Killing a KT with a Bazooka team?

The reason I ask is because I had decided to play a QB tonight (600 pt, german armor vs comb. arms) as the Allies. I ended up with 3 vet. 'zooks and an M8 as my AT assets. And then guess what I see rolling my way, a KT!

Nothing could scratch the thing (even from 33 meters). Didn't help the AI too much, though, as I still managed a major victory while the KT prowled around my rear looking for shots (nasty terrain).

So, outside of divine intervention, has anyone been able to KO a KT with a bazooka team?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cameroon:

The reason I ask is because I had decided to play a QB tonight (600 pt, german armor vs comb. arms) as the Allies. I ended up with 3 vet. 'zooks and an M8 as my AT assets. And then guess what I see rolling my way, a KT!

Nothing could scratch the thing (even from 33 meters). Didn't help the AI too much, though, as I still managed a major victory while the KT prowled around my rear looking for shots (nasty terrain).

So, outside of divine intervention, has anyone been able to KO a KT with a bazooka team?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have taken out multiple KT and JagdTigers with elite bazooka teams in my training scenarios called Bazooka Hunt and Bazooka Hunt II. I have pictures that show a elite HQ unit taking out a KT from the front at 25 meters with 2 hand grenades. You definately have to get a close rear shot to take out those bad mammas.

I'm just hiding in a city environment against ten KTs (winter, dec44, snow). I achieved multiple hits on veteran KTs, but it's hard to get a rear shot, im ensircled somehow. It's not hopeless, because my engineers have some DCs.

My veteran Bazooka teams hold their heads down, until a real good shot is achievable. The problem is, that my enemy knows which building contains bazooka teams and reduces them to rubble, if they fire early.

IMO it's a gamble. Good luck.

Maybe it's possible to knock KTs out if you own elite teams. But against elite KTs there is low chance to really hurt them with bazookas.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Commander:

I have taken out multiple KT and JagdTigers with elite bazooka teams in my training scenarios called Bazooka Hunt and Bazooka Hunt II. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried those scenarios. They're fun as hell. Sometimes you have to penetrate a KT two or three times before it'll roll over.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rodimzew:

Maybe it's possible to knock KTs out if you own elite teams. But against elite KTs there is low chance to really hurt them with bazookas.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no difference in knocking out tanks with elite bazookas comparing with conscripts except in chance per hit. Weapon (bazooka) has the same armor penetration numbers no matter if the unit is green or elite. It's just that with elite unit you have better chance to hit, but elite crews don't mean that they have more penetration...

Also elite tanks don't have extra armour on so they are just as easily to knock out as green ones...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Porajkl:

Also elite tanks don't have extra armour on so they are just as easily to knock out as green ones...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but elite crews might be less likely to bail if they take crew casualty, might be shocked for a shorter period of time, and they can be faster to acquire targets and perhaps more effective with MG fire against the bazooka when spotted. Since KTs are so robust, this could make a huge difference in a standoff.

Posted by Rodimzew:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm just hiding in a city environment against ten KTs (winter, dec44, snow). I achieved multiple hits on veteran KTs, but it's hard to get a rear shot, im ensircled somehow. It's not hopeless, because my engineers have some DCs.

My veteran Bazooka teams hold their heads down, until a real good shot is achievable. The problem is, that my enemy knows which building contains bazooka teams and reduces them to rubble, if they fire early.

IMO it's a gamble. Good luck.

Maybe it's possible to knock KTs out if you own elite teams. But against elite KTs there is low chance to really hurt them with bazookas. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you hide the troops in the rubble once he's demolished the buildings? He won't know they're there and rubble is excellent cover.

A good scenario for the practise of hunting tigers with zooks is Elsdorf --- if you flank right with your zooks up to the road running thru the forest (take a platoon or 2 --you have to clear the area) you get to play with up to 5 KT's all at once while hiding in a forest. You can practise hit and run or an end run (save the game and work the scenario different ways -- smoke and then attack is the best)-- I've managed to kill up to 3 by which time the others have no interest in that road anymore --

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Why don't you hide the troops in the rubble once he's demolished the buildings? He

won't know they're there and rubble is excellent cover. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, you're welcome, but the enemy will not reduce buildings for fun. He must first see STH to fire at and i have no units left to act as dummies. After several turns there is some rubble, of course and i'm just waiting for a KT to come along with eyes wide shut.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CMplayer:

[QB they can be faster to acquire targets and perhaps more effective with MG fire against the bazooka when spotted.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

I would agree that more experienced tank crews are less likely to bail, but I would question the theory that they can acquire targets more quickly. I myself have seen no evidence of this. They have a lower delay penalty when moving, a higher percentage chance of hitting and lower reload time after the first shot. Other than that they can be just as blind as a green or conscript crew when it comes to spotting enemy units.