Wrong soviet uniforms in the Kursk scenario?

I apologize in advance if this issue was already adressed here in the new forum, but it's not so easy to catch up with the enormous amount of messages produced by the CM community :D

The soviets in the Kursk scenario have the old uniforms only to save space in the demo file... right? You're not going to tell me that I'll have to take Berlin without closed collars and shoulder straps... ;)

Regards,

Amedeo

P.S. I thought the demo would have kept me busy for a month... but I want this awesome game now!

Yes, Amedeo, you're actually right! I didn't notice that before either. By Oct 1942 the newer rank insignias were official. Here's one more player hoping this was nothing more than a space saving measure for the purposes of the demo.

Greg,

to say the truth I'm almost sure it's a 'space saving' measure. Nonetheless I would have liked to know that indeed there will be THREE sets of uniforms for the soviets: the first is what we saw in the demo, the second, for late '41 and 1942, is with subdued collar tabs and no chevrons for the officers, then the last is the one with the M1943 uniform. Just kidding! :D

Regards,

Amedeo

Originally posted by Commissar:

If not, you can bet what a future mod will certainly address this. Should give people like Andrew even less time for a life :D

Some great Soviet uniforms have already been done for the Frontovik module and are up on the internet already. They are really quite good; I'm not sure if the bmps are the same size as the CMBB ones or not.

was that battle the whole of 1943, did i ever say that? nope i was saying that BFC just gave us that fictional scenario to play around with the game it was one made up battle for the demo. not a "Historical Battle" nore was this scenario the "whole year of 1943" either.

Originally posted by zee:

was that battle the whole of 1943, did i ever say that? nope i was saying that BFC just gave us that fictional scenario to play around with the game it was one made up battle for the demo. not a "Historical Battle" nore was this scenario the "whole year of 1943" either.

The historicity of the scenario is not at issue; the use of incorrect uniforms - a matter of paramount importance, let me assure you - is what is at hand. The shoulder boards and stand up collars of the new Russian uniforms were introduced in late 1942 and had a profound - profound, mind you - influence on morale and tactical ability. Milk soured more slowly with the new uniforms, and the soldiers smelled sweeter. Not to represent this graphically is a large mistake - as you obviously must know by now, having read this far. Why, if it wasn't for people researching and writing books on uniforms, I daresay the entire Second World War would simply be some strange occurence that happened long ago, like the ancient battles of Megiddo or Armageddon. I think instead of offering backhanded advice, you need to drop to your knees and pay homage to the sacrifices of that noble band of Uniform Grogs who have added so much to the world data bank of WW II Knowledge, and without whose work, A and E would be reduced to showing Bowling for Dollars instead of being The World War Two Channel.

Originally posted by Commissar:

If not, you can bet what a future mod will certainly address this. Should give people like Andrew even less time for a life :D

Are you saying there is life outside of CM?

Is it true?

IT wasent a historical Scenario! so who cares if the Uniforms or tanks or whatever was correct or not! thats my point and you obviously missing it.

This is the DEMO not the real game and BFC probably just through in some units in the unhistorical scenarion to have US the players get a FEEL for the game.

DO YOU understand my point yet?

Battlefront needed to set priorities in order to get this game out before Xmas. After all, you could go on FOREVER fidgeting with the details. It's just a guess, but I suspect the color of unit insignia in 1943 may be just above trucks on Matt's priorities list... and Matt HATES trucks!

Originally posted by zee:

IT wasent a historical Scenario! so who cares if the Uniforms or tanks or whatever was correct or not! thats my point and you obviously missing it.

This is the DEMO not the real game and BFC probably just through in some units in the unhistorical scenarion to have US the players get a FEEL for the game.

DO YOU understand my point yet?

heehee

My point was to yank your little chain. You haven't gone to Italics yet so maybe I'll keep pulling...

Honestly, why have uniforms at all? We could just use little Intellivision men in red and blue. If we agree that uniforms are a nice touch, historical uniforms are even nicer. And if you want to get technical, "historical" scenarios aren't even possible. As it stands, the Kursk one was clearly set in 1943 - it says so in the briefing. As a webmaster who caters to mods and those who do them, it seems odd that you would publicly trumpet how insignificant "correct uniforms" are. I would remind you that your future clientelle will include those types slavishly devoted to the arcane...kind of the whole point of mods, really....

Zee, it IS important. Does it effect gameplay? No. Does it effect our ability to see the value of the game in the demo? No. You are correct there, absolutely.

But the question is, will the full game have multiple, historic uniforms. These folks aren't bitching, nor demanding, just wondering if something that they see in the demo is a space saving measure that isn't an indication of the game. Valid question.

And hopefully the answer is that the correct uniforms will be used. If they are not, yes Mods can be used, but then if you want everything just right for your battle you have to switch mods out beforehand, ect.

So why does it matter? There are those of us that, as odd as it may sound, would have liked to have been there, maybe to observe, and some to have fought. Because we don't have firsthand experience of these battles, we do everything we can to tell what it WAS like. To find out how it was like, you can't just memorize diaries and troop concentrations, you have to study EVERYTHING to totally understand battle and war. Uniforms are a part of that.

To most of us, games like CM are as close to war as we'll ever come, and we'd like to get it as close as we possibly can.

This is why there are so many dedicated Mod makers and Mod "sluts," they want the game to be as accurate and realistic looking (and sounding) as possible.

To us, the more realistic (on every level), the more fun the game is.