More Daimler Teasers + Bonus Mod

I've managed to reposition the unit markings on the Daimler's rear fenders to a different BMP. Here is the result:

daimler_rear.jpg

I think it looks a little better, and I'm glad to trade a slightly higher position for that annoying mirroring.

Here's just a general teaser shot :Dlatest.jpg

And finally, for being so patient I've made a bonus mod--a Mickey Mouse camo version of my UK jeep.mm_jeep.jpg

I also have a question for the commonwealth armor, er, armour grogs out there: does anyone have a good photo or drawing of the rear deck and engine cover of the Mk II armoured car? All the photos I have are of Mk Is, which have a different rear deck treatment than the MkII modeled by CMBO. I guess it's really a WFC kind of thing, but I'd like to add a few more details to that texture.

Also, would there be any squadron or formation markings on the turret, like the various colored circles, squares, triangles, etc you see on the side of some Commonwealth Shermans? Just curious.

It's getting better and better Andrew.

Now that Daimler was very much worth waiting for.

As for the pics.

I do have more of those but all are showing the same models at different angles.

I don't know if you need that.

Keep me posted.

And a BUMP while I'm at it...

:D

Andrew,

Looking very nice. The example or two of markings for Daimler's I've seen actually had the unit serial number and formation sign on the lower

portions of the hull (front and back) rather than on the fenders. And no turret tactical signs that I've seen.

Also, did you ever receive the pic of the prototype snow-covered version of your Jeep I sent?

Gordon

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Gordon ]</p>

From "The British Soldier Vol 2", it appears the most applicable set of markings for the Daimler would be a Green over Blue unit serial number of 44 (with a white bar across the top) as part of the Armoured Car Regiment (Corps Troop) of the Armoured Divisions. Therefore, as a non-brigaded regiment, a white shape would be appropriate as the turret tactical marking.

Gordon

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Gordon ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

What do the colours represent on the unit numbers anyway?

Good work btw!<hr></blockquote>

The background color indicates the type of arm or service that the vehicle belonged to. So at least for NW Europe, a red background signified the Senior Infantry Brigade of an Infantry Division, or the Armoured Brigade of an Armoured Division. Green signified the second Brigade of an Infantry Division or the Infantry Brigade of an Armoured Division. Maroon was used for the Junior Brigade of an Infantry Division.

The placement of a white stripe (along the top or bottom edge, or either diagonal) specified that the unit belong to a command higher than the division.

Gordon

Note, I corrected my earlier post about the approriate color for a tac sign. It would be white, but the shape obviously depends on the vehicle's placement within the regiment, so a diamond, triangle, square, circle or rectangle for HQ, A, B, C or D squadrons respectively.

Also I have found one photo of a Staghound AC with a square on the hull, so I agree with Michael that they certainly could have tactical markings.

Gordon

Andrew,

Stunning work! You are added with Fernando as one of my favourite modders.

Gordon/Andrew, eagerly awaiting Andrew's Uniforms 4 x Super Action Packs in CMMOS v3 incarnation.

Thank you all for your dedicated, excellent work. Make me want to return to this board 4 times per day so as not to miss anything!

Kindest regards,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

------------------

The Irish believe that fairies are extremely fond of good wine. The proof of the assertion is that in the olden days royalty would leave a keg of wine out for them at night. Sure enough, it was always gone in the morning.

-- Irish Folklore (Not according to Fionn Kelly though!)