Light Tanks

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

The answer is pretty obvious:

The most potent (and expensive) light tank in the game is the M24 Chaffee.

It's darn close to the vanilla Shermans with same gun, not so bad armour and good mobility.

Cheers

Olle

I love it. Same gun, and Sherm armor doesn't matter anyway :rolleyes: so it just gains mobility without losing anything in terms of survivability

I agree that on paper, the Chaffee is the best light out there, but in practice, I've had much better luck (key word here being luck) with the Stuart. Best result so far would be a night battle when I lost 3 of my Shermans early to a Hummel. My opponent had a small army of armor massing for a push. (2 Pz-IV, JPz-IV, the Hummel, and a STuH) Well, my AT resources had been hunted down and killed quickly, so all I had left was my little Stuart. Feeling suicidal, they went and charged around a little copse of trees and drove right through the gathering. By the time the turn was over and they had circled around the trees again, they had killed both Pz-IV and the STuH. Feeling lucky, they continued around the woods next turn and once again ran through the now burning wreckage. End result, 5 enemy armored vehicles dead, 1 Stuart being followed by the curses of my PBEM opponent as he scooted back to friendly lines. :D The Stuart is a good tank to get out of trouble in. It's fast, and the rate of fire is high enough to make the enemy keep their heads down. That one definitely earned his CMoH that night.

Frankly, I fail to see the advantage in using up armor points on Stuarts. Those HE rounds aren't very effective against infantry. Basically, they just suppress. Now, if it's used in conjunction with another tank, preferably something with a 75 gun, then I gues they might be effective. Alone though, why waste the armor points?

With the Germans, the best light armor is over on the vehicles screen. SPW-251/9s are good at suppressing infantry, with their 75mm HE. PSW-234/1s are good at dealing with enemy light vehicles and at scouting, and have enough ammo to hose enemy infantry positions almost indefinitely (the Lynx is similar, but uses scarcer and more valuable armor points).

When you buy cheap things on the armor screen, though, go for the SP guns. Hetzers combine excellent front armor with a useful AT gun. Hummels clobber any infantry position; the limited ammo doesn't matter at all with 150mm HE. These are both cheaper than Stuarts but vastly more effective in their particular roles.

When you buy cheap things on the armor screen, though, go for the SP guns. Hetzers combine excellent front armor with a useful AT gun. Hummels clobber any infantry position; the limited ammo doesn't matter at all with 150mm HE. These are both cheaper than Stuarts but vastly more effective in their particular roles.

One problem there bud. Hummels & hetzers are really nice and I agree they ARE better in their own roles but you forgot one thing....those are german. Stuwarts are american. Most american tanks at the time were how should i put this? "Inferior to their german counter parts" SO how can you compare a German TD and inf gun to an american light tank?

I have had serious luck with the Chaffee. Twice now in about 7 or 8 games with them I have bounced a 88mm shell from a KT of the hull, the sloped armour is great.

Also the Chaffee does not use the same gun as the Sherman, it uses a gun derived from the Mitchell (a bomber) although I believe it could use the same ammo.

Considering the suspension, sloped armor and gun I would almost choose the Chaffee over most models of the Sherman.

Light tank. That's an oxymoron isn't it?

The best light tank is one that is still running and shooting at the end of the battle. If you are going to hit mediums, then you want something with punch, or something that runs like a rabbit. So, either the M25 Chaffee, or the M5 Stuart.

German light tanks were too much into the scout range or infantry support role, in my opinion.

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

I knew the M24 was using a bomber gun, but i've always wondered how did this plane use a 75mm , and for what purpose exactly ? :confused:

It made a serious mess of any shipping it encountered on low-level coastal attacks...

Not sure. I would imagine it was underneath the fuselage.

I know it's comparing apples with oranges, but the German Henschel HS-129 was a close-support aircraft, and some models carried a 75mm AT gun for tank-busting. That was mounted under the fuselage.

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

Was it placed in the nose of the Mitchell ?

Yup, it was in the nose - along with 8 .50cals! A google search for B25H shows up some pages and images.

The reason it was used was due to the fact it was very compact. I am away from my resources but I believe it had some type of coil recoil system which saved a lot of space. Since it preceded the Pershing in production you could say the Chaffee was the first "modern" tank the Americans put into production (torsion bar suspension, sloped armor, I believe it had a 4 man crew, etc).

The M24 was by far the best light tank used by the americans by far. The germans however overlooked (except for the lynx) the need for a light tank and rather relied on their scout vehicles to do the recon. How could they have done this with their massive R&D department?(research & development for all of you who don't know)