Division Types: Difference In Units?

"Without me looking them all over, which divisions have more units to choose from and which have less?"

I would assume?! that they are just in the order from to top to bottom as there are on the screen. I believe this is correct.

Infantry

Mechanized

etc..

etc..

naval.. ehehe

etc..

[ December 02, 2002, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Major Jerkov ]

One small example is that Soviet Mech. Divs seem to have vastly different small arms TOEs, i.e. sometimes you can only buy squads that have like 7xSMG & 1xLMG, or all SMG (x7), while Inf. Divs have more "normal" loadouts. The Germans are similar, but not to heavily weighted towards SMGs, think CMBO Motorized and Armored PzG troops.

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

What's the difference in units within division types? (Soviets in particular)

Without me looking them all over, which divisions have more units to choose from and which have less?

Soviet mech and tank corps had more diversity in unit types, since they were built for sustainability and independence in German operational depths. And, Soviet tank/mech corps were not much larger than German panzer divisions, so we're talking of the same formation level for practical purposes.

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

That's funny b/c I could have sworn that Tigers were only in sPz Battalions attached to Heer formations...but I'm no expert compared to the likes of some of this forum's denizens.

There were seperate Heer and SS Tiger battalions. There were about 10 Heer battalions and 3 SS battalions by the end of the war. Several independent companies were also created. For several months during '43 (notably during Kursk) 1st, 2nd, and 3rd SS Panzer divisions had the 13th company of their panzer regiments equipped with Tigers.

Silvio,

That's funny b/c I could have sworn that Tigers were only in sPz Battalions attached to Heer formations...but I'm no expert compared to the likes of some of this forum's denizens.
Partially correct. Most Tigers were in independent sPz Battalions. That is correct. What is incorrect is that they were attached to Heer formations. They were simply attached to whomever was designated for the particular mission. Also, there were both SS and Heer sPz Battalions. Both functioned identically on the battlefield.

The major difference is that only one Heer division, Gross Deutschland Panzer Divisions, had Tigers directly attached to it. Several SS Panzer Divisions had Tigers directly attached to them. So yes, they should be slightly less expensive for SS Mechanized.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...