My epic battle against Swamp...

Ok, i played swamp. I got my butt kicked, but i did surrender early, i had to go. But then, they called back and cancelled so i could have played more. Anyway, i bought a churchill and two m4's, one vet. And four vet british AB and 3 reg. And one 4.2 inch mortar. He bought seven 45 ss rifle squads, 2 vet, six reg. A jgz 70 (or whatever its called and a stuh. I got him to commit a lot of infantry on my left with one platoon lost. My other six platoons crept around a ring of trees undetected, and my shermans in support. My churchill was also in support. Anyway all was good, (my infantry are much stronger then his) but they suddenly opened fire on a distand enemy, giving away their position. Of course swamp brought in his infantry and arty fell. Because I was concentrating on destroying his tank that crested the ridge, i did not move my infantry out of the way, one they gave away their position. Then his arty fell and it was over. Big stuff, a lot of tree bursts. He rushed in some infantry to finish the job. My plan was good, swamp agrees, but I did not move fast enought, damnit. Oh, well i wont be so intimidated next time. It was 94 to 6 i believe. That damn arty. I could have had him.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CombatGeneral:

Ok, i played swamp. I got my butt kicked, but i did surrender early, i had to go. But then, they called back and cancelled so i could have played more. Anyway, i bought a churchill and two m4's, one vet. And four vet british AB and 3 reg. And one 4.2 inch mortar. He bought seven 45 ss rifle squads, 2 vet, six reg. A jgz 70 (or whatever its called and a stuh. I got him to commit a lot of infantry on my left with one platoon lost. My other six platoons crept around a ring of trees undetected, and my shermans in support. My churchill was also in support. Anyway all was good, (my infantry are much stronger then his) but they suddenly opened fire on a distand enemy, giving away their position. Of course swamp brought in his infantry and arty fell. Because I was concentrating on destroying his tank that crested the ridge, i did not move my infantry out of the way, one they gave away their position. Then his arty fell and it was over. Big stuff, a lot of tree bursts. He rushed in some infantry to finish the job. My plan was good, swamp agrees, but I did not move fast enought, damnit. Oh, well i wont be so intimidated next time. It was 94 to 6 i believe. That damn arty. I could have had him.<hr></blockquote>

ROTFLMAO!!! 94 to 6?!?!?!

Yeah, you almost got him! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CombatGeneral,

my congrats (serious) for taking the challenge and doing a readable AAR.

You are not the first to report that several top TH player's artillery feels like 2000 lbs bombs, infantry-seeking image-guided.

Now please keep the humble mood and don't hijack the forum as often as before.

no really guys, i could have gotten a good victory. I only mad one mistake by not moving moving my infantry as soon as they fired, because within four turns, (yes im that stupid, i did not move them) big arty fell right on me. My troops were vastly superior to his, and he only had two platoons infron t of me. But because I was careless and focusing on his tank, i did not move my infantry and take the good ground where I could have killed his two platoons, then taken the flag. Oh well, when I play other players on the top of the ladder I wont be so intimidated. Really, guys, anyone who wants a tcp/ip game can play me. I'll show you what I can do. But my plan was good, and not too bad for only my 8th battle.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Luftwaffe:

until then keep that mouth of yours shut until you can back it.<hr></blockquote>

That's really rich, coming from a junior member with only 21 posts. The whole point of a discussion board is discussion, not keeping your mouth shut. Take another look, WombatGeneral at least posted a coherent para about his latest PBEM and is contributing something to discussion here, even if he does come across as arrogant and immature. You, on the other hand, contributed absolutely nothing with your retarded name calling and taunting.

Maybe you'd like to post your own latest AAR and we can see who laughs then?

Well, we can as well turn the thread into tactics discussion, before everything goes downhill.

no really guys, i could have gotten a good victory. [...] My troops were vastly superior to his, and he only had two platoons infron t of me.

[and then The Artillery]

<hr></blockquote>

I think you can take it for granted that artillery is a more substancial problem than you think now, it is more than "I just forgot to dodge it this time:.

