Blank parts in CMAK maps

Sometimes when i load a game the map displays blank parts (instead of the normal bmps). It can be brushes tiles, for example, or vehicules, or smoke.

It happens randomly, when i reload usually it disappears, the normal graphics are back.

I've a Nvidia 4600 with 30.82 drivers on my XP system.

Never had this problem with CMBB.

I have anti-aliasing running.

What is strange is that it is very random and is solved if i re-load the same file...

Any idea ?

Have any of you modified/replaced the default BMPs that come with CMAK ? I've seen this behavior in the past with a Voodoo 3 under Win9x in CMBB, but not under Win2K/XP with this same videocard. What was happening in that case was that the driver was unable to maintain so many large textures in memory (at least that is what I assume it was unable to do), which resulted in 'white squares' because one elevation bitmap wasn't being stored.

Does this happen with any game of any size ? Do the maps have a large number of elevation differences present ? Is there a large variety of different terrain elements present ?

I'm running the 30.87 drivers under Win2K with a GeForce 3 64Mb. I haven't run into any problems with disappearing bitmaps with this system running any of the CM series (though it does have a large amount of system memory too).

Another thing to check is to make sure that nothing is running in the background, especially any large applications that may be taking up memory. Another thing to adjust would be increasing your AGP Aperture size (which may or may not be present in the CMOS/BIOS setup). Usually this won't make any difference for a system that is working with CM already.

Antialiasing can also make a bit of a difference since that requires additional video memory to perform. I'm not sure what Anistropic Filtering's requirements are video memory-wise, but that may be something else to temporarily disable.

[ December 30, 2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

Sometimes when i load a game the map displays blank parts (instead of the normal bmps). It can be brushes tiles, for example, or vehicules, or smoke.

It happens randomly, when i reload usually it disappears, the normal graphics are back.

I've a Nvidia 4600 with 30.82 drivers on my XP system.

Never had this problem with CMBB.

I have anti-aliasing running.

What is strange is that it is very random and is solved if i re-load the same file...

Any idea ?

It happens to me too. Mostly smoke or while I am in the editor. I have to leave and come back and then it is fine.

I did not have this problem with either CMBO or CMBB. I haven't changed or added a thing.

Panther Commander

If you're using the 30.82/30.87 drivers check this setting:

Go to Control Panels > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced... button > GeForce (whatever model) tab > Additional Properties... button > Direct3D Settings tab > on the item 'PCI Texture Memory Size' set it to the maximum that your system/videocard supports. Currently I have 127Mb as the setting here. I'm not sure what sort of difference it will make, but hopefully it may allow for storing more textures in 'system memory' for the AGP bus to grab. That's a big guess, but I'm not sure why users of various GeForce models are seeing this problem in CMAK with the 30.8x drivers.

I've run into the same problem; ti4200, 30.82. No changes from CMBB, never saw the problem before.

What I did notice was that when it happened it seemed as if the game loaded too quickly, i.e. it looked as if it did not try to load all the BMP files. Perhaps this is a clue as to what might be happening?

I have to exit the game and re-start (sometimes more than once) to "solve" this issue. Luckily it has not happened very often. I saw it in "A Few Boys From Texas", for what it is worth.