Patch link missing from CDVs site

Dear All,

Just tried to get the patch from CDVs site and only the link to the Demo is available from there. The patch also appears to be missing from the German PC Games site that the patch link did go to last Friday.

Had a search through here and managed to get the patch from:

http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/combatmission2/cmbb_v1_01_patch.exe.html

Took a few attempts to get the download started but got there in the end.

Many thanks for all the posts and links on the patch. smile.gif

Odd as it was there the other day. I know they were supposed to be updating the French Page to link to the patch soon. Hopefully they are just in the progress of updating all the sites and this will soon be rectified. Either way, we will contact them to figure out whats going on.

Madmatt

As of this morning : The English, French and German pages of www.combatmission.de don't (so far as I can see) have links to the patch. The french link appeared to be plain old broken, the others only list the demo.

Mutter mutter... Can't get it to work on 2k mutter...

I looked on gamesweb.com (where CDV point you for downloads) and I could only find the demo on there as well (although my German is excrable so I could be mistaken).

Any news from BFC or CDV on this little gem? I'm not downloading it because I, too, have Win2K and don't want to chance things going belly up. Well, that's the second reason. The first reason is that downloading a 68mb file on a 56k modem with a 2-hour timeout is impossible (will need download accelerator or something).

Incidentally, if the US patch is 25MB, then (pardon my french) what the flying **** is the CDV patch coming in at 68MB for?

Originally posted by Soddball:

Incidentally, if the US patch is 25MB, then (pardon my french) what the flying **** is the CDV patch coming in at 68MB for?

IIRC it was to do with the CDV patch including a number of textures, graphics etc which had to be left out due to the CDV version having to go gold earlier than the BFC version to allow for translations and a greater production lead in time.

I would imagine that like every owner of the CDV version I am less than impressed with CDV :mad: I have just downloaded the European version of the patch from the link at the top of this thread. File size only came out at about 66MB! Has anyone else used the patch from this link? Does it work ok?

Any news from BFC or CDV on this little gem? I'm not downloading it because I, too, have Win2K and don't want to chance things going belly up. Well, that's the second reason. The first reason is that downloading a 68mb file on a 56k modem with a 2-hour timeout is impossible (will need download accelerator or something).

Soddball- Get Get Right

Another related thread mentioned that the SS runes "re-appear" under the 1.01 patch.

Now, given that CDV are based in Germany, I wonder if they've yanked the patch for that reason? (IIRC they have some strict laws about Nazi symbolism in Germany).

But yeah, next time... I'm going to wait the extra time for shipping and get a copy of the US version posted to me. Prompt support, larger playerbase and no bizarre compatibility problems.

(The PBEM CDV vs BFC thing seems to be more than a myth)

Bah and indeed, humbug.

Originally posted by Quintus:

next time... I'm going to wait the extra time for shipping and get a copy of the US version posted to me.

Unfortunately it's not even an option, unless you know a kind-hearted American player who will do it for you...

Prompt support, larger playerbase and no bizarre compatibility problems.
Amen to that ... you're pushing against an open door as far as I'm concerned, Brother Quintus smile.gif

Has the PBEM incompatibilty problem ever been confirmed?

As in, somebody setting up the game from the side which didn't work (I think German setup to US partner didn't work?) and sending the screwed up result to me or Madmatt or somebody?

I directly asked back to some folks who reported the problem, but the answers were too muddy for me to jump on CDV for it [edit: Bummer...]

[ November 27, 2002, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Originally posted by Quintus:

Stupidly, I deleted my old PBEM directory that held my abortive attempts to set up a PBEM with a US player running the BFC version of the game.

If it recurs with a future opponent, I'll make a point of sending it in.

It is probably fixed in the 1.01 patch.

If you can please send me a 1.00 setup. I am extremly curious about this issue.

I downloaded the patch via the link at the top of this thread (66mb) and it seems to have patched the CDV UK version without any problems.

In the scenario selection screen all my previous "WG" icons have been replaced with "SS", however, as expected, the mission briefings still refer to WG and QB's still give me WG units to select.

I wouldnt get too excited about it as im sure the next patch will put everything back to a nice little german sanitised version.

WARNING - - -MINOR ANTI-CDV RANT

I dont know if the patch is back on the CDV site...i have as little to do with that site as possible ... but im sure when it returns the German thought police will have corrected their error.

Though annoying to be tied to over sensitive german censorship rules, the WG Vs SS issue makes no difference to the game play - However with screwed up game release dates, patches being released then withdrawn and CDV's general lack of enthusiasm for what is arguably the best game they have ever been associated with ...... i'll never buy a CDV released game again !

MINOR RANT OVER!

Lou2000

>All this begs the question: Assuming something's

>changed, was there something seriously wrong

>with the first version of the CDV patch and if

>we downloaded it, do we now need to get

>the "new" one?

Now I have gotten over my initial idiocy with the patching issue, the version I downloaded earlier this week seems to work okay and my PBEM with a US player who has run the US 1.01 patch seems to be going okay.

There was a post from Battlefront that mentioned something about CDV doing some website work so I suppose it COULD be that they just forgot to re-link to the patch.

If I'm feeling masochistic, I'll download the 'new' version and compare two files but at 65 meg, that's a real appetite for pain.

Originally posted by Lou2000:

Snip...

WARNING - - -MINOR ANTI-CDV RANT

....and CDV's general lack of enthusiasm for what is arguably the best game they have ever been associated with ...... i'll never buy a CDV released game again !

MINOR RANT OVER!

Lou2000

Whilst I agree with some of your sentiment, CDV have one achievement, they have got the product into the shops and from there into peoples homes. I have even seen CMBB appearing on some software charts! All this means more sales = more revenue for BFC = more incentive to carry on the good work and produce patches and more importantly CM 3 with the engine rewrite.

For that reason and that alone I am willing to "accept" their involvment with our beloved game.

Edited due to Excessive Caps Lock

[ November 28, 2002, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: CavalryMan ]