Tank firing smoke instead of AP

My 3 Cromwells IV (75mm)have hunt orders, suddenly on their right, in scaterred trees, a tank appears, identified as Tiger ?.

Instead of engaging him with their AP shells (they have plenty of them left), as i would have expected, all 3 fire smoke at him ??!

How to explain such a reaction ? I have good reason to suspect this Tiger? is a damaged PIV ; 2 turn before the same Cromwells engaged 3 PIV at 300m resulting with 2 PIV abandonned and 1 popping smoke...

Is it because they have short memory and they suspect it is a Tiger and they can't kill him ?

I'm puzzled...

Is it because they have short memory and they suspect it is a Tiger and they can't kill him ?

I'm puzzled...

You are correct. Until they get a positive ID on the Tiger? they will assume the worst and react accordingly. You should be thankful for that. Had the Tiger? really been a Tiger they would have been meat on the table. Instead, their reaction assures that you still have 3 functioning Cromwells in which to use.

Cromwells have very little to next to no chance to kill a Tiger from the front. Play the Wittmann & pals versus Brit 7th Armored Division scenario to see how effective (actually, ineffective :eek: ) Crommies are against Tigers. tongue.giftongue.gif

Your Crommies' AI commanders thought that they saw a Tiger and acted accordingly. They could not kill the Tiger, so they fired smoke to shield their eggshell hides from the perceived Tiger's 88. :(

In the future, if the Crommies identify the perceived Tiger as a PzIV, they will shoot AP.

Send that sniper forward to ID that Tiger? . :D;)

Cheers, Richard ;);)

There is also a very serious bug in CM that smoke is shot instead of AP, HE or HC even with perfect IDs and on manual targets orders.

Run http://www.cons.org/tmp/sherman105.cmb in hotseat, just given the Sherman 105mm manual target order on the Panther and you will see it shoots all its smoke rounds, and when smoke is done kill the Panther with its first HC round.

The bug is also there for towed guns and mortars.

Some people go as far as shooting the smoke rounds out of tanks that suffer from the problem often (like the 105mm Sherman) before going into combat. The popularity of the British 95mm CS tank gun is party because it doesn't have smoke rounds.

Originally posted by redwolf:

There is also a very serious bug in CM that smoke is shot instead of AP, HE or HC even with perfect IDs and on manual targets orders.

Is it true that this bug *does not* exist when you allow the AI to target for you? It only exists when you give manually targeting orders? On a side note, have you noticed any re-bracketing when you re-target the same target during the orders phase, even though you ultimately don't change targets?

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

[qb]There is also a very serious bug in CM that smoke is shot instead of AP, HE or HC even with perfect IDs and on manual targets orders.

Is it true that this bug *does not* exist when you allow the AI to target for you?

</font>