Tree mod preview

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Tanks a Lot:

Here are a few more pics of my soon to be released tree mod.

It will include fall trees ...

and pines as well as non-pine tall trees.

Hi all, and especially Tanks a lot,

Absolutely fabulous work, Tanks. Great detail. How can we get them ?

Scheer out

Originally posted by Tanks a Lot:

Thanks everbody for the nice comments.

I hope to send everything to mensch later today.

Here's one more preview.

tree%20preview%203.jpg

Those are GREAT trees

are you useing TreePro?

Or is It the NEW tree lab in Bryce5?

or is that Vue3D thing?

Where are those lovely trees comimg from?

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tanks a Lot:

Thanks everbody for the nice comments.

I hope to send everything to mensch later today.

Here's one more preview.

Those are GREAT trees

are you useing TreePro?

Or is It the NEW tree lab in Bryce5?

or is that Vue3D thing?

Where are those lovely trees comimg from?

-tom w</font>

Mostly TreePro. I have to manually add all the detail to the trunk and branches after with Paint Shop Pro.

GREAT

Nice Job

TreePro does a good job with trees.

For those who don't know TreePro "grows" trees and the user can set the preferences and configuration and you can make almost any kind of tree like vegeation you want.

Its a FUN piece of software.

Ideal for making 3D trees!

-tom w

Originally posted by McUnknown:

Wow! Cool Mod! :eek: Question:

Are all those Mods used in the screens made by you? Could you give me an URL to down them all. They fit together very good! :D

Thanks.

The sky and most of my buildings are at The Last Defense

The tall buildings are at CMT

Treebases will be included. The grass is Gunslingers I think.

Ok, so I gotta be the annoying grog and ask - are they historically accurate for Europe?

Stunning they are, in spades.

And before anyone jumps down my throat - I sent a picture I found on the internet to a Canadian collector friend. They were Canadian soldiers in Battle Dress, and I asked him where the picture was taken.

He replied Virginia, and I had no idea how he guessed that. It was not a common port of embarkation for Canadians going overseas; most went through Halifax or possibly Montreal, or even Newfoundland.

He replied "the trees." He has been an army engineer for 20 years or so, and apparently can tell the difference.

I sure can't, but am asking out of curiousity - in case anyone else can tell the difference between a European tree and a North American birch...

[ February 21, 2002, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Very astute question, Michael. There are birches in northern Europe and I hear that they look approximately the same as the North American variety, but as I have never been to Europe and beheld them with my own eyes, I could well stand to be corrected.

I suspect that in general, wooded cover in Europe has some significant differences from the N.A. variety. For one thing, I would expect to see far less of the kind of cluttered second growth that is common here in the States (do you have that in Canada?). My impression is that most European forests are more carefully manicured and kept clear of undergrowth. This would allow both freer movement and less concealment if that is the case.

I'd really like to hear from those with extensive first-hand experience on both continents.

Michael

Well I'll be a son of a birch.

Now, I'm not too sure of how much manicuring might have taken place on a sweeping scale during the depression years of pre-WWII Europe, much less once they got busy shooting at each other but I admit I have little first hand experience wandering around European forests. Remember also, we're talking about second growth and underbrush as seen sixty years ago when climates and pollution levels were slightly different, and there was far less population density as well as less governmental oversight for vast environmental projects.

Finally, I'd toss in that the forest floor most likely differs from place to place as it does in N.A. The Ozarks present a much different second growth density for example, than would the Great Smokey Mountains and/or as further compared to the Adirondacks.

Still, we should give the subject its due course of consideration in excruciating detail. Ahem, I seen all this coming ofcourse, and would offer some of my own personal favorite sites for the study of the European Forestry Ecosystem.

Alpine Vegetation

European Larch (Mélèze)

Hurtgen Forest

State of European Forests and Forestry, 1999

European Forests and Protected Areas:

Trends in European forests

and finally, just to get a jump on things...

The Russian Forest Fund:

In general, there are a number of references to European forests containing relative undergrowth free beds, though I caution this would not apply to all forests in all locations. Seasonal changes such as drought, wet seasons, exceptionally cold winters and geographical differentations of climate would all be conditions which would have an impact upon secondary growth and would in many cases be relative to the period of time being discussed. Where, the impact of such seasonal conditions would be limited in long-term effects upon the overall forest ecology, and therefore would result in substantial variences in the amount, type, and appearance of secondary growth within a given forest.

[ February 22, 2002, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Very astute question, Michael. There are birches in northern Europe and I hear that they look approximately the same as the North American variety, but as I have never been to Europe and beheld them with my own eyes, I could well stand to be corrected.

I suspect that in general, wooded cover in Europe has some significant differences from the N.A. variety. For one thing, I would expect to see far less of the kind of cluttered second growth that is common here in the States (do you have that in Canada?). My impression is that most European forests are more carefully manicured and kept clear of undergrowth. This would allow both freer movement and less concealment if that is the case.

I'd really like to hear from those with extensive first-hand experience on both continents.

Michael

Hi all

A source for viewing European style wooded areas is the following couple movies which I am sure we have all seen

A Bridge Too Far which was filmed mostly in Holland/Belgium scenes that are appropriate the 30th Corps breakout (ie Huns in treeline) and James Caans Jeep ride.

Bridge At Remagen, filmed in Czechslovakia as

similar to Rhineland areas.

Battle Of Bulge filmed in N.Spain.

Saving Private Ryan filmed in England and Ireland which both have similar Woodland look to NW France.

Kellys Heroes filmed in old Yugoslavia with vegetation similar to that in parts of Germany

Cross Of Iron filmed in Romania and good approx of European Russia.

Dirty Dozen filmed in England again with good approx of NW France

Doubtless there are other movies with relevant content.

Great mod anyhow

Cheers