Mortars, AT guns . . . help?

So, I continue to area target smoke with mortars, only to find that they don't do it once they are targeted by a unit (I think this is why they stop). So I often get butchered by incoming tank rounds that would be blocked if the damn smoke worked. Same with tanks using smoke. Help?

Also, sometimes my AT guns won't fire at a building with a clear LOS, even if they aren't taking any fire. What am I doing wrong?

Is there a reason you are using the mortars out in the open, instead of having it within C&C and having the HQ unit spot while the mortars being out of LOS?

If I understand your problem (and I could be wrong, I deffer to the more experienced members of this board), there is no way you are going to have your mortars continue under fire. No unit would, it dosen't make a difference what kind of unit it is. If an enemy surpresses your unit, its going to drop all targets and worry about itself until it is safe to pop their heads out. And to compound your problem, smoke is area target, which no unit will do on its own. If you were trying to target an enemy, there might be a chance the tac ai would resume shelling an enemy unit. But once the target has been cancled, there will be no way to have it resume.

The only clear way around this, is to have your mortars completly out of LOS from anything, and have the HQ unit do the spotting. The HQ unit can still stay hidden while doing this, so there should be no risk to any unit, and you will still complete your objective.

Feel free to correct this if I am wrong.

nothing like a bit of experience to sharpen your claws.

I was doing it all wrong . . . Yes, the mortars must be out of LOS using HQ.

With the AT and Armor, I WAS in LOS of the buildings with the appropriate shells, but I was targeting too far into the building, not where the LOS was blue. Unfortunately for me, the target "stuck" with a red line, and then didn't fire.

Thanks for the help gents.

Originally posted by OG_Gleep:

...smoke is area target, which no unit will do on its own.

Actually, quite a few of us have observed mortars firing smoke on their own initiative. sometimes quite irritatingly. Not long back, I gave a mortar instructions to shell an enemy position. Before it started using its HE though, all on its own it decided to fire off all its smoke. Then it began firing HE, but only got off a couple of rounds before the smoke obscured the target, which broke LOS and it couldn't continue firing.

Michael

When I first started to play CMBO, I thought mortars were useless for a long time. In my PBEM games, I noticed that agianst better players, as soon as I would fire with a gun, I would turn away from it and then come back to it only to find it knocked out!

Using mortars is an art that allows you to dominate any gun or mg that is revealed to you if you play it just right. Use leaders to spot and set them up in high places that give you lots of LOS. Wait for a gun to show up and pound away! Even the american 60mm has great success of knocking them out, even with only one tree burst above any gun at times.

Whats great about CMBB is that we can now have a leader spot for mortars in halftracks ect. That will be even better and guns will have to be very carefull!

Hope this helped.

Chad Harrison

Yes, that was the first thing I learned from you dear Chad. After my first perfect ambush against you with my two (and only two) AT guns. Blew your sherm and an M8 (think it was an M8) right away. Only then my AT guns were butchered by these curious out of sight mortars, and then you promptly followed up with that Sherm is reserve, that now had nothing to stop it! As I said, nothing like a little experience to sharpen your claws!

Originally posted by Walpurgis Night:

Yes, that was the first thing I learned from you dear Chad. After my first perfect ambush against you with my two (and only two) AT guns. Blew your sherm and an M8 (think it was an M8) right away. Only then my AT guns were butchered by these curious out of sight mortars, and then you promptly followed up with that Sherm is reserve, that now had nothing to stop it! As I said, nothing like a little experience to sharpen your claws!

I am glad that I could *show* you that little trick firsthand smile.gif You also showed me once again that I need to learn more patience with my armour!

Chad

Originally posted by xerxes:

woa, Chad you slipped in the HQs can spot for mortar HTs in CMBB? Is this verified? That would make mortar HTs extremely effective.

It IS true. Imagine having an two HQ's, one each on a high vantage point on different ends of the map. You can have say 3 Mortar HT's firing from the 1st HQ's orders, then relocate using covered routes maybe 1 km over to your flank, then have another HQ spot for them over there. Sweet!

I gave a mortar instructions to shell an enemy position. Before it started using its HE though, all on its own it decided to fire off all its smoke.
LOL that is funny, the cpl at the controls must have downed one too many the night before. But I was talking about a unit desciding to fire smoke when it has no orders.

If thats what you were talking about I stand corrected!

[ August 21, 2002, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: OG_Gleep ]

Experiences about smoke without order:

- In one scenario I had a bren carrier shooting enemy infantry in hull-down position behind a stone wall. Enemy was 200-300 m away. In next turn my carrier pops smoke and backs out from hull-down position! Not only it did it unnecessarily (no infantry AT menacing it) it also blocked LOF of itself and my AT gun nearby!

- In another scenario I had Hetzer attacking infantry in woodline. Instead of blazing off with HE and MG from distance above 200 m (out of any infantry AT capability) it popped smoke in the woods! Now enemy could advance in cover of smoke and I couldn't do anything but wait where the heck he would pop out... And this was a crack unit :eek:

But that's life. And that's why CMBO is always so interesting, anything can - and will - happen! smile.gif

/kuma

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by OG_Gleep:

...smoke is area target, which no unit will do on its own.

Actually, quite a few of us have observed mortars firing smoke on their own initiative. sometimes quite irritatingly. Not long back, I gave a mortar instructions to shell an enemy position. Before it started using its HE though, all on its own it decided to fire off all its smoke. Then it began firing HE, but only got off a couple of rounds before the smoke obscured the target, which broke LOS and it couldn't continue firing.

Michael</font>

The smoke stuff is just a program bug, some selfdefense routine run amok.

Try setting up a 105mm Sherman with some HC and smoke rounda against a Panther with no ammo.

The 105mm SHerman will spend all its smoke rounds, and it will fire directly against the Panther, therebby not creating a smokescreen whihc blocks LOS tot he Panther.

Finished doing that, it will fire a HC round and instantly kill the Panther.

Or try this if you are too lazy to set it up yourself:

http://schlepper.hanse.de/tmp/sherman105.cmb

Open as Allies or hotseat and do a manual arget order to make the Sherman shoot on the Panther.

[ August 21, 2002, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

woa, Chad you slipped in the HQs can spot for mortar HTs in CMBB? Is this verified? That would make mortar HTs extremely effective.

as far as I know. I remember seeing one of *them* answer that awhile back, the reason I remember hearing it confirmed was because I got very excited about that one!

I might be wrong, Ill post and find out.

Chad

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by xerxes:

as far as I know. I remember seeing one of *them* answer that awhile back, the reason I remember hearing it confirmed was because I got very excited about that one!

I might be wrong, Ill post and find out.

Chad</font>

I predicted a while back that HQ spotting for mortar HTs would turn these vehicles, white elephants in CMBO, into some of the most popular weapons in CMBB. They will have high ammo loads, will be highly mobile (shifting from hidden HQ to hidden HQ, and should able to stay well protected behind cover. They will be the first indirect fire vehicles in the CM world and as such incredibly valuable.

Yeah, I think they're going to be murderous and no attack or defense should be without one.