PIAT vs Bazooka vs Panzerfaust/Panzerschreck

PIATs biggest drawback was faulty fuses, which required a square hit on the target in order to detonate. This fault was rectified after Sicily, but user confidence remained low for a period thereafter until it was demonstrated in action that the new fuses were better.

Perhaps this is what your memory is trying to recall, Markus? I haven't heard of "pre-detonation" of ammunition before - I assume you mean while still in the weapon? Perhaps your meaning is predetonation just prior to the target? Which might be the same thing as I've just described?

It doesnt exist a word like Puppchen...only Püppchen is the right answer.

Thats the same word you have to say to a young woman, if you like a smack with all five fingers in your face.. :D May today it isnt to risky..but i wont it to try out...

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

PIATs biggest drawback was faulty fuses, which required a square hit on the target in order to detonate. This fault was rectified after Sicily, but user confidence remained low for a period thereafter until it was demonstrated in action that the new fuses were better.

Perhaps this is what your memory is trying to recall, Markus? I haven't heard of "pre-detonation" of ammunition before - I assume you mean while still in the weapon? Perhaps your meaning is predetonation just prior to the target? Which might be the same thing as I've just described?

The PIAT's fuse was notoriously unreliable, resulting in a large number of blinds. This was acceptable in wartime but not in peacetime. That, plus the adoption of the 3.5in Bazooka, because of NATO standardisation meant that it was basically declared absolete soon after the war, by about 1948 IIRC.

According to my sources, the PIAT had a better penetration than the Bazooka, which is one factor which must be taken into consideration IMO. Neither of course matched the Panzerfaust (200mm @ 0 degrees) or the Panzerschreck's (206mm @ 0 degrees).

PIAT was poor due to it's inaccuracy and tendency of it's ammunition to predetonate with the user.

I'd like to know your source for this (apart from memory). I've not heard it before

I recently reread Cornelius Ryan's 'A Bridge Too Far', and although I refuse to hunt down a specific page # for you, I'm quite sure he mentions at least one instance of this occurring with the British 1st in Arnhem, much to the operating trooper's detriment I'm afraid...

ianc

Originally posted by K_Tiger:

Thats the same word you have to say to a young woman, if you like a smack with all five fingers in your face.. :D May today it isnt to risky..but i wont it to try out...

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Why not? I can't find the word without the umlot ( ??? It's been a while since I studied German and I can't remember how to spell what those dots are called) anywhere in my German/English dictionary. Is there a difference in meaning?

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

(please note it was called Puppchen not Püppchen)

Where does it say so?

The proper -chen form of Puppe (doll) is with an umlaut. But it is not impossible that the term isn't intended to be the -chen form of doll, hence my question.</font>

IOW, the Püppchen can be traced back to angloamerican authors who tried to be more german than the german sources themselves, and then the classic case takes over of subsequent authors who simply transcribe from the former authors without reflecting upon the term.

Not in my case, im a german and i know my language (not so the english.. ;) ).

If you can show me a german book without the "Umlaut", i will belive you. Puppchen sounds like a polish guy try to speak german...

K_Tigerchen

Not in my case, im a german and i know my language (not so the english.. ;) ).

If you can show me a german book without the "Umlaut", i will belive you. Puppchen sounds like a polish guy try to speak german...

K_Tigerchen[/QB]

Apparently not.

Check any of the respective DVs and ... hell, any first-source german language material on the subject incl. historical documents will spell it Puppchen. Therefore may I ask in return just where the hell you got your Püppchen idea from?

btw sorry on the K_Tiger analogy. I thought it was meant to mean King Tiger.

It doesnt exist a word like Puppchen...

There was a very popular early series of Opel and Wanderer cars (sort of forerunners to the Käfer) which all had the name Puppchen, and there are many old novels, lyrics etc. which use the name Puppchen (C. Zacherts "Puppchen, aus dir wird noch was"-novel, Jean Gilberts popular Operette "Puppchen" of 1913).

even the more serious angloamericans start to reverse their former error and are using the correct term Puppchen nowadays (scale model companies (Tamyia, Dragon) etc. who do their own field research for their models and dcumentation).

your claim that a word like Puppchen does not exist is simply preposterous. Granted, it is very uncvommon nowadays, but seems to have been rather common in everyday language to our grandparents and great-grandparents' generation and before.

