Tanks - 'Gun damaged'

Has anyone had situations when tanks guns have been repaired (and usable again) once the damage banner goes up? I don't think i have EVER had a gun repaired on either side. Panthers seem particularly susceptible (not sure whther this may be deliberate to take into account the shot-trap on some). What's more frustrating is that it's normally the tank(s) I am relying on to carve up the enemy from some well chose HD position!!!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by apex:

Unfortunately they don't even seem to be able to do it in operations.

apex<hr></blockquote>

I think it depends on how the op is designed. I've had tanks repaired overnight in particualrly long ops that simulate I guess a close proximity to a motor pool.

Thought as much, glad it's not just me it happens to. The only thing that threw me is that I THINK (and I haven't re-read it thoroughly to double check) that the manual makes some reference to 'if you are lucky the crew may be able to effect a field repair'.

Regarding gun hits, I can certainly confirm that not every gun hit necessarily damages the gun. I've achieved gun hits on numerous occasions from 20 mm Flak guns (even at sub 50 metre range) which had no effect. The latest one which shocked me a bit was a PIAT achieving a gun hit against a Pz IV with no effect. :eek:

Regards

Jim R.

I'm pretty sure I recall a gun damage to one of my Shermans in Team Desobry which happened right at the end of one of battles. it was back good as new at the start of the next battle--like magic. (I'm saying I'm pretty sure because it was a while ago and it may have been immoblized.) Keep in mind that there are different settings for repair-ability for each side in each operation. In general, the Axis has very slow repair times.

Also, gun damage is meant to indicate a pretty serious level of injury--a gun bent at a 45% angle or raked to shreds or blown off. Normally these kinds of damage can only be fixed by the installation of a new gun--so it's back to the shop and a lot of hard work with wrenches and winches before the tank is back in action.

Even a hit that dimples the gun would put it out of commission.

As stated above, there's no way to repair a 75mm to 90mm armor piercing cannon on the fly. They'd go back to get the gun replaced, is what they'd do.

I believe that your memory has possibly confused this issue with repair of jammed guns?

This thread is a little light on facts, isn't it?

Gun damage never gets away within a battle, but may between battles of an operation.

Gun damage does not neccessarily model serious damage to the actual gun but can be anything from damaged optics to a broken barrel. Note that the coax MG doesn't work either.

Vehicle MGs do not jam in CMBO.

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

Dear Kanonier,

I know the game allows for it by a toggle swithch. But realistically how would you know, as the shooter, what happens to a target tank's gun? Ok, if it didn't fire for several turns you might conclude there was damage, but you really would seldom if ever know.

Fog of War .... Toad

You would know by simple deduction after hitting the gun on the opposing AFV that it suddenly stops shooting its main gun in the middle of the turn. Seems realistic enough to me. And if you're going to now say, how do you know what was hit?... my response would be, the AFV or AT gun firing usually has pretty good optics to see where the blazes the fall of shell is.

Regards

Jim R.