To all Designers

Fred

Please give an indication in the briefing, if the computer should stick to scenario default setup or should be free to setup his units (for both sides).

Some designers simply bump all units somewhere in the setup zone. This is fine if playing vs. a human, but if playing the AI, please note in the briefing that the AI should setup free.

As you know, the AI needs all the help it can get smile.gif

Thx

Fred

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Fred ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fred:

Please give an indication in the briefing, if the computer should stick to scenario default setup or should be free to setup his units (for both sides).<hr></blockquote>

Oops... guilty smile.gif I will endevor to do that from now on. In mine, always allow free setup.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stoffel:

Other point is the use of different coloured setup areas

I have played scenarios where C platoons HQ was in a blue setup area and the platoon itself in a red area on the other side of the map

Very irritating<hr></blockquote>

I do not know which scenario(s) you refer to, but was there anything in the briefing about your units being out of command? The designer may have had a reason for doing that... or, it might have been a mistake. Contact the author(s)

Good point, I often wonder about that.

The default seems to be "free to place" but since the poor AI usually needs help, I have ASSUMED that I should stick to scenario default. My assumption was the creator has chosen what troops to set up where since he prolly does that better then the AI.

For example I had no clue WBW scens should be played free to set up!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ligur:

Good point, I often wonder about that.

The default seems to be "free to place" but since the poor AI usually needs help, I have ASSUMED that I should stick to scenario default. My assumption was the creator has chosen what troops to set up where since he prolly does that better then the AI.

For example I had no clue WBW scens should be played free to set up!<hr></blockquote>

I always made the same assumption. Ive seen the way the AI sets up -- esp on a wide map. The troops are all over the place.

I always used default setup, figuring that the designer would have put the troops in an intelligent spot.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I should think one of the responsibilites of a scenario designer should be to set up both sides before releasing it to the public.<hr></blockquote>

Absolutely. One problem is though that the AI sometimes has other ideas than the designer, and just marches the troops across the battlefield to correct the 'mistake'. Particularly in larger scenarios.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> One more thing, in ALL of mine, allow free AI setup, Fred...WB <hr></blockquote>

Does that apply to the scenarios on the game CD too? Have I been playing them against a handicapped AI? Are all my victories hollow at this point??? :eek: