Does any ATI card give full effects with CM?

RCR

• 2 weeks later...

I have the ATI Radeon 9600 card with 256MB on my main computer. CMAK works. However, since I have not seen CMAK work with another video card, I can not answer the question about missing fog and smoke.

On my kids computer, a Sony Viao - The video will not work (SIS 651 chipset) due to the integrated video, so I anticipate buying a new video card. Then I will be able to compare performance.

I doubt it outperforms a GeForce 4 for CM, but that's hard to establish since CM has neither a framerate display nor a standard benchmark.

But yes, among the cards that you can buy below $100 right now (GeForce FX 5xx0) ATI will deliver a faster card.

Question is whether the driver trouble is worth it. It's not that the ATI is fast enough for any high-end games either, and for casual gaming you usually want as few trouble as possible.

I started playing Combat Mission on a machine that had an ATI video card, I think at the time it was a 7500. Quite a while ago in any case. Once I found out that ATI cards could not handle the fog in CM, I quickly switched to a GeForce Ti4600. I have never regretted the switch. The ATI card worked just fine with all of the other attributes of CM and other games but it did not show the fog. For me, a self professed CMaholic, that was enough reason to go get an Nvidia card.

If I were in the market for a card today, I would still buy an Nvidia card, probably one of the higher end FX cards if I couldn't get my hands on another Ti4600.

Good luck with whatever card you choose.

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Pzman:

ATI cards on PC's will not show fog in CM, other than that they are fine IIRC.

That was ca. 4 months ago.

I'm looking at a PC that's good value for money and comes up for sale on March 30, but it has a Radeon X740 XL card. That card is most likely not standard. The offer is a Medion PC that's sold in ALDI in several European countries, and they probably have the muscles to get ATI to produce a card tailored to their needs. Still, I'd like any info I can get on this or similar cards regarding CM performance.

In case someone understands this stuf, here are the details of the card: http://www.beyond3d.com/misc/chipcomp/?view=boarddetails&id=253

[ March 23, 2005, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Robert Olesen ]

Again:

the ATI cards, as in the hardware, do fog just fine, and they even do fog tables, which is the fog used by CM. Unfortunately they do fog tables only in OpenGL and in Rave, but not in Direct3D, which is used by CM on Windoze.

So stop asking about new cards. ATI has chosen to disable that feature in their Direct3D drivers, which is used by all cards, it has nothing at all to do with the cards themself. No card choice is going to change anything about the drivers.

Ain't gonna happen.

It is a reasonable guess that they have deliberate disabled this feature in their Direct3D drivers because their cards are slower than NVidia's when fog tables fog is on.

They cannot do that in their OpenGL drivers because the OpenGL consortium would pull the compliance rating, but Microsoft doesn't appear to care whether you implement some old Direct3d feature or not.

Bad benchmark results cost more customers than CM brings. And this is not the only problem with ATI drivers. Ever tried Armored Task Force? After sufficient research nobody in their right mind buys ATI for PCs.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

After sufficient research nobody in their right mind buys ATI for PCs.

I found the ATi 9550 VIVO to be better in 2D desktop display than my GeForce 5200 FX, just as well supported under Linux, with a higher frame rate in the odd game I'm playing, and sporting video-in for an unbeatable price. I thing the existing issues didn't weight up the advantages.

Meaning to say, I'm not "out of my right mind" just because I no longer have fog in my CM games. ;)

OK, so do they have drivers that work with Fedora Core kernels with the 4GB/4Gb memory map, or any 2.6 kernel for that matter, by now?

What about AMD64 drivers? TV out?

What about the speed difference between their Windows and Linux drivers, did they do anything about that?

And when did they fix DirectDraw (for ATF)? I am really interested to learn about their efforts in that regard.

I recently switched from a Geforce card to a x850xt PE. All in all I'm very impressed. Even on the biggest CM maps FPS is still 100+ at 1600x1200 with anisotropic filtering at x16.

CMAK/BB both run flawlessly for me apart from anti-aliasing. I'm using the latest 5.3 drivers, although I've tried all cat drivers dating back to 4.12, no joy. AA causes all text to go white, most annoying.

Does everyone with an ATI card have this problem, if not does anybody know of a fix by chance?

(Smoke effects are fine btw)

[ March 29, 2005, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Londoner ]

Taken from the Support section of the BFC website, under CMAK and ATI Video Issues:

Problem: Text in-game is unreadable (yellow on white) on a Radeon card when Anti-Aliasing is turned on.

Cause/Solution #1: This seems to be a persistent bug with the ATI drivers and anti-aliasing and we usually advise to not use AA while playing however a workaround has been provided by a member of our forum which you may wish to try out.

Download this file http://www.battlefront.com/misc/Radeon_text_fix.zip and follow the directions in the readme.txt to replace 3 small files in your CMAK\BMP folder which may resolve this problem.

Cause/Solution #2: Disable Anti-Aliasing in your drivers control panel. To do that, set the AA level to x0 or select Application Preference which does the same thing.

[ March 29, 2005, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]