Panther clip.

Wow! That's a really cool clip. What with that little tank trying to climb that little rise next to its bigger 'cousin.' The futility. smile.gif

What's that other one? Looks familiar, but I can't put a name to it.

Big Dog has it right. REALLY cool.

Anyone have an idea of the circumstances under which these shots were taken? A US proving ground somewhere, with captured Panther & Tiger? When?

That poor Grant really does look pathetic next to that Panther.

[ April 22, 2002, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

That looks like a German testing ground. The Lee looks to be a captured tank painted in German colors.

Hey, you're right! That's definitely an Iron Cross painted on the front of the M3 (Is there any way to tell if it's a Grant or Lee?)

Working it out a bit further: the landscape definitely looks like Europe and AFAIK the western Allies only used the Grant/Lee in North Africa (not Italy? Right?) And it doesn't seem likely they'd ship a captured North African M3 all the way to Germany for testing.

So maybe this is a captured Russian Lend Lease M3 being put through it's paces? Quite a journey for that tank. I don't imagine the German high command was terribly frightened by what they saw....

It is a Grant. The Lee has a larger turret which allowed radio gear to be placed there. The British used the Lee primarily (the larger turret was to their specification), and many Grants went to the USSR. I think the idea put forth above about the Grant being a captured USSR Lend Lease vehicle has a lot of merit.

Nice find. You can imagine the infantry on top of that slope plugging the Panther through its bottom plates pretty easily. Though if they missed you wouldn't want to be around for the fireworks...