Now this is a map of Europe

Superficially it does look pretty - but I took a quick look at the British Isles and the geography is a joke!

Peterborough a port?

Cardiff/Swansea the most westerly promontary of Wales??

etc etc -

Accuracy should come before decor!

Having said that - the style is fine.

Or look at The Netherlands. I was checking to see weither this map modeled The Netherlands as it was now or as it was then (big differences) but what I saw wasn't that common mistake but the complete blobbification and distortion of it.

I realize it's a small and odd/fiddly shaped country but they made it completely unreckognizeable.

No doubt there are some issues of accuracy, take a look at the Norman peninsula. Just think what a crafty crowd like us could do with this. At 20 km per hex, notice I said hex, there is much room for maneuver and the size of this map could deliver the Battle of the Atlantic.

My first impression was the scale needed a bit of tweaking for SC, maybe up to 30-35 km per hex. We would then be into a corps type battle size.

Great SeaMonkey. I liked the detail on zooming in (didn't pay much attention to specific details, I saw the note about accuracy issues, but I like the general layout) and the large configuration is great, encompassing all of the areas of Europe and North Africa that would actually be used in warfare. The southeast cutoff might leave out one or two hexes that could possible be used but in truth they're probably desert areas and the chances of them coming up in an actual contest are much more remote than the area on the other side of the map being gained at their expense.

It is a very nice game map (and we obviously were stomping all over their bandwidth with repeated downloads of this 19 Meg file because it isn't loading now). As was stated, there are some relatively minor inaccuracies though I didn't see anything that would materially impact a game. The thing that makes this map feel especially awkward to me is that it has been shifted slightly so that up is no longer north but rather North by Northwest (true north is somewhere between the top center and the top right corner). Obviously this was done to maximize ther playable space, but in my mind it just looks off kilter.

For those who never saw the original, here is a much compressed and shrunk (to preserve my own bandwidth, to give it a shot of fitting on a page in this forum, and to hopefully avoid any potential copyright issues) version just to give you an idea of the map we are referring to in this thread.

Europe_condensed.JPG

Well the way I see this is a template of 200 by 200 hexes.

If we're talking 20 km/hex then about 4000 km square, then that's about 2485 miles per side.

If we expand the scale to 35 km per hex then 35/20 X 2485 = 4350 miles or about one sixth of the planet at the equator.

Well is that big enough? We need east coast of USA to eastern Caspian Sea. You guys do the math, I'll find the maps.

One thing for sure, if you want to do an entire global map of the Northern Hemisphere(WW2 territory), each hex will have to represent 120 miles, based on 24000 miles Earth circumference at the equator. Now I'm going on what I remember for the Earth at the equator, correct me if I'm wrong.

SeaMonkey i fully agree with you and have already somewhat touched on this subject a while back.

I do not know if it is possible or not with SC2...but, suppose that somehow we could have several regions or theatre area's that would or could be inter-linked...to each other?.

Is the Max-Map-Size or a portion there-of all that we can use for any one game...or could it be possible to re-use this 256X256 template over and over again to create more than one region or theatre' ?.

This way...(max custom map size of 256x256) could be in whole/Part utilized over and over again as required in order to accomodate the scale needed!.

These Zones or separate Area Maps would need to be linked to each other in-order, for example to cover the entire Earth.

To further illustrate this, for example units from the Pacific could make their way through each Map or Zone/Area until they reach the desired location.

I don't know if you should concentrate your energy on such a project. I think we all agree that the European Theatre (East USA included) like it was shown in SC1 in the main battlefield. I think that the map as shown here is not the perfect solution because of the non existing battlefield in the atlantic and the "european theatre curve" I dont know about you but i would get crazy over time to look at a map that is curved like that ;)

If we have 256*256 we should be able to create a similliar map like that regarding detail but we should make it "flat" and because of that we may have to alternate the scale a little bit, i am not sure in this area if you can create a whole flat european theater like in SC1 with a 20 mile scale.

Fireball (from Germany)