Google Desktop destroys CMxx performance

Some time ago I reported that I thought Google Desktop slowed CMxx load. I still think that is the case.

However, a new version of Google Desktop has taken it to an altogether different level.

With GD loaded, CMxx is almost unplayable. Each keystroke, in turn plotting, seems to take 1-2 seconds before CMxx actually gets it. Exiting GD at any time (before or duing CMxx play) solves the problem.

Dang - if only PBEMH was still being developed, maybe Fuerte could have made it exit GD on entry to CMxx! I can't live at work without GD. I can't live at play without CMxx. But I only have one laptop! Dang!

GaJ

• 3 weeks later...

if you hit alt-ctrl-delete to bring up task manager you can get an idea of cpu usage by clicking on performance before you start CM.then if you close CM you have a cpu usage chart to refer to.it does not show which application is eating up resources though.

what cpu is in your laptop greenasjade ?

What features of Google Desktop do you have installed and do you also have any 'Gadgets' installed too ?

Though this is very generic 'help', Google does have some support info on the product here. Here are some generic reasons and solutions for system slowdown with Google Desktop. I'm not sure why only CM would be affected with a slow down.

The only other suggestion is that maybe the Google Desktop indexing needs to be turned off while you're playing CM (with 'tweakgds'):

Google Desktop Indexing Problem