Scenario Archive

Hello fellow CM'ers!!!

I have downloaded a lot of scenarios and i really like the CM database. I feel however that we need one archive site to store ALL of them That way all of the CM players now and in the future will have a place to upload and download scenarios. I will be glad to do a site like this, but i will need some help. I have a lot of scenarios now, but to be honest with you i am not sure who wrote them all. So i am asking you to email me all of the scenarios. That way i will archive the scenarios i am sent and i will not have people yelling at me because i did not ask there permission to post them. Please give me you feedback and ideas!

I will need some help with graphic work. Some banners and buttons and so forth if interesed please drop me a line. at

rhodes89@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Mike

Spike,

Great idea, but Admiral Keth has already compiled an archive. Check in this forum "Scenario Talk" for his post (within the last two weeks, I believe), and you will find where he has posted a link to the file for download. I believe has has obtained every scenario/operation on the last edition of the CM Database, except for 28 cmb/cmc.

Spike,

I have already started on a similar project. The CM Scenario Mega Pack can be found at:

http://www.dragonlair.net/CMScenarioMegaPack.zip

This 12mb zip contains 622 scenarios and operations, including many of the lost MG/PP/PT/ASL scenarios. I am in the process of costructing a site which will provide a critcal review of these scenarios, as well as periodic updates to the Scenario Mega Pack.

I would be happy to help in your project if you are missing any of the scenarios.

Okay guys... did not know that the mega pack was out there... But i was thinking of listing the individual senarios on the site for download. If i can help you Admiral w/ your project... Please let me know!

Spike

Spike,

I sincerely appreciate your offer. There is a short list of scenarios that I am missing, and they are indicated in the Scenario database. I can provide you with a consolidated list if you like.

Work has already begun on the Scenario Review site and I'm planning on unveiling it within a week or two.

Manx_CM

I'm not sure what you mean, but it's not my intention to put any CM-related site out of business. A large portion of the scenarios that can be found in the Scenario Mega Pack are remarkably hard to find, such as the ASL-related scenarios. Many new CM players are unable to locate some of these lost treasures, and I simply want to provide a method by which new players can obtain them. If any scenario designer does not want their scenarios included in the Scenario Mega Pack, just say so.

Woa Manx! I dont think there is any harm here! I think this would be great to be able to go to a central site containg every scenario or possibly every CM scenario ever made. I dont think thi will hurt yours or anybody elese site Manx! Your site is excellent for many many things! Mods scenarios, Operations, guidelines, Armor info, much much more!

COMBAT MISSIONS started it's life ONLY hosting scenarios (hence the name). Only later did it go on to cover other areas. All i'm saying is this - there is little point in a site bothering to host scenarios if someone is going to d/l them from that site and then stick them in some "uberpack" hosted somewhere else. As you may of noticed, i, and many other webmasters, don't just add a link to the scenario d/l, we go and write full individual pages with details, screenshots and descriptions. Is it going to be worth continuing to do this?.

Don't forget - many of the scenarios have sent in by authors who expressed the wish that the scenario should only be made available from that site. Just last night "Rune" sent in his latest scenario Pak #7. In his e-mail he said that he would NOT be posting this set of scenarios anywhere else.

I would be interested in hearing what other CM webmasters feel about this and also scenario designers themselves.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "we go and write full individual pages with details, screenshots and descriptions. Is it going to be worth continuing to do this?."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats up to you, but it seems that somebody has a larger picture in mind concerning a site for scenarios and operations. Your site has plenty of information on scenarios and operations and downloads, but certainly not all of them.

[ 04-16-2001: Message edited by: Panther131 ]

I tend to agree with Manx on this one. If you want to list all the scenarios with links to other web sites where they are hosted then that is one thing but to download scenarios from other websites and put them in your megapack is something else. If you get concurrance from the author to host the scenario on your site then that is uber-fine and more power to you.

PantherGunner: Agreed but what about the covenience to the end user? Its is alot easier to download one megapack full of operations and scenarios then to look and wade through downloading individualy. I have done it and its a PITA.

Hmmm...not sure what to think on this.

[ 04-16-2001: Message edited by: Panther131 ]

I can't speak for Mensch and the others over at Der Kessel, but I have to agree with Manx and PantherGunner on this one. A site with reviews and links to scenarios seems like a good idea, but hosting scenarios without the authors' permission sounds like a bad idea. I actually was not real happy to see scenarios of mine in the MegaPack

[ 04-16-2001: Message edited by: Berlichtingen ]

It's because sometimes you create scenarios along a theme or as a part of a set of scenarios and you provide background on the web page.. You may not want to see your scenario stripped of its context, where it might not seem as good as it otherwise might.

By at least asking everyone you give them a chance to include a text file with any thoughts or items they want to note about the scenario that isn't included in briefings.

