Wild Bill's Rumblings of War [Part IV], aka RoW

Just watched the big video Flamedecker sent me!!!

How he manges to do it is beyond me. He must have a secret patch!!! That is the second set of US troops that have had more flames than a BK burger.

I had to spend 20 minutes just watching all the action. We are about 1/2 way through and he has finally got off his bum and is trying to take the flags back.

tongue.gif

As for Der Berg. We are about a 1/4 the way through it. Warren has come up trumps and done several turns today. Unlike our American cousin who has done very little this weekend.

I guess he prefers La De Da ASL and talking to real people and drinking beers rather than being a slave to a computer screen...

Yes dear coming now dear....

Must go and talk to her in doors...

;)

H

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump and update...

The last turn orders in Ranger Challenge against Warren have been sent off, so the end of that game is around the corner. The other two games are both past the half-way point.

Flag Rush Hill with Holien is getting ugly (I'd love to share what a certain unit did!) and the file sizes are way too large - 1.45 megs at last count.

Der Berg with Mr. Dickens is progressing with fewer casualties than earlier in the game, but the pace is also somewhat slower. Who knows how it will end.

Hope away Hope away.....

Turn back to you darling, and if I get my paws on that *oding Arty spotter of yours he will have a lot of explaining to do.

tongue.gif

BTW a few less vehicles on both sides this turn, so should help reduce that 1.5 Meg file soon.

;)

I feel I shall be without points but wait in anticipation..... (as a certain Rocky Horror Character would say).

On the game with Warren I am waiting this turn to see what heat is applied. I hope the pilot light blows out and the bake beans my troops have had work to my benefit not against me.

H

[ April 10, 2002, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Holien ]

Well Greg and I have finished the "Ranger Polka" and let me say it was thrust and parry affair with a fair amount of sweating (huhuhuh..he said "thrust"..huhuhu). I only hope we haven't managed to knock each other out of the finals.

Wreck and I continue to grapple. My head is starting to ache from being bounced of the ground so many times.

And my lads on the Hill continue to blast Yankees in laderhosen to the tunes of the "Sound of Music"

It has been a lovely war so far.

Originally posted by The_Capt:

And my lads on the Hill continue to blast Yankees in laderhosen to the tunes of the "Sound of Music"

I can almost hear the alphorns in that one.

"Ri----cola"... :D

So Treeburst, can we talk about Range Rover Challenge? Huh? Huh? Can we? And who gets points?

Redecker just do my turn and forget about the points I will only be disappointed when TB tells us.

As for Sounds in dem der hills my lads are pushing up elder flowers at the moment. Some silly moves and some unexpected SMG's in the forest.

Ahh well live (actually die) and learn.

So send me a turn and keep it moving....

H

One more question -

At the risk of tipping my hat slightly concerning the outcome of my game with Warren, how will a contested flag be handled in the scoring system? Will it be the same as in the previous section of the tournament, with points split between the players?

"Ranger Challenge" results with Allied players on the left:

Wreck 56, Holien 30

Redeker 35, Miron 37

This gives Wreck and Warren the victory points for this scenario.

The Finals Standings:

Wreck.......1 point

Warren......1 point

Redeker.....0

Holien......0

Feel free to discuss (cuss?) this scenario all you want.

Treeburst155 out.

As I feared. Ahh well. I should have rushed the flag and made it contested. It was a poor decision and possibly cost me the point there.

The game with Wreck saw the flag in the Heavy building contested by Wreck and the light building un contested and in Wrecks control.

I made a conscious choice not to rush the flag as I felt it would not have been the thing I would have done IRL, and as the tourney was based upon the premise of trying not to "gamey" flag rushes I did not do one.

I have an image and will spend the next few minutes trying to add it to this post.

May I say that this is in no way a complaint about how Wreck played the game and is a comment about something I could have done and perhaps should have done.

More comments in a min or two...

I see to post an Image here I need to place it on the Web, not sure where I can place it and can not I guess just cut and Paste Bitmap in this thread. :(

H

[ April 11, 2002, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Holien ]

My rangers were able to take the buildings, and were able to bring some fire on the German reinforcement arrival areas, but late in the game ammo became a major concern. I thus found myself using hide and ambush commands vs. Warren's counterattack, and I stupidly left one of them in place during the final turn. When a squad didn't run over the ambush marker, a crack squad (with six effectives, four ammo points left, and under command of a leader with lots of bonuses) just kept his head down for the whole final turn.

[Kicks self, cries over spilt wine, etc.]

For me Wreck managed to get both VL's and take out the bunker. I managed to launch a counter attack to take back the Heavy building but Wreck still had two single men (1 shaken Vet Rifleman and 1 Zooka chap) within 100 meters of the building.

1 more turn and they would have been dead and the VL mine. He had a unit without ammo in the other VL and I should have charged it with a unit that had ammo.

ahhh well I guess I shall have to buy my wine...

H

P.s If anyone can work out what the score would have been with two flags contested that would be good? It would settle my ind that it would have made no difference I can move on. ;)

[ April 11, 2002, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Holien ]

Just to clarify:

I also took out the bunker early in the game, but not before it had gunned down a bazooka crew. I was able to assault and occupy the VL buildings with a squad apiece, with other squads in the trees across the road and a weaponless mortar crew in the trees next to the burning building. Warren's counterattack was held off until turn 12, when he rushed and managed to get a few squads into some foxholes in the scattered trees next to the VL's (some of his initial positions). He didn't even try to take the buildings themselves, but it was enough to throw both flags into contention; his slightly better kill/loss ratio then turned the tide.

Redecker thxs for that turn, please take it back forwith and stop being such a jammy git.

I can safely say that the only red wine I will be drinking is the cheap Australian reds we get over here.

:(

God do I hate bloody Artillery and Soft top American tanks.

:eek:

H

P.s. As for the Beer Delivery boy he had Four Tanks and a Zooka against him. He still gets away and bags two tanks and the third is bagged by a Zhreck. This liitle duel has been going on for three minutes and I get the ****ty end of the stick. :(

Ohhh what luck I think JK has put a curse on me.

I am going to lie down and try and calm down where is my Teddy Bear.

:rolleyes:

[ April 11, 2002, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Holien ]

Yeah Yeah rub it in you Yank. Just wait until it happens to you!!! :mad:

It was a silly design for a tank, fancy not putting roofs on them. I ask you just because it is good weather on the West Coast does not mean it does not rain shrapnel in Europe. :rolleyes:

And before anyone harps on about eggs in a basket, they have hatched and flown the coup and the barn door is wide open. :eek:

I hope the beer delivery boys break some bottles as they jump up and down with glee. ;)

Just send me the file and put me out of my misery you are wiping the board with me and I am starting to question if you and Wreck have not been swaping tips.

tongue.gif

Us poor Commenwealth chaps are getting chopped down as did our one best hope for the world cup last night.

Off to bed to sulk and try and get comfort from her in doors, now where did I put those handcuffs..... Beat me! Beat me! might as well be physical as well as mental!!! :D

H

[ April 11, 2002, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Holien ]

Holien,

It may be possible to figure out what the score would have been in your game with Wreck if both flags had been contested. I would have to think about it for a bit, and study the AAR screen for casualties, etc. I'll do it when I get more time. Right now I'm busy because the Nordic Championship tourney has finished; and because spring has sprung, sending my wife into extreme "honey-do" mode. :(

Treeburst155 out.

Well I must say good game to Greg. He did just about everything right.

I managed to pull it off thru pure gameyness but a gameyness driven with a plan.

I had lost the setup Pl in the first couple of turns along with the bunker, but I had set them up in the clump of trees behind the houses so when I got my reinforcements I decided that an attempt to retake the objectives was suicide but reoccupying my foxholes would get me close enough to get those flags in contention. The dice decided the rest.

I think if Greg had pushed forward and occupied my holes I would not have been able to do what I did but hindsight is etc.

Now back to the other two "not so quick" games.

Originally posted by The_Capt:

I think if Greg had pushed forward and occupied my holes I would not have been able to do what I did but hindsight is etc.

You know, I considered that, but I thought that the cover differential was a valid tradeoff. You did have that one mortar, and so would have gotten airbursts on any guys in the trees. I had also taken some casualties, and was to about a platoon of effectives. As I also explained in an earlier post, ammo was a large concern, and I was afraid that a more forward position would have my troops running out of bullets by turn 10 or 11.

Oh well, it was still a fun game. smile.gif

I guess Redecker did not have his massive amount of luck in that game and saved it up for mine.

Get to work Redecker and sort out our turn...

You let me down by not hammering Warren.

tongue.gif

H

[ April 12, 2002, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Holien ]

Originally posted by Holien:

I guess Redecker did not have his massive amount of luck in that game and saved it up for mine.

Get to work Redecker and sort out our turn...

You let me down by not hammering Warren.

tongue.gif

H

I think I used up all my "Hammer Warren" luck when we played Sounds in the Night. ;)