Paderborn - Far From Over.... pictures and analysis..

Well, I'm 30 turns into the sherman vs tiger battle on the Paderborn 3rd party scenario.

I didn't know that Shermans can't kill Tigers worth crap. The Shermans rounds just bounce off Tiger armor like ping pong balls.

I'm gonna lose this one probably frown.gif.

The web page with thumbnails is

http://www.geocities.com/sparky9292

Here is what's left of my Sherman as he tries to get off a flank shot on a tiger:

pd10.jpg

Yes, here's another one of my Shermans getting mauled by a Tiger. *sigh*

pd7.jpg

Anyway, if anyone can give me a little comfort and sympathy as my remaining Shermans and jacksons get squished, I'd appreciate it.

frown.gif

Ouch, that's gotta' hurt. I can't think of much comfort in this situation. I did win this same scenario as the Allies though (against AI). There are some good hull-down positions for the Allies. I had to double and triple team the Tigers from the flanks. I also remember using the trees to good effect.

GP

Initially, did real well as the US against the AI.

Spoiler Alert.....

Drove down the main road and took up an excellent hull down position near the intersection. The King Tigers (KTs) came on giving me perfect flank shots. Killed 4 right there in a pile by having 3 Sherms side by side.

Tried to sneak 3 sherms down the town on the right flank. Was surprised by the KTs moving into the town and lost 2 of those tanks.

Well, the battle started into a flame-fest as the KTs gained the high ground in the center and started plucking my boys off. Had inf. at the crossroads but lost most of my armor.

I think there are 3 KTs left and some german Inf , but don't think I can pull this one off. A real nail-bitter when I saw what I was up against......

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

SPOILER********************

I took a different approach and I moved to flank the Tigers. The area they are in, is a valley surrounded on three (almost) sides with hills. I put Shermans around the rim of the hill and then moved them all over the hills into firing position in one turn. There were targeting lines all over the place. The Shermans each got off a couple of shots before popping smoke and moving back behind the cover of the hills. That worked very well for those KT's on that part os the map. In town it is a different story. You can try to flank them with your TDs, but I found that good use of your AT teams works well. Move them from building to building until you can flank the KTs.

Excellent scenario by the way, challenging from both sides.

[This message has been edited by ACTOR (edited 10-20-2000).]

Nice screen shots, Sparky, well at least the graphics are good wink.gif

Remember, these are not just Tigers, they are King Tigers, heavier armor, bigger gun, a very formidable opponent for the Sherman.

AS Airborne suggests, you have to gang up on a King Tiger with Shermans, isolate it and hit it from various directions at once. A one on one confrontation will most likely turn your Sherman into a Krispy Kritter eek.gif

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Yes those Roayl Tigers(King Tigers) have a realy big punch

------------------

Fight for your right!To play CM!:)

Join Rob's CMMC today Email me at <A HREF="mailto:Robisme_ca@hotmail.com

">Robisme_ca@hotmail.com

</A> Rob

For more info on Rob;s CMMC go to Robs CMMC HQ

For what it's worth, Sparky9292, I played this game first as the US Side in PBEM. By turn 15, after my opponent lost his fifth King Tiger and was about to lose his sixth, he called for a truce. I had lost three M4's in the same time.

So if you're in a "revenge mood" to see the shoe on the other foot for the Germans, I can e-mail the PBEM movie to you.

• 1 month later...

Its amazing what a King Tiger can do.I played this scenario several times months ago from both perspectives, and it is a great one.One of my favorite post CM missions Wild Bill has done.

It can be won Sparky, gang up and flank. If you get into a close range frontal conflict you will be made mince meat easily.

Got any more good ones in the works WB ?

Wild bill posts:

AS Airborne suggests, you have to gang up on a King Tiger with Shermans, isolate it and hit it from various directions at once. A one on one confrontation will most likely turn your Sherman into a Krispy Kritter.

Heck, I pretty much gang up on all German tanks when it comes to using Shermans. Safety and victory in overwhelming numbers. LOL

~Skott Karlsson~

• 3 weeks later...

I have played this about 5 times -- at first I did well even with an M-8 as he got two King Tigers from the side by him self -- but then I gave the Ai + 3 in experience and boy was it a different game-- I got easily beaten -- which is how it really happened-- my favorite scene was when one of the KT's came down the road after one of the shermans -- after a 76 rico'ed off the front armor- the Sherman poped smoke and reversed -- the KT came through the smoke down the road with 88's and mg's going and got the sherman a truck and an HT-- it was an interesting sight to see the tracers come through the smoke followed by the source ---the KT-- it was cool smile.gif glad it was not real but it is fun in this game.