Ok, thanks all for your help in prior threads, MOD question now :)

What is a good MOD to enhance the graphics.

And... are there any mods that actualy increase the poly counts and show full 12 man squads? Instead of the 3 men that are visible?

Thanks for your help once again.

I have been to several MOD sites, but to be honest, i have yet to see one site that actualy describes what the MOD does!

Thanks again,

Aha! A Newbie!

What a mod does:

Replaces the game's okay (or ugly) art files (BMP format) with hopefully nicer more accurate looking files. Almost everything you see on screen has an updateable BMP "skin".

There are LoRes (low resolution) mods that match the detail of the games default art, and there are HiRes (high resolution) files that are larger and contain more detail. They both do the same thing, the bigger type requires more memory.

Can't show full 12 man squad.

Can't alter muzzle flash or projectile/tracer color.

Mods are a matter of taste. There are many excellent mods out there including multiple mods for the same vehicle or terrain. Virtually every graphic in my game has been changed to a new mod by these excellent mod makers. Mods will not change how a squad or vehicle performs on the battlefield. Mods only used to make the graphics look really cool. Also, squads will only be depicted by three men or two men if the detail is lowered.

If you're happy with the graphics that came with the game, that's fine. Otherwise, 'shop around' and check out all of the mods that are available. That's what I did. Kudos to BTS for making CM fastastic and also making the graphics easily editable by the public and kudos to the many dedicated mod makers who help to make a great game even better. Also almost forgot the many great scenario makers out there. CM has one of the most dedicated group of active followers out there.

007 Commander:

I can not nor will not recommend any mods as there are so good ones out there. I really don't think there are 'standard' ones but maybe certain grass textures or complete terrain mods such as the Normandy mod come to mind. I know I spent a long time cruising the net and checking out the pictures of mods before deciding to download a mod to try out in the game. Maybe check out these sites and some other users can recommend other sites to you:

Combat Mission HQ

Combat Missions

CM Outpost

[ January 31, 2002, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Wally's World ]

Another newbie, I asked many of the same questions about a week ago and spent the better part of last weekend sifting through all the mods and finding the ones that looked the most promising. It's kind of tedious but worth the effort.

I won't be shy about what I like. The improved building mods make a big difference. The fire and explosion mods are great, as are all the vehicle mods I tried. I never did find any grass mods I really liked -- they all look way too much like astroturf to me. Can anyone direct me to some "dirty" grass?

Originally posted by Ignatious J. Fathead:

I won't be shy about what I like. The improved building mods make a big difference. The fire and explosion mods are great, as are all the vehicle mods I tried. I never did find any grass mods I really liked -- they all look way too much like astroturf to me. Can anyone direct me to some "dirty" grass?

gunnergoz01.jpg

gunnergoz02.jpg

Gunnergoz's Darkfield Grass

Best subdued grass out there IMO. Not as dark and dreary as some of the other subdued mods, where it perpetually looks like it's cloudy and November. Does a good job of simulating year round environments, and of course it doesn't have the stock BTS video game gold course look.

[ January 31, 2002, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Captain Wacky ]

There's no-doubt that thanks to the hard work and dedication of "our" modders, CMBO has never looked better, but i think it should also be said that the original in-game graphics were produced by a very small team of obviously talented artists, but one's who had to "paint" a HUGE amount of material, AND do all that under strict deadlines. My point is this: 3rd party modders work under no such pressure, and so can spend a lot more time perfecting their work than that afforded to the original artists.

I'd still rather play CM:BO with it's stock graphics than any other wargame i can think of.

Originally posted by Manx:

My point is this: 3rd party modders work under no such pressure, and so can spend a lot more time perfecting their work than that afforded to the original artists.

True.

An other thing.

Third Party MODers decide what MODs they want to work on.

The ones they have info or pics to work from.

And so on.

It's a luxury noone at BTS had.

Only thing they could have done differently if you do remember the HUGE debate opposing the partisans of Bright against those of Subdued, is to have been a tad less joyful with the Brightness Slider.

That goes within time constraints, when you do a full range of MODs it does not take longer to apply setting A than B...

And I'm with you 100%, I'd rather play an unMODed CMBO than some creepy other wargames.

:D

Thanks all for your help, I have already begun to download some mods. Still waiting for the game to arrive. We orderd it yesterday. It said like 3-7 days for shipping.

I cant wait. Im still having a blast with the demo. I even got the demo working with TCP/IP he he...

Hey, is there a MOD package to cover alot of things. Like one mode for all allie units, or one mod for all german units. There seem to be mods for ONE type of unit over the others.

Another question, I want to download some winter mods, however will these only show up in winter scenerios? Or do I just have to keep changing the mods back and fourth.

Also, can someone tell me what CMMOS is?

Thanks again everyone,

Your winter mods will be automatically shown during battles where there is snow on the ground. You don't need to change them back and forth.

There are some big mods which do a lot at once. Magua's excellent Normandy Mod is one which springs to mind. However most mods just work on one unit at a time.

I don't use CMMOS but I'm sure someone will advise soon. Glad you're having fun with the game smile.gif

My hat's off to the default game artists (artist?) as well. He, she, or they don't get enough praise. Just take a run through ALL the bmp files to get an idea of the daunting task of making this game.

Me, I spent... 6 months(?) mulling over my Churchill mod. If I was the default art artist you'd STILL be waiting for CMBO to come out!

And let's not forget upcoming CMBB. 300 vehicles promise? I shudder to think of the labor involved.