Don't panic

I am panicking, I have two unreleased CM:BO scenarios that I've just got to finish the briefings on. Thing is, now THEY'RE talking about imminient release dates for CM:BB and those damned Beta testers are whetting eveyone's appetites for Eastern Front Fury.

Thing is, will anyone be playing CM:BO any more after the release of CM:BB? We all appreciate that it's the tactical sim of NW Europe 1944-45, but will there be a thirst for stalwart Tommies, tenacious Germans and gum chewing Amis when the Red Bear lumbers over the horizon?

What's a fan of 1st Airborne Division going to do then (and don't point me in the direct of Airborne Assault ;) )?

And those brave modders - I couldn't take all their hard work off my hard drive - it would be a sin...

Woe is me.

Ahhhhh...a healthy dose of Teutonic scorn :D I'm quaking behind my handbag...

Now see, I've started to plan my scenarios for the Eastern Front but, call me sentimental, I just couldn't bring myself to abandon CM:BO. I was playing it last night and I learn't something new (cheeky sniper hidden in scattered trees completely unobserved by passing infantry section - hehehehe - roll on tank commanders).

Now, how could I remove a game that still makes me raise my eye brows in pleasant surprise let alone never play it again?

OR

Should we all go out in an orgy of CM:BO scenarios never to look back again?

Good question Justin. I had wondered and still do about that very thing. It sure sounds like everybody will be playing CMBB for some time to come but I really wonder if it will replace this excellent game and front. I mean I am certainly all excited about CMBB and can't wait to get my hands on it but not play this one? I don't think so. I kind of think that I will be taking turns playing both of them. I know that CMBB will be a more improved game performance and graphic's wise etc but this period in my opinion is probably more preferred or interesting. Plus look at all the excellent mods we have and unless the grahic's in CMBB is very very good it just won't beat this one on looks. I don't mean just pretty but you've got to admit a lot of the fun in this game is the outstanding detail and great looking mods that these modders of ours has given this game. Anyway, I'll continue playing this one but now I'll just have another game to play. Double the fun also.

Spot on ICM, I couldn't agree more.

Whilst I am learning to appreciate the immensity of the Ostfront campaign, I've still a tremendous interest in the events in NW Europe.

From what little I know of CM:BB it looks a cracker, inspirational, and its forthcoming release is driving me to read more (well, at least buy more)books in order to bring myself up to speed with some of those grogs.

I think I'll be like Holien (hello!), playing both games, but not just in same measure.

Question is, will we become extinct - forced to live on a sad diet of Quick Battles as the scenario designers turn their attention to steppes and tractor factories?

Well, I've only just started doing scenarios, and have released one, with two more on the way. However, mine aren't historically based, so I wondered whether I could convert the maps from CMBO to CMBB, and leave the units behind. My maps are a work of art, really.

Originally posted by Farslayer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Justin5471:

I'm sure all wargamers dress this way.

Not quite.

Where's your einheitsfeldmutze? (Sorry, no umlaut or however that is spelled)</font>

Aaahhhhh...the faithful old M1943 Einheitsfeldmutze. I've lways been a fan of caps, but that's beside the point. I've a small collection of WWII helmets, but a cap - now that would be a prize.

Rune - Interesting to hear that maps cannot be transferred from CM:BO to CM:BB.

I always find designing scenarios a pleasure, so I don't think I'll stop designing for CM:BO.

I think the Eastern Front does offer a little more scope and, of course, there's always the novelty of the new. Getting good maps for historical games has always been relatively easy for CM:BO if you're prepared to do the research. But as a thread highlighted recently, obtaining maps of the Eastern Front outside the US could be a little difficult. I'm going to take a look at the Public Records Office at Kew to see what I can find.

I suppose with the release of CM:BB in succession to the relatively recent appearance of CM:BO in high street stores over here in the UK there will still be a steady thirst for CM:BO games as new players come into the fold.

Tell me its true... tongue.gif

Sorry to interrupt the Fashion & Linguistics discussion but I would like to make a statement about continuing to play CM:BO

Western Europe is my theater of choice so no matter what newer version of CM is produced I will play CM:BO 'til they release the next Western Front Version

I also own a laptop (CM to go) which I doubt will run CM:BB very well

So CM:BO will continue to be played by me for some time to come

Again, I couldn't agree more. Jeff's sentiments were echoed at the recent Bovington show.

Despite the threat of being outmoded by CM:BB, CM:BO is still the best simulation of tactical warfare in many people's theatre of choice. Long may it continue (until the rebuild, of course).

As for my fashion sense Holien, let the photo's from Bovington speak for themselves - I got them back at lunchtime.

Quake in fear all you tank-top haters :D

Hmmm I wonder what the photo's show...

I do hope I was dressed decently or the fashio police will be out to get me.

As they should some other people. I thought lederhosen were out of fashion, but I was wrong.

:D

H

I have no doubts that for many, the Western theatre is going to remain of great interest and with good reason.

My personal opinion is that these players will enjoy the gameplay and added features that are going to be available. The hard core are going to start pining for an update to CM:BO to match the functionality of CM:BB which is fine, but I have no idea as to the further plans of BFC in this area.

As to the way CM:BB looks in comparison to a fully modded CM:BO, I have expressed what I believe is the consensus opinion of those present at Rune's that the difference is remarkable.

I have a nice laptop with a 64MB video card that I was able to see the two side-by-side and to my eyes, the difference was a leap as big as what was achieved by the modders over the original graphics.

Having someone with a talented artistic vision focused on presenting a unified world view shows through nicely.

So for 'fans' of the GPW, I am predicting their reaction to this combination of enhanced gameplay, flexibility, graphics, doodads, and theatre will push their enthusiasm towards CM:BB almost exclusively. Rune expressed his opinion that for him and other testers, it was hard to go back to the old way.

My hard drive certainly has room for both and I can't forsee why this would change anytime soon.

BDH

jeffsmith

--------------------------------------------------

Sorry to interrupt the Fashion & Linguistics discussion but I would like to make a statement about continuing to play CM:BO

That was very witty jeffsmith. Good one! Another reason why I simply have to visit this forum each and every day is the humor and witt from all you guys. Cracks me up sometimes.