When you look at the Der Kessel scenarios they often include extra notes on the web page that the briefing doesn't include (because it wouldn't make sense to put them there, for example).

I like the idea of a big scenario database but i think it would be best if each author was asked first, and given the opportunity to include a text file with any extra notes or thoughts smile.gif

PeterNZ

Admiral Keth...I don't disagree with you in what your saying - of course it would be easier if all scenarios could be found from one source, but, you have to remember that the current 30+ CM sites have already been trying to do their best to get the scenarios that are released, out to you in the best manner that they can.

I am currently trying keep track of every mod that is released, and i know how hard that can be, so, why not set up a site or something, that tries to do the same thing for scenarios?. I would be more than willing to help you out with it.

[ 04-16-2001: Message edited by: Manx_CM ]

Manx_CM,

I have thought long and hard about what to do about this. Indeed, tracking either mods or scenarios is a painstaking and time-consuming task, one which the person undertaking the task does more out of enjoyment and appreciation for the game itself than any personal gain.

I have discontinued distribution of the CM Scenario MegaPack, and I am going to concentrate on simply creating the 90th Infantry series scenarios.

Given enough encouragement, I may create a site which lists the scenarios, their parameters, where they can be found (elsewhere on the net), as well as who created them. That in and of itself will be a Herculean task. Perhaps even rate them after playing each one several times. I would like to kjow if ANYBODY has any objections to that idea.

Manx_CM, as well as other scenario

designers, please accept my sincerest apologies for any offense I may have caused.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panther131:

Berlichtingen : Not trying to be contentious but why?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PeterNZer gave a better answer than I probably would have smile.gif I don't have a problem with a site that has all the scenarios. I some cases, I'd rather have links to the scenarios page on another site (where there is extra material about the scenario posted -- such as Der Kessel). Author's permission is a big consideration.

Well i certainly did not mean to turn the COMBAT-MISSION world upside down. I only intended to help and provide a service to everyone. I did not mean to take glory away from individual websites... In fact if i write the pages, i would offer them to all the sites... That way no matter what site a person went to the scenarios (or link) would be there. I certainly did not mean to turn this into a Jihad. I think Admiral Keth and i were on the same wave length.. We just wanted a web page with ALL the scenarios and ops on it.. A one stop shopping spree so to speak . Wouldn't that be nice? I also like the Links idea... Problem is... what do we do when that link breaks or the web site where the scenario is being held goes away? I wanted to do something nice, a service to the CM universe, but you know what... there is to much red tape forming here.... I guess i will hang onto the scenarios and ops i have and just keep downloading them from here and there as i see them... Maybe some day we can figure this out and put pride aside and work for the common good.

I think the dedicated sites that are out there right now are terrific. Keep up the good work and keep the scenarios current!!!

Spike Out

I will add my voice to having one go to place where one could get a ton of scenarios. I was disappointed that Admiral Keith had taken

down his mega pack. It sure would have been easier that searching through a ton of web sites and downloading scenarios one at a time. I can live with the searching though.

One thing that would be nice for CM2 would be for the scenario access through CM2 to allow for folders which would make organization of scenarios much easier. Right now I have to page through 11 pages of battles and I only have about 240 scenarios with the installed and my saved games and the shipped scenarios. Plus I only have the one liner to describe the scenario. It would be great to organize the hundreds of scenarios into folders and be able to access them easily. That way if I am looking for one of Rune's cool scenarios I can have all of his in the "Rune Folder". Any thoughts?

Bobo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>PeterNZer gave a better answer than I probably would have I don't have a problem with a site that has all the scenarios. I some cases, I'd rather have links to the scenarios page on another site (where there is extra material about the scenario posted -- such as Der Kessel). Author's permission is a big consideration. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I totaly understand and agree why scenario creators would want there work to be distributed correctly. Site's like Der Kessel and Combat-Missions are great for that. Well thanks for the replies guys smile.gif

Spike,

I think I came across stronger than I intended. let me try to explain where I'm coming from.

Currently, I am working on two large projects... a series of scenarios set in and around Toulon and a series of scenarios following the actions of Kampfgruppe Wingen. When they are done, I intend on posting them along with a historical overview so the players can see what the big picture is that these scenarios are set in. The two series will 'tell a story', which is lost if just tossed together with every other scenario out there. That is what I would rather avoid. i have several scenarios that are just individual actions that have no tie in with anything else... those I would have no problem with having them made available in a 'MegaPack'.

Another situation (probably the one that made me come across hard) is the scenarios from the old ASL2CM site. Hasbro said no... therefore, it has to be up to the authors of those scenarios as to whether they be made available or not. I chose to abide by Hasbro's order, and have deleted the scenarios I had done. As far as i am concerned, those scenarios are no longer available. Other authors of ASL conversions will be willing to have them made available. All I am saying, is it must be with the consent of the author.