Winter Wonderland !?!?

Has anyone won this short scenario? If so my hats

off to you. Don't want to commit any spoiler stuff here but, my god, I've tried several times and decisive defeat is the best I have done. How in the hell do you advance infantry across open ground in a blizzard aginst dug in machine guns and infantry (heavly outnumbered also) without armor support or smoke. Someone please..........teach me something about infantry tactics. When in hell is that strategy guide going to get here??

Here is a tip.

SPOILERS!!!

Don't have your Germans head right toward the objectives. Try and reach the road AWAY from the Victory Locations. (Far to the LEFT and Right of any Victory Locations.) There you'll find scattered trees at roadside that will provide some cover.

Then, as you leap frog your squads (and halfsquad scouts) toward the objectives from tree cover to tree cover, you'll uncover the Russians in more manageable bits.

Since the scenario offers enough time. Move your platoons forward in "baby" steps. 2 or 3 squads in overwatch as one squad jumps forward. Make sure your scouting squad/half squad does not move forward beyond the overwatch squads LOS into the blizzard.

Also, as your squads leapfrog each other they can utilize the road for fast/ADVANCE/ASSUALT movement, instead of the DEEP SNOW which is a real exhausting route. Or you can just MOVE TO CONTACT through the scattered trees.

Also, I found my flameteam was Great! Especially with an area fire order. smile.gif

Good luck!

Gpig

HEhehee... yup, that one's a biatch ain't it? I've tried the approach gpig suggests, but I guess I was too slow in movement and I ran out of time. DEFINITELY a tough scenario, though.

BTW - This thread really ought to be in the "Scenario Talk" discussion forum. There may already be some discussion concerning this .cme in that forum.

Good luck.

Spoiler warning!

I also tried moving directly towards the flags on my first try (ouch!), but on the second try I placed my troops far away from the flags near the roads and moved towards the covered terrain next to the road first. Then I advanced very slowly (my game went until turn 20) using MTC most of the time. Advance and assault should only used on the road, otherwise the units will be exhausted in no time. The flamethrower teams did most of the routing work. End result was IIRC a 79:11 major victory. smile.gif

Dschugaschwili

Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

Spoiler warning!

I also tried moving directly towards the flags on my first try (ouch!), but on the second try I placed my troops far away from the flags near the roads and moved towards the covered terrain next to the road first. Then I advanced very slowly (my game went until turn 20) using MTC most of the time. Advance and assault should only used on the road, otherwise the units will be exhausted in no time. The flamethrower teams did most of the routing work. End result was IIRC a 79:11 major victory. smile.gif

Dschugaschwili

That's the tactic that's good for a major victory almost every time.

Here's what I expected players to notice...

1) Line of sight was very short. You can move freely in front of the VLs until you get close.

2) The only cover is along the road.

It seems logical to me that the weak points would be the road away from the VLs. To the best of my knowledge, only two people caught those two critical points first time out (one being a play tester).

Berlichtingen:

I noticed the first point on my first try, but I hoped I could reach the cover without getting shot to pieces. This game was one of my first CMBB battles (perhaps the tenth if I also count the demo battles), and the first one with night, very low visibility, and deep snow, so I didn't know yet that you can't even advance 20m without exhausting. We all learn...

Dschugaschwili

Well moved 5th time and again I went along road and atleast I thought that I used all the cover(of those stupid trees) and moved some half squads on as scouts and tried moving on small steps and so on and so on... total defead!

my quys won't just spot those ruskies not even their fuc...foxholes. One time I actually spotted a Mg by sending a half-suad on death patrol(so it opened fire earlier) and as I tried supress it...it just killed my whole platoon, lol. :(

Conclusion: 1.I'm very very stupid. or: 2.Time to send hate-mail.

1. Is more likely true ,but I'm just gonna go whit latter :Dtongue.gif

Originally posted by coe:

In deep snow do you get more concealment? even in a road? I don't mean cover as in something that wards off bullets, but supposedly if the snow is really deep and you fall into it, you might be less visible?

I don't think so. The deal is, yeah, if you lay down in the snow you're kind of "hull down", but snow is REALLY flat, compared to regular ground. Since the game models the fact that open ground isn't really perfectly flat, and has minute amounts of cover, I think it kind of balances out. I.e., although you're "hull down" in the snow, it's easier to see you than if you were on open ground with more undulations.