Hosting mods - possible solutions?

Originally posted by Compassion:

Both groups are not quite dead enouygh it looks like... reposts has been getting traffic recenlty... how aobut a.b.g.repost (no no trailing s)?

I only have the plural version of repost (reposts). I'll start a move to get an a.b.g.combat-mission going. Hopefully I don't have to jump through too many hoops to do so.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

I really don't understand why BFC didn't say a word on this... so *bump* and see :rolleyes:

I bump my earlier question up again smile.gif : where does Matt host his CombatMissionHQ? What is the pricing of this? He has tons of mods there and I suspect he needs a giant bandwith for his site.

***rrt-rrt-rrt-chicka-pfft***

I have checked this : both battlefront.com and combatmission.com goes to the same IP. So BFC is already sponsoring a mod site. I guess the bold headed one only needs somebody who makes the work for him ;)

[ October 20, 2002, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Scipio ]

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

I don't think the file planet idea is such a bad one. It's annoying to wait in line to download, but it's not always full, and it would provide us with a central location and lots of space.

All true. I'm just thinking about propagation to the partner servers outside of the base Los Angeles servers... not sure they will mirror relatively low activity files. Also selfishly thinking back to the time I lost my hard drive and had to rebuild my CM from scratch... yikes!

I dont think the Yahoo option will work ... mainly due to the storage limitation.

If anybody comes up with a solution, I have some

webspace available that i'd be willing to use

...not actually sure how much (20 - 50 mb) if it is needed.

Until something is sorted out, im going to try getting hold of some mods .... though finding them is now not so easy ... and i'll share them over Kazaa & WinMX ... i reckon i could store about 1 gigs worth ... though obviously uploads will be queued.

Would need to slightly rename the files to make them easy to search for. If anybody has a CMBB mod .. new or old that they want shared this way

let me know where to d/l it.

Anybody think this is worth while as a temporary solution until a good mod site surfaces ??

Lou2000

I think it has been mentioned earlier but I see that there are two problems setting up mod site.

1) need person to do the hard work

2) need site with space and bandwith

For first I have no solution because it takes certain kind of people to put good mod site. At least I want to see comparasion between old and new before I download mods.

For second it might be possible to divide the load. Someone suggested that it could be divided by category, like someone hosting soviet armour and other german armour etc. Of course those categories could be smaller than that ;)

I think some clear areas like that could be good because if one subsite goes down wouldn't need to change many links.

I am going to find out if it would be possible to host some files on our site. We have couple extra machines and have big pipes so technically it wouldn't be problem and I don't even think anyone would notice that extra traffic, but better to check first.

So perhaps some modding sites that actually need space to put files and bandwith to move them should inform rest of us and we could see if we can help..

The problem also isn't only the number and sizes of the mod's that you host, but the number of times a single mod is downloaded each day and how many concurrent connections are on your site downloading different mods.

This was the problem with my host at least, I was fine as far as total size of all mods.

GJK

Originally posted by Lou2000:

I dont think the Yahoo option will work ... mainly due to the storage limitation....

{snip}..If anybody has a CMBB mod .. new or old that they want shared this way

let me know where to d/l it.

I also dont believe the Yahoo idea will work.

Im on most nights (west aussie time) and I have kazaa (light) running and I have shared my CMBB/CMBO mods archive directory (around a gig). I am progressively going through them and adding in CMBB or CMBO as a keyword for each file, whilst keeping the file name as the mod artist called it. So by doing a search on CMBB it should come back with those mods available. the file name will be that which appears on the web page, for eg "Puds_ss_uniforms.zip" will show up if you do a search on CMBB (assuming im online at home).

If you want to give it a try I will be online at home in around 6 hours time (im at work now) and normally stay connected for my full 5 hours (on dialup, max connect time in one sitting)

[edit - Lou2000, you dont have to rename the file, click on the file within kazaa, edit its properties, add in keyword CMBB or CMBO]

[ October 22, 2002, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Pud ]

Originally posted by jKMkIII:

Actually, not really. The beauty of the internet is that one can link to different sites. So, if we can find someone with the bandwith to host the file storage side someone else can run a site on a different server using a much lower cost hosting scheme to act as a front end. That site would likely need some bandwith but not a massive amount since preview pics are rather small compared to the files they describe.

WWB

Originally posted by wwb_99:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jKMkIII:

Actually, not really. The beauty of the internet is that one can link to different sites. So, if we can find someone with the bandwith to host the file storage side someone else can run a site on a different server using a much lower cost hosting scheme to act as a front end. That site would likely need some bandwith but not a massive amount since preview pics are rather small compared to the files they describe.

</font>