Will buildings show damage instead of *'s in CMBB??

In CMBO, buildings that are damaged have a * or ** in the bottom corner denotating 50% and 75% damage. Will CMBB display different BMPs for each of these stages or not? I.e a 50% damaged bmp for each builfding type etc.

I hope so because towns in CMBO are far too clean. The buildings are either spotless or rubble!

My impression at this point is that there won't be any hooks to display different bitmaps for buildings that are in the process of being desroyed. As far as I can tell the building will remain the original bitmap until it becomes rubble (at which point it obviously becomes the rubble bitmap).

I could be wrong on this though and it may be a surprise, but I wouldn't count on it.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

I know where you're coming from on this but don't forget that modders can inflict as much graphical damage on the bmp's as they like.<hr></blockquote>

No they can't; holes in walls simply show through to the sky, or else the interior bmp of the building.

The damage also does not correspond to game play - ie all buildings look identical regardless of actual damage.

Heya Guys,

Yes, this is something we are considering and may well make it in. It is a feature that will take up a lot of VRAM though (basically each level of damage doubles the building VRAM usage), so we will probably have to limit it to 1 level of visual damage for CMBB. smile.gif

Dan

Just a thought, why not have "damaged" textures that go over a complete building. No sky showing, no "hole in the wall" where it was just last shot, just different BMPs to show phases of damage. That wouldn't tie up tthe processor with additional calculations or anything, just be a simple graphics swap. However, I know CM doesn't currently allow that and CM2 might not be any different in that light.

Just suggesting the idea.

Busboy, that is what we will be doing if all goes to plans. What will happen is that when damage on a building reaches a certain level the texture will be replaced with another.

Unfortunately though, this wont free up any addition VRAM, which is the main concern with regards to building damage textures. Actually, we did discuss the possability of allowing an interior to damage buildings but that multiples VRAM usage by 3 for each level of damaged building, something which we simply cant afford unfortuantely.

We will be looking into building damage in much more detail with the rewrite though guys.

Dan

I was wondering if you could use doodads to depict building damage. You could make a shell hole doodad that could be placed sufficiently adjacent to a building so that it appeared to be part of the building wall (sort of like a decail). The shell hole doodad could show interior details of the building like exposed studs, internal walls,etc. The same doodad could be used for different buildings thus saving on VRAM. The damage doodads could also be placed on the side of the building inwhich the shot was taken. Damage at different heights could be handled by having a 1st floor damage doodad and a second floor one that has different heights.

Warrior, that is a good idea but would require extra coding that we probably wont have time for, as unfortuantely it isnt quite as simple as it sounds. For instance we would need to make sure that the code didnt place wall studs where there were windows, doors, etc, and we would need to code each building type separately as the internals of a hut would look a lot different from those of factory.

Something we will be looking into further in the future though.

Dan

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lordfluffers:

In CMBO, buildings that are damaged have a * or ** in the bottom corner denotating 50% and 75% damage.<hr></blockquote>

Holy damaged buildings batman! I always wondered what those stars were for! And I have been playing CM since it's release!!! :eek: That's what I get for joining the forum so late in the game!! :rolleyes:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Busboy, that is what we will be doing if all goes to plans. What will happen is that when damage on a building reaches a certain level the texture will be replaced with another.

Dan<hr></blockquote>

That's what I meant!! Thanks Krazy, sometimes I wish I could kiss you! :eek: