Release date . . . So long CMBO

It was a nice, long run. After two constant years of unforgettable groggy enjoyment, the time soon comes for me to take CMBO out of its hollowed place in my CD tray. A more interesting front, more interesting equipment, many improvements over CMBO, and the fact that playing either side will actually be interesting has made CMBB do what wasn't possible for the past two+ years--take the place of CMBO.

Thanks for all the fun and I'll catch the Western Front again after the engine rewrite and after many more incredible improvements are implemented. In the meantime, I'll be fighting in the East.

Thanks for two incredible wargames, BFC. Many of us old grogs have been waiting for them for a very long time.

I remember when it was Avalon Hill's project for computer Squad Leader - in the Bigtime Software days (really enjoyed Over the Reich, too, Charles). When I first saw it I thought, "You've got to be kidding..." Wasn't impressed at all. Finally, played the demo after Avalon Hill was assimilated by Hasbro and I was hearing good stuff about CMBO. The first time I played it I thought, "God, I hope they're coming out with the Russian front!"

Many thanks, BTS->BFC! And, well done smile.gif

today is ship day in the states and to all points not in "fortress europa". the war i have been waiting for will soon begin. it is time for germany to open up it's second front and fight the war hitler has wanted since the beginning, and the war he would regret before his death.

it needed to be fought, for he knew he couldn't trust stalin to stay non-aggressive with the largest army in the world for very long. perhaps with a massive strike he could knock her out quickly, before she could recover. after all, she sued for peace in the great war didn't she? and germany didn't have tanks then. yes, it will be quick and bloody, and when it's over, germany will have the living space it needs....

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue.giftongue.gif

Originally posted by KiloIndiaAlpha:

Yes! A big thanks to BFC, you've made me, a 43 year old kid, very happy.

I don't know but my eldest son,3 years and 4 months, may be your youngest fan, he regularly asks 'Can we look at the tanks again daddy?' smile.gif

Mike

Now that's a good kid. Obviously, you are raising him right :D

Yes! A big thanks to BFC, you've made me, a 43 year old kid, very happy.

I don't know but my eldest son,3 years and 4 months, may be your youngest fan, he regularly asks 'Can we look at the tanks again daddy?' smile.gif

Mike

My 4 year old daughter likes to watch the tanks and buildings "blow up. . .That was cool Dad! Do it again!" "But baby, they blew up my tank!" smile.gif

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

I don't think I'll be abandoning CMBO just yet. I've only had the game around 2 months now & it beats the sh*t out of Close Combat Invasion Normandy. If any game is being removed from my hard drive, it's CC5. Less vehicles, only 1 zoom level - I don't think so.

CC was amazing when it was released, particulary CC2. But the series wend downhill from there. By CC4, it took a nosedive. It's sad to see a good game series go bad.

Mike

That's funny because my son, who was around 4 when CMBO came out, used to say "let's play the tank game tonight daddy...OK!"

He is almost 6 now and he still calls it the "tank game" ;)

Originally posted by kking199:

I can't say CC went down hill as much as it never evolved or really improved any, same game different theaters. I will always have warm thoughts of CC:ABTF, man I loved that game.

To me, that's going downhill. If you aren't going forward, then you are slipping back. Gamers are a picky bunch and grog gamers are infamously so. CC2 will remain a classic and landmark, no doubt.

"He is almost 6 now and he still calls it the "tank game""

LOL! That's what my 7 year old cousin calls Operation: Flashpoint. When she is bored I use the mission editor and have a bunch of 2 1/2 ton trucks rush a single BMP-1 that she controls as the gunner. She also loves knocking down trees with the T-80.

"Hey Petey! Can we play the army truck game again!?"

I got to make sure that kid doesn't get too girly you know...