Nordic Wannabee Tournament - Redux

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Dogface's position has been overrun. We're getting nothing but static on his line.

Time to call in the reserves pronto, Treeburst.

I think it's fair to say I'll be hardpushed to meet the deadline now, even though all my other games are over halfway or finished.

Don't fret over the deadline too much fellas. When people disappear the works tend to get gummed up quite a bit. I will say however that if you are only managing two turns per week you are going to fall way behind. We're almost into the last month now so it's time to pick it up a bit if you've been lagging.

I'll send a letter to Dogface21. If I don't hear from him in 24 hours I will replace him. Please continue to post here anytime a couple weeks goes by without a response from an opponent.

Fight On!!

Treeburst155 out.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mare Ichthys:

I've had turns from Cooper, Hellfish and Redwolf in the last few days. I'm still waiting for a turn from Rother's replacement, but he did reply to my email inquiry earlier today.

<hr></blockquote>

Rother's replacement seems to be Australian and involved in the firefighting around Sydney. I guess that is a good excuse...

Don't shoot me fellas, but I forgot to get that letter off to Dogface21. I'm doing that the instant I finish posting this message. In 24 hours he gets relieved of command and replaced. I promise.

As for our new man from Australia, Gibsonm, we'll give him a little time to fight his fires. He seemed very interested in the tourney when I signed him on. Now, I'm off to hunt down Dogface21.

Fight On.

Treeburst out.

Dogface21 is hereby relieved of his command. It is further ordered that he spend the rest of his natural life in the Military Confinement Facility at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas as punishment for his cowardice in the face of the enemy. :D

The replacement procedures are underway.

Treeburst155 out.

Hi ciks!

If you have a turn from Dogface21 that you have not processed yet then you should take your turn and send the resulting file to the replacement.

If you are waiting for a file from Dogface21, (most probably the case) you should send the last file you generated to the replacement. IOW, forward to the replacement the last file you sent to Dogface21.

Now, back to finding that replacement. smile.gif

Treeburst155 out.

I agree Mr. Johnson.

A tournament structure and scoring system such as this one makes drop outs a major problem to deal with. My best luck has been in the Wild Bill tournament where we required players to complete applications to get in. I only lost three players in ninety days, and two of them resigned because of Real Life issues. Only one guy dropped out of sight completely, and he was griping about his reinforcements getting shot up just prior to his disappearance. :D

Because of the large amount of work I have to go through to replace drop outs I will not be holding any more first come first serve tournaments. Applications will be required from here on out. This keeps people from signing up for a tourney without thinking about the time commitment first.

Treeburst155 out.

Treeburst,

On other Internet activities were dropouts cause problems for the leftovers, I found that requiring a telephon number helps a lot. If somebody doesn't have a decent campaign or tourney history, verify that the phone number is in fact his.

I found that this caused people to be a lot more straight about accepting the job and getting a clean out afterwards if required. People ignore email with no problem, but for the phone it's different.

I don't mean to do a job interview with him/her nor that harrassing him/her would do good, just the knowledge that the tourney leader has the number help, even without further measures.

That's an interesting idea, Redwolf, and I can see how it would work. I think I would only request a phone number from people who have never participated in one of my tournaments before. Anyone who successfully completes a tourney will have priority in all future tourneys I hold.

There are 72 people involved in three tournaments right now (Invitational not included). In that group is a fairly large pool of reliable tourney players to fill new tourneys, and they would probably be interested too. Sign ups would be opened to this group first, with any remaining slots filled with untested people. Perhaps I will limit the application (with phone number) process to the unknown tournament newbies.

The only way to handle tourneys full of untested participants is with an elimination type tourney. If your opponent doesn't show, you win the match and move on. It's as simple as that.

Perhaps, if SuperTed continues running newbie tournaments, I will require new people to play in one of his tournaments first before they are allowed in mine. I believe his tourney structure is more dropout proof than mine.

In any case, I don't think there will be much of a dropout problem in future tournaments since I have so many proven reliables now who will probably jump on the chance to play in the next tourney. These are the people the tourneys are meant to be for. It is no longer necessary to open up a 24 player tourney to the whole CM community. Hmmm....I like that realization. smile.gif

Treeburst155 out.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Anyone who successfully completes a tourney will have priority in all future tourneys I hold. <hr></blockquote>

Count me in! :cool:

Actually i've realized that *unbalanced* tourney like this is one very damn good way of playing CM: lots of different unusual battles, new opponents you don't have to find yourself, scenarios served on the silver plate AND you don't even have to think up the passwords!

Thanks to Treeburst, Nabla and WBW!

Attention, Section One Guys,

I will be on vacation from Jan 18 to Jan 26. My estimation is that we need to speed up turn exchange in some games to be finished in time (even without the vacation). Also, if you guys would stop doing unexpected things, I could return my files even faster :)

Seriously, I will try to answer moves in the morning (US Eastern time), which hopefully enables three mails/day. So, if you didn't bother to plot at certain times assuming I will only answer 12 hours later anyway, that will not be true anymore.

My game with Rother's replacement did not even start by now, that looks like a TCP/IP case (which I don't like, but he has a good excuse).

Redwolf,

You do not have to do TCP/IP if you don't want. The deadline will probably be extended anyway. IOW, you will not be the only one who has trouble making the deadline. This is due to the several replacements we have had to recruit and Real Life like the fires in Australia.

To all,

Speaking of replacements, Combined Arms will be taking over for Dogface21. Please send your latest files intended for Dogface21 to Combined Arms at: ttravisano@stny.rr.com

I will get him his briefings and passwords within a couple hours. If you are the Allies against Combined Arms (Dogface21) and have not received even a setup turn, let him know. Othewise, he is waiting on turns from all of you.

Welcome to the Wannabee tourney, Combined Arms! Thanks for helping us out.

Treeburst155 out.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Redwolf,

Speaking of replacements, Combined Arms will be taking over for Dogface21. Please send your latest files intended for Dogface21 to Combined Arms at: ttravisano@stny.rr.com

I will get him his briefings and passwords within a couple hours. If you are the Allies against Combined Arms (Dogface21) and have not received even a setup turn, let him know. Othewise, he is waiting on turns from all of you.

Welcome to the Wannabee tourney, Combined Arms! Thanks for helping us out.

Treeburst155 out.<hr></blockquote>

Glad to be aboard--fresh from WBW's Rumblings of War. Looking forward to entering this tournament and getting turns from you all as Dogface21's replacement. I wonder what sort of predicaments I'll find myself in....

Well, I'm now locked in combat with everyone. In three of the five scenarios Dogface21 had set up the first round move orders, then bailed out. The other two are a bit further along but there's some serious catching up to do. I'll get the moves out as fast as I can, but keep in mind I'm playing the early stages of five games at once, plus the other PBEMs I already had gotten going because Rumblings of War was winding down.

BTW, these are some pretty unusual scenarios!

Finished all five!!

This was just fantastic. The idea of “unbalanced” had me guessing and second guessing myself in all the games.

A salute to treeburst and everyone involved for designing/testing/organizing and refereeing the tournament.

I’d also salute my opponents in Group 2 who I’m sure one of which will win the whole shootin’ match.

Well I’m just bursting at the seams to discuss these scenarios with the players who had the same side as me.

Let me sign off before I give something away.

SALUTE!!