conflict answer... about seek hull down

I've done a search on the topic and theres alot of answers but alot of conflicts in the answer, so going to ask again...

To properly use the seek hull down position command... do you drag your seek hull down line out to the area or target you want to hull down too, or do you just pull it to the top of the creast you want your tank to hull down at?

and any tips on properly using the shoot and scoot commande would be appreciated to...

Thx in advance...

You put it where you want to shoot at, so to speak.

More than once my tank happily drove there - although the terrain looked hulldownable the engine decided it is not and then the tank drives where you pointed.

One of the not-so well thought out new CMBB commands. Needs an additional waypoint.

My experience with the hull down command has been that you only want to extend the line as far as you feel comfortable having the vehicle move, as, if hull-down is not found, it will go as far as you have the path drawn. Like so many situations, the cover arc command (generally cover armor) must be used with this to ensure that you reach hull-down relative to a possible target in the area you specify.

Shoot and scoot also requires the cover armor command to maximize success. I like to go down to level 1 to put the first waypoint in place in a spot that should have LOS to the potential target, then place the reverse waypoint far enough back that LOS will be lost to possible return fire. Try to pay particular attention to height differences such a ridge, that you can just hit the edge of, shoot, then reverse behind. Then, try to pop-up from a spot that is lateral to the last one, so if your opponent has a narrow cover armor command, you can get the first shot on anyone covering where they expect you to show yourself.

With Seek Hulldown, you just place the waypoint on the point that you want to be hulldown to, not where you want to be hulldown from. Few locations are hulldown to everywhere at once (dug in vehicles are, for instance), thus the only way that command can work is to look to be hulldown to the point you specify.

Do you know where the "drag the waypoint" tip came from? I've heard it on the board, too, but in my games seen no evidence that dragging the waypoint does anything? So I'm curious smile.gif

As for Shoot and Scoot...

This command requires you to place the first waypoint very carefully. Until the unit gets to the "Fast, Shoot" waypoint it is very vulnerable to being targetted and shot at.

The second waypoint, if placed behind the vehicle, will be execute a reverse to that point after the shoot. If it is in front, then it will be a fast move to that point.

So, like the cover arcs, it can come back and bite you if you aren't careful smile.gif Actually, both of those commands can do that.

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

...Like so many situations, the cover arc command (generally cover armor) must be used with this to ensure that you reach hull-down relative to a possible target in the area you specify.

AFAIK a cover arc does not modify your chance to be hulldown to anything. What it would do, however, is make sure you're TC is looking in the right direction. My understanding is that Seek Hulldown tries to go hulldown to a specific point of land, not a specific target.

In my experience your AFV will seek hull down position reletive to the waypoint set.

I have noticed that los plays a part.

If your hull down waypoint is set behind tall pines for example the AFV will continue on disreguarding sutable hull down positions because it cannot draw a los to the waypoint.

Originally posted by redwolf:

Needs an additional waypoint.

Exactly; thank you.

#1) Quit where?

#2) HD with respect to what point?

As you say, I also was disturbed to find my tank happily driving across the entire battlefield when it decided the local choices weren't good enough.

So for now I just stick my nose in view #1 and do some intensive land surveillance. smile.gif

Eden

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

My experience with the hull down command has been that you only want to extend the line as far as you feel comfortable having the vehicle move, as, if hull-down is not found, it will go as far as you have the path drawn.

But that doesn't work. It will seek a position which is hulldown when seem from your path endpoint, not from the point on the other end of the map where you think the ISUs will show up.

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

Exactly; thank you.

#1) Quit where?

As you say, I also was disturbed to find my tank happily driving across the entire battlefield when it decided the local choices weren't good enough.

So for now I just stick my nose in view #1 and do some intensive land surveillance. smile.gif

Eden</font>

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

Exactly; thank you.

#1) Quit where?

Eden</font>