silents were running and was also a big fan of the Cowboy William S. Hart, who'd been an actual sheriff in the old west and carried a couple of slugs that couldn't be removed.

They both had many similar scenes -- ten or fifteen no-goods piling up on them and then you'd see the villains being thrown off like a pile of refuse and the hero would stand straight and dust himself off. The only real difference was one dressed as a cowboy and the other as a sheik. Watching movies in the silent era must have been a lot of fun, I can picture the women crying and the men rolling their eyes incredulously telling deaf ears that it was all a lot of nonsense! :D

Audie Murphy I kind of feel bad about. He was legitimately idealistic, also a legitimate hero many times over. His heroism was usually to help the men he served with, always the best kind. The Army wanted to make him an officer but it didn't work out. Hollywood tried making him a star but didn't see their way to teaching him how to act -- I think he had a good chance of turning into a good one if he'd been properly trained. His battle wounds left him in pain for the rest of his life and that led to abuses. I can't watch his movies, they make me feel bad.

[ April 24, 2004, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Originally posted by Edwin P.:

True, but after repulsing the Italians they advanced into Albania and the Greeks were more motivated than the Italians, isn't motivation a part of leadership.

Yes but motivation was probably mainly due to defending their country, not loyalty against the commanders. Besides with this logic Mannerheim would get a 9.

Hopefully in the scenario editor we can name and rate HQs as we see fit.

As this discussion is showing it can be very hard to rate some commanders who only led troops in one or two WWII campaigns. However, for those seriously wanting to pursue this I recommend hunting through books on WWI, as anyone who was a general at the start of WWII will almost certainly have been an officer during the previous war.

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Edwin P.:

True, but after repulsing the Italians they advanced into Albania and the Greeks were more motivated than the Italians, isn't motivation a part of leadership.

Yes but motivation was probably mainly due to defending their country, not loyalty against the commanders. Besides with this logic Mannerheim would get a 9. </font>