Chronological scenarios

Hey all I was wondering if I was the only one who would like to see scenarios on CMBB listed Chronologically.....It would For me at least provide a better flow when choosing a battle or operation. It would even provide a sense of a countinuous campaign. I would be able to tell easily what battles were at the beginnning of Barbarosa to good ol Berlin,(provided the titles are not explicit). I think Talonsoft did this well with thier campaign series....is it too late for CMBB.....?

This was mentioned many times in the "What you want to see in CMBB" threads late last year.

I too am hoping something like that made it in to CMBB.

Be advised you can simply put the date in YY/MM/DD format at the start of your scenarios and they will sort in chronological "Ascending" order...

Stix

Scenarios are listed in alphabetical order. However, before I heard from you, I talked with Berli and came up with a format for scenario desc.

Date, in Year, month day format [42-02-13], Region, Desc, Historical type, Points.

You will understand when you get the game.

Rune

Originally posted by rune:

Scenarios are listed in alphabetical order. However ... came up with a format for scenario desc.

Date, in Year, month day format [42-02-13], Region, Desc, Historical type, Points.

Yes, but can they be organized chronologically? For instance, is there a button that will change them from their default (?) alphabetical listing to chronological.

I, like a few others, would also rather have the scenarios displayed chronologically (or at least an option for it).

Originally posted by CKibler:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rune:

Scenarios are listed in alphabetical order. However ... came up with a format for scenario desc.

Yes, but can they be organized chronologically? For instance, is there a button that will change them from their default (?) alphabetical listing to chronological?

I, like a few others, would also rather have the scenarios displayed chronologically (or at least an option for it).</font>

As far as I'm aware of at this point, NO, there is no chronological ordering of the scenarios. Scenarios are listed strictly by the first alphanumeric character in the scenario name, just like CMBO.

It would be a nice option, but I don't know if it can/would be considered for a future patch.

[ September 12, 2002, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

As far as I'm aware of at this point, NO, there is no chronological ordering of the scenarios. Scenarios are listed strictly by the first alphanumeric character in the scenario name, just like CMBO.

It would ge a nice option, but I don't know if it can/would be considered for a future patch.

It would be a good option, but considering the current functionality of the CM scenario naming and listing, I think it would take some additional design/development work and possibly a change to the CM scenario process (maybe even affecting all of us).

Currently, the CM scenarios are listed alphabetically by name- and the name used is the same as in the file name (look within the CM\Scenarios directories). To get CM to sort the scenarios both alphabetically (basically existing *.CM(*) file name) and by date would pursuing a different option; including:

1) A nasty process, where CM internally launches all *CM files and determines the date and then re-displays the files in a date order. Of course, the more scenarios a player has loaded the longer this could take.

2) BFC changes the naming scheme for the files to include a date value within the structure. Then the module that lists the scenarios would need to be modified to understand the new naming scheme. Of course then all scenario authors would need to follow the same methodology- otherwise you have scenarios just hanging onto the end of the list.

3) BFC creates a new file structure for scenario files where the date is easily separated and the module that lists the scenarios can easily pull out either the scenario name or the date. It is no longer necessary to use the file name for the name of the scenario (e.g., scenarios could be called SCEN001.CM*- the information for name and date would be within the file- not the filename).

In either case, the scenario listing GUI would also have to be enhanced to support 'List By Name' and 'List by Date' buttons.

These were just some quick ideas, and I am not saying that it couldn't be done. I'm sure the BFC guys could easily come to a decision and implement it in a patch. On the other hand, there are other things that could be added (such as setting ground conditions in scenarios/QBs different than the weather) that would have more value. Or, just more 3D models....