Pre-Game Parameters: Why Leave Out All The Important Ones?

Why, in the name of God, were the most important parameters left out of the pre-game notes to the opposition? Ones like Fitness and Casualties!

Isn't this screen there to prevent cheating? And isn't the way to cheat to adjust things like your opposition's fitness and casuality levels and then tell him you have the same thing? As of present, there is no way to tell if these parameters have changed.

I really don't understand why the most important parameters were left out. Why not include them all?!?!?!?!?

Can we please get Charles to add this to the 1.02 patch? I'd really like every parameter on that screen before I start a game. It only makes sense, doesn't it?

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Why, in the name of God, were the most important parameters left out of the pre-game notes to the opposition? Ones like Fitness and Casualties!

Isn't this screen there to prevent cheating? And isn't the way to cheat to adjust things like your opposition's fitness and casuality levels and then tell him you have the same thing? As of present, there is no way to tell if these parameters have changed.

I really don't understand why the most important parameters were left out. Why not include them all?!?!?!?!?

Can we please get Charles to add this to the 1.02 patch? I'd really like every parameter on that screen before I start a game. It only makes sense, doesn't it?

An excellent post! His questions deserve answers.

My opinion is that the space issue on a single CD-ROM thingee is rearing it's ugly head again.

They possibly should be in there. I did a test last night, they are noted if set to random but otherwise not noted.

I would point out that it is pretty easy to notice if your fitness has been set different than agreed upon. And casualties wildly different from what is agreed upon are pretty easy to notice as well.

One should also remember that attrition does not decrease the amount of force a player has, but instead gives them more variety by adding purchase points then doing the damage. A 1500 point force with 0% or 50% casualties has 1500 pionts of CM effectiveness. In the case of fitness, weakend troops also carry a discount. And, if you are defending, weakened or even unfit troops carry little penalty.

Still, I think the line item should be in there for consistency's sake.

WWB

Originally posted by wwb_99:

I would point out that it is pretty easy to notice if your fitness has been set different than agreed upon. And casualties wildly different from what is agreed upon are pretty easy to notice as well.

WWB

Why continue to play with someone who tries such an obvious cheat? Rather than changing code in the game, it seems much simpler to end any game where your opponent pulls a stunt like this. Then don't play that person any more. It's not like there is a shortage of honest players.

I agree on not playing cheats. OTOH, there are so many parameters for QBs that it is very easy to make a mistake. So ask your opponent before labeling them an obvious cheat.

Anyhow, one of the great satisfactions in dealing with cheats is beating them fair and square using their stacked deck.

WWB

PS: Note that the ugliest cheat possible is not there. We did make sure that one could not import a map with units unbeknownst to the opponent, ensuring no nasty things like free elite KTs.

I'm also missing informations about weather and ground conditions. I guess this infos are important to know before the purchase. I already posted about it some time ago. Madmatt once said he would check this, but at least it has not made it into the 1.01

In all fairness to BFC, changes in casualties to one side or the other doesn't effect the overall # of points that the player has to fight the battle with. It only makes them have more squads/etc. at reduced effectiveness, but with overall points remaining equivalent on both sides (excluding any Handicap).

Originally posted by wwb_99:

They actually took that out Scipio. Reason was, in case of random, the 2nd player got that information while the first player was purchasing blind.

WWB

Oh, I see. Well wouldn't it make in this case sense to make the briefing screne available to player one, too, before he makes his purchase? SASWDNTHT (Speaking As Someone Who Doesn't Need To Hardcode That), this doesn't sounds too difficult.

Okay, it's true that casualties isn't really so much a penalty as it is a variable. But the fitness thing DOES matter. You don't get extra points when you begin a QB with a penalty in fitness.

Why even argue the point at all of what needs to be there? Put everything there so there is no wondering about the integrity of your opponent. We're talking about some very minor coding here...

[ December 06, 2002, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Colonel_Deadmarsh ]

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Okay, it's true that casualties isn't really so much a penalty as it is a variable. But the fitness thing DOES matter. You don't get extra points when you begin a QB with a penalty in fitness.

Why even argue the point at all of what needs to be there? Put everything there so there is no wondering about the integrity of your opponent. We're talking about some very minor coding here...

No, you dont get more points. But unfit troops cost less. And I dont think anyone said it should not be put on the list.

WWB

Originally posted by MasterGoodale:

That way, with a Tourny Sve there is NO CHEATING.

Actually, to be strictly accurate, the player who first receives the tourney-saved scenario can still cheat by starting the game first as the Soviets, then as the Germans. Then he can start the actual PBEM game and send it off.

Just a thought to pop your security bubble a bit.

Steve