Learning Scenarios

Hello, I am curious which scenarios are good for learning how to play CM. I played the tutorial a few times until I could consistently win it, but I am curious about the other core scenarios, as well as user-designed scenarios... Should we just start with the smallest, shortest scenarios and work our way up?

I'd love to see a whole set of scenarios (or operations) specifically designed for "easing" players into the game.

If no one else has done it, maybe I will try to come up with some good "Hello World" type scenarios, starting with some 1-on-1 battles to minimize micromanagement...

Anyway, if there are already good "boot camp" scenarios out there, I'd love to hear about them!

Trav

It is actually a pretty difficult scenario to win, but I played the Villers-Bocage scenario lots at the outset. Benefits: very few units (one to start, actually) to have to keep track of, you get to blow stuff up real good with Wittman's Tiger, and small enough to restart and go at again when you get killed (and you will get killed).

I think I even played it with no Fog of War setting once, just to make it easier. I think that was the only time I ever made it through the whole scenario with Wittman's Tiger surviving.

Agua has just mentioned the Valley of Trouble demo, which for some reason is not on the CD but can be downloaded from this site. I played that a million times before the game arrived, and it's really excellent for learning both attack and defense. Actually, after playing this demo so much, I tried the tutorial when the game arrived and got something like a 97-3 score. I thought, "Hey, I know CM"--but was quickly disabused of THAT fallacy. Anyway, my point is that VoT is a much better teacher, and much more challenging, than the tutorial.

I'd also suggest "The Sunken Road" on the CD once you've played some of the smaller ones. "Canyon of Doom" is a good scenario for learning methodical attack. "The Wrong Hill," "Chambois," "A Bridgehead at Bennicourt" and "First Clash at Cambes" are good for armored conflict. A good first operation is "Ardennes--Team Desobry". I'd also recommend that you play a lot of these scenarios from BOTH SIDES. E.g. I once played Le Lorey about six times from alternate sides and you really get to test things out that way. Also, the Villers-Bocage is good to play both ways.

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips, guys!!! I will check out all those scenarios you mentioned, including Valley of Trouble.

I'll also check out the various scenarios mentioned in the recent "Small Scenarios" post, and will try to figure out how to search for stuff on the Scenario Depot site...

Thanks again! smile.gif

Travis