But you may not see it yet, because...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

But because I was careless and focusing on his tank,

<hr></blockquote>

... to hell with tanks. Tanks are amoung them most vulnerable things to have when playing against any experienced CMBO player. They know enough different ways to kill your tanks, and they don't need own tanks to do so. If there is a pattern on TH, then it is that the better the player, the cheaper the tanks, with the exception of the Panzer IV/70 and sometimes the Jagdpanther and tankless players :eek:

On the other hand, new players like you (sorry) are not convined that they can eat any tank with anything they have and hence get hypnotized by the steel monsters (especially by 105mm tanks :cool: ) and that is exactly what happend to you.

However, it buys you nothing to know that.

You next step will probably be that you realize that robust stuff like infantry might be more desireable if you can keep it alife, which in fact leads you to the next problem...

... that artillery will utterly destroy you if you rely on infantry.

At that point you are in real trouble, because you need both good infantry *and* good artillery (and therefore artillery-dodging) abilities and can start reading WW1 tactics primers. Or else you can start gambling with exotic units (which another top TH player does). Or try the tank trick again if you are good in juggling eggs.

I apologize for any misconcepts I may have about fellow TH players.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: redwolf ]</p>

realize if i followed my doctrine and moved my infantry as i always do i would have broken his back. I was not hypnotized by his tank, but it thretened to expose my position. I know a lot about tactics in real life, and I resent the implication that im some little kid who doesnt know what is going on. I know how arty works, but I thought my infantry would be safe for three turns while i dealt with the armor. However, one platoon fired and gave away their position. I hoped swamp did not see that, but he did and targeted arty. Do not insult my intelligence, even though you meant well.

I might just get 1 million dollars! Well, of course if I'd have rich granddad who would die and leave everything to me instead giving it to charity... But I might! I know! :D:D

But seriously, good for you Combat General that you had the guts to show the results of battle to us, old CM farts ;)

And for Swamp: don't bother playing with WARHAMMER, because if you defeat him in the first battle, he will misteriously dissapear into some spacious void right in the middle of second battle (where he'll be also loosing)...

Ooooooh, junior memeber with 21 posts... excuse me if i don't spend my WHOLE life posting on this forum. The comment I made about shutting your mouth, meant not to call out somebody for a battle unless you are sure you can win... but obviously you didn't get that part...

it figures.

Luftwaffe, what’s the fun of playing only apparently inferior opponents? And I reckon it takes more character than you seem to have to post an AAR after suffering total annihilation. CG, you’re doing fine out there. Stick to the moral high ground and brainless ‘contributions’ like LW’s will always fly back in the originator’s face.

Chris Walker

realize if i followed my doctrine and moved my infantry as i always do i would have broken his back. I was not hypnotized by his tank, but it thretened to expose my position. I know a lot about tactics in real life, and I resent the implication that im some little kid who doesnt know what is going on. I know how arty works, but I thought my infantry would be safe for three turns while i dealt with the armor. However, one platoon fired and gave away their position. I hoped swamp did not see that, but he did and targeted arty. Do not insult my intelligence, even though you meant well.<hr></blockquote>

No, GC, my point wasn't that you are stupid. My point is that even if you understand artillery, or all arms, or combination of all arms for that matter, you will still get your clock cleaned by experienced players.

And idiotic riflemen without fire discipline are a fact of life, and commanders need to make their actions robust against them. After all, swamp's riflemen didn't blow his plan to your arty, did they? And even then, you wouldn't have had the arty to exploit it.

It's your decision: do you insist of "I am fine" or do you start learning whereever your worst defects are? But if you start learning, don't followup with th next mistake to believe in any magic formula, see previous posting.

It was 94 to 6 i believe. That damn arty. I could have had him.<hr></blockquote>

It was not an "epic battle", but an epic loss.

-V

There will be a rematch, and victory will go to the one who deserves it. I learn fast, I dont make the same mistakes twice. Swamp has agreed to play me again, ill keep you posted. As for now, back to the practice field, where I shall continue killing nazi germans for a hobby.

Luftwaffe, remember when KiwiJoe went around saying how he was bored of winning and nobody could beat him?

This is the same thing, except that KiwiJoe delivered AND turned out to really be an excellent player.

CG will get beat another 3 or 4 times and then maybe he'll mellow out a bit.

Gyrene