Cpt.W.,

the difference of two small dots is as important as whether the Sherman was actually called Shurmin or Sherman. Apparently such research is not of interest for people like you, but for me the sudden revelation that everyone had it wrong all along and that the Sherman was actually called Shurmin would be very interesting. Now go and play with your dog.

[ March 18, 2002, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]

Just to put this one to rest..

"Die deutsche Panzerjägertruppe 1935-1945" by Wolfgang Fleischer and Richard Eiermann.

The German issue of Gander and Chamberlains "Enzyklopädie Deutscher Waffen".

Are two examples...

--

Now please stop being so definitive in all your statements. And if you are, you provide a source other than yourself.

--

M.

Sorry mate.

From Wortschatz Deutsch

Wort: Puppchen

Anzahl: 1

Häufigkeitsklasse: 22 (d.h. der ist ca. 2^22 mal häufiger als das gesuchte Wort)

Beschreibung: Operette von Gilbert

Morphologie: pupp|chen

Grammatikangaben: Wortart: Substantiv

Flexion: das Puppchen, des Puppchens, dem Puppchen, das Puppchen

die Puppchen, der Puppchen, den Puppchen, die Puppchen

Links zu anderen Wörtern:

* Grundform: Puppchen

* Form(en): Puppchen

Beispiel(e):

Blond, blauäugig, mit Pferdeschwanz, ein Puppchen entworfen von dem Zeichner Reinhard Beuthin. (Quelle: Welt 1999)

Okay, I am a bit worried that Die Welt is an example (maybe a typo, seeing what a quality newspaper that is), but still.

Ok i give up...my grandparents died last year, so i couldn ask them how common the word "puppchen" was...

Mattias:

I have something from Fleischer, but this one arent on my shelf..

Now please stop being so definitive in all your statements. And if you are, you provide a source other than yourself
Sorry for this, i know, im not the god of all WWII infos..but i couldn writh better due to my bad english...

Im over 20 jears interessted in the history of wwII, mostly i got the infos from books and alot first hand storys..but they arent all rigth and im happy if i found here the answer.

Sorry for this, i know, im not the god of all WWII infos..but i couldn writh better due to my bad english...

Absolutely not a problem KT.

Most posters have a solid interest in the subject matter and like to discussing just about any relevant, and a fair number of irrelevant, subjects related to CM, WWII and warfare in general.

What is a minor inconvenience for the forum is the steady stream of posters fresh out of Discovery channel claiming to know it all smile.gif

--

By the way, I can recommend the book by Fleischer I mentioned before. I also have his books "Die deutschen Sturmgeschütze" and "Die Motorisierten Schützen und Panzergrenadiere", both of which are well worth having.

--

M.

btw I can't help but notice that one of the persons who claims to have the last word on Puppchen himself uses a nickname which is based on yet another wrong english term for a german weapon. There is no english word "King Tiger", the correct english equivalent for the german zoological name "Königstiger" is Bengal Tiger, but that is another, even older issue.

Ok, Ok, I'm sorry. I did say my German schooling was in the past, and my post was a question, backed up by my source. At no point did I claim to know anything. No need to be nasty.

Was I incorrect with my translation of "Panzertod"? If not, were the other AT weapons ('shrek, 'faust) named in a similar way? Literal translations gives these as "tank terror" and "tank fist" respectively.

Don't call me an American. I'll come across the Channel and burn your house down ;)

In game i seem to have much more luck with the pshreck than with the bazooka or the faust.

I just wish there were a way to ambush 'armor only'... i cant tell you how many times my bazooka team, lying concealed in the perfect firing position..has fired on a recon squad probing the defense. :eek:

Never fails to cause me to spend the next five minutes wiping the spit of my monitor after cussing the squad in question. :D

btw I can't help but notice that one of the persons who claims to have the last word on Puppchen himself uses a nickname which is based on yet another wrong english term for a german weapon. There is no english word "King Tiger", the correct english equivalent for the german zoological name "Königstiger" is Bengal Tiger, but that is another, even older issue
Who did say my nick is King Tiger??

Who did say my nick is King Tiger??

K_Tiger, you're once again an Euro short plus a day late. see my post above "btw sorry on the K_Tiger analogy. I thought it was meant to mean King Tiger."

[edited cause the euro sign didn't display properly]

[ March 19, 2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]