CMBB: Motorcycles In or Out?

The Germans sure did have a lot of Motorcycle Infantry, in Recon Battalions and also whole Motorcycle Infantry Battalions. Often, these advance elements of the German motorized divisions would ride their motorcycles right into a town or village with the purpose of capturing it, which seems to me to fall within the scope of CMBB.

I have not heard much about motorcycles recently. Are they in or out?

If it was up to me I would say get them in.

They can give a player a good fast recon unit,though very vulnerable to anything that fires on them

but.....................I can allready hear certain players jelling

gamey recon,gamey units,gamey actions redface.gif

so its better to let them out :(

Originally posted by Runyan99:

The Germans sure did have a lot of Motorcycle Infantry, in Recon Battalions and also whole Motorcycle Infantry Battalions. Often, these advance elements of the German motorized divisions would ride their motorcycles right into a town or village with the purpose of capturing it, which seems to me to fall within the scope of CMBB.

I have not heard much about motorcycles recently. Are they in or out?

Please, please... yes motorcycles, must have motorcycles, must have the BMW boxer-engined side-car outfits... please, please, nice BTS, please?

Yeknod

Yes, however, the problem with the gamey use of jeep recon was the fact that there is no vehicle moral in CMBO. This artificially high level of bravery allowes people to take advantage of the high speed and high mobility of a jeep to perform very deep recon even under relatively intense fire.

With the new vehicle moral in CMBB I would assume that a unit such as a motorcylce would very likely stop and seek cover under even relatively light rifle fire from a split squad or even a skilled sharpshooter.

Originally posted by ASL Veteran:

Steve said that motorcycles were out. They tried to include them, but it was impossible to have the 'riders' 'abandon' the motorcycles and then remount them later within the limitations of the current engine.

Hmm, I would have thought they would have treated them something like assualt boats only faster. They can't move without someone in them but units can get in and out as they like. Perhaps for CMII.

They are definitely out, as are bicycles and horses. Similar reasons, although some unique aspects for each. The most simlar reason is...

Each of these "vehicles" transports between 1 and 3 men each. To transport a whole 10 man squad into combat you would need to have either 10 seperate bicycle/horse units or mix of sidecar and solo motorcycles (3 and 1 respectively off the top of my head). So when the forces dismount to fight, which is how they fought, things get REALLY messy. We can not have dozens of tiny units all over the map when they are in fact supposed to be but a handful. The game system simply can not deal with this kind of a situation, both from a code and gameplay standpoint (i.e. "Gamey" moves from Hell would be possible smile.gif ).

Because units were supposed to fight dismounted, removing the mounts is not entirely unrealistic. Yes, I am sure people would rather them be in, but there is no way that is going to happen.

I am sure a couple of you will think you have a really bright idea for a work around, but I promise you that is highly unlikely smile.gif This has been gone over several times, both internally and here on this forum, and the same ideas are trotted out each and every time. Those who disagree with this can do a Search and then post if they don't see their idea already covered.

However, motorcycles, horses, and bicycles are still totally out.

Steve

P.S. notice that assault boats can't be used by the AI. There are rather significant coding reasons for this. If we made motorcycle/bicycle/horse units behave just like assault boats... well... use your imagination to picture how fun a battle would be if it couldn't move its entire battalion sized force smile.gif