Kv2 Turret...

Some patches ago, BTS coded the fact that tanks would swerve their tracks towards their target to speed the aiming process up.

I doubt the KV2 will be treated differently from what we know now, IE a slow turret.

My bet is that you'll see KV2s turn towards you as SU152 would for example...

Now, considering BTS has always been a coding Bag'O'Many Tricks, a surprise wouldn't surprise me.

:D

Its not that an uncommon problem in AFV's which don't have power driven turret traverse. Even the Panzer IV, Ausf J, actually suffered from it because they were mainly built with only manual traverse. The turret was simply too heavy to be moved manually but the war situation and the lack of copper mean that the Germans simply couldn't afford to manufacture the electric motors needed.

The KV II merely was worse.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PawBroon:

Some patches ago, BTS coded the fact that tanks would swerve their tracks towards their target to speed the aiming process up.

I doubt the KV2 will be treated differently from what we know now, IE a slow turret.

My bet is that you'll see KV2s turn towards you as SU152 would for example...<hr></blockquote>

IIRC that wouldn't work with the KVII. Gravity would swing the turret downhill

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brian:

Its not that an uncommon problem in AFV's which don't have power driven turret traverse. Even the Panzer IV, Ausf J, actually suffered from it because they were mainly built with only manual traverse. The turret was simply too heavy to be moved manually but the war situation and the lack of copper mean that the Germans simply couldn't afford to manufacture the electric motors needed.

The KV II merely was worse.<hr></blockquote>

I thought they deliberately removed the turret traverse motor and gear from the MkIV J to add an extra fuel tank. I wonder if my source is wrong, hm.

-dale

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: dalem ]</p>

I've heard of the Tiger II being hell to turn by hand on anything past a 3 degree slope (though the power traverse helped, of course). And the M10 TD kept getting new rear counterweight upgrades because the unbalanced turret caused similar problems if turned on a slope. But the KV-2 turret may well be in a class by itself. No hull-down reverse slope firing positions for this beast!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Priest:

The Panzer IV J had many design features deleted and the power traverse was one of them for the reasons stated above. The extra fuel was a beneficial after effect of the removal of the power traverse engine.<hr></blockquote>

Ahh, thank you!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brian:

[QB]Even the Panzer IV, Ausf J, actually suffered from it because they were mainly built with only manual traverse. The turret was simply too heavy to be moved manually but the war situation and the lack of copper mean that the Germans simply couldn't afford to manufacture the electric motors needed.[QB]<hr></blockquote>

What is your source on this Brian? Sounds logical but I haven't heard it being said with that much certainty before.

It was clearly a recognized problem though, the manual turret traverse mechanism that was installed in the J tanks incorporated a second gear intended to, at least partly, tackle the problem with rotating the turret while standing on uneven ground.

M.

In "Death Traps" Belton Cooper mentions they noticed the Panther seemed to suffer from traverse problems as well. For those who complain about Panther traverse being too slow, he also related a story about an M4A1 76 that turned a corner during the Bulge (I think it was then) and came face to face with a Panther. The Panther's turret was traversed straight out to the side. The gunner fired but instead of aiming at that nice thin turret side it went straight into the glacis plate and ricocheted. He got off 2 more shots before the Panther finally got the turret around and nailed the Sherman.