(kind of) new mod--constructive criticism needed (more pix added 4/24)

Inspired by the impending CMMOS German uniform release, I started playing around with a few of my textures. This is one result:

newsmock.jpg

I farted around with the colors and saturation, and added the new Feldgrau open collar with a shirt underneath.

So...is anyone interested? Does it look ok? The reason I ask is not to solicit praise (though it's ok if you want to leave some here--we modders are ego-driven creatures :D ) is that I can't really decide whether I like the collar or not. Color is ok, though.

[ April 25, 2002, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]

I dig the open collar. Shirt underneath works well.

The camo looks spiffy with the feldgrau trousers - I'd use it straight outta the box... you've even made the stock face textures look good in that gettup!

See here, Mugsy - just you never mind this CMMOS conspiracy, us Mac addicts need it now!

[ April 24, 2002, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife ]

The only problem I see is the too shiny belt buckle, but since you didn't ask about that - the shirt collar looks good; shirt colour is good, tunic colour is great, tarnjacke very well done. Nice web gear, maybe a bit dark, but I'll bet it looked like that when it got good and dirty in the field (that only takes about half a day, really).

You've got the shirt button on the right side, too, so it looks like you're all set. I feel sorry for the poor dude, though - can't you unbutton his shirt collar - or is it too hard to get the neck part of the body bmp to match the face (or course, I guess depending on which faces you use, there is a compatibility issue - probably why you are doing the collar up in the first place, right?)

Looks good, as always. I think I may need this one, actually, my SS camo smock dudes are way too bright. When and where can we get this?

the colour is very nice.

is it possible to get the "old-style" (from your original pack) smock collar in there?

not that the collar is bad, i just like the other one better smile.gif

again, the colour is great and i'll use it regardless, and thanks for the great mods :cool:

[ April 24, 2002, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: Sidewinder ]

FSTK, what the hell are you doing here squabbling about belt fashion, collars and trousers ? I remind you that you owe me a turn in our email game and that I'm going to win (or so it seemed )!!! :D:D

You don't want to be publicly denounced as an unreliable player and have to make your autocriticism here, do you, huuum ? ;)

[ April 24, 2002, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: Pascal DI FOLCO ]

I'll have to agree with the bandwagon about the shiny belt buckle. It makes him look like a parade deck soldier.

The collar looks fine with me. I really like the darker tone of the spring smock compared to your original Action Pack releases.

BTW, you need a new face mod!

Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

What phrase/slogan was it that the standard issue Wehrmacht belt buckle had stamped into it (early war, at least)?

"God with us"?

Nice uniform, Andrew. I like the collar and the shirt.

BTW, I get to go play Army again in a few weeks. Any chance you can make me a real copy? I'd look wicked cool... :D

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

What phrase/slogan was it that the standard issue Wehrmacht belt buckle had stamped into it (early war, at least)?

The collar indicates SS, so I'd say "Blut und Ehe" (Blood and glory), IIRC.

Cheers

Olle</font>

I think the collar looks good. Any time you can

improve the appearance of a mod it helps in my opinion. The reason I enjoy this game so much is the different mods that so greatly improve the enjoyment of looking at the game thereby making the game that much more fun to play. Now as far as the belt buckle I say I like it. You need for mods and uniform mods in particular to stand out in the game although I personally feel that all mods look better and more enjoyable if they stand out but that's me. In real life plain is better but this is a game and eye candy just adds to the game. My opinion of course.

Glad to see I'm inspiring some new mods. smile.gif

Well, as the guy who is going to have to add ANOTHER uniform to CMMOS... ;)

I like the darker color for this smock. Is this intended to be a replacement for the current summer oakleaf pattern smock? Also, are you going to include matching trousers as well, like with your first Super Action Pack?

As far as the collar is concerned, it's a bit hard to tell form the shot. Any chance I can get a closer look? ;)

A also agree with most here in that the buckle appears a bit too shiny.

My 2 cents...

Keith

Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

Glad to see I'm inspiring some new mods. smile.gif

Well, as the guy who is going to have to add ANOTHER uniform to CMMOS... ;)

Better make that UNIFORMS, as I'm reworking the whole lot of my Waffen-SS camo mods--summer and autumn oakleaf and 44 dot.

smile.gif

Andrew, just a thought. If you are redoing your uniforms anyway my suggestion would be making at least a couple that stand out. I know many will disagree but I personally don't see the need or desire to have everything all dark and hard to see. I know this is my personal opinion but I wonder if others feel this way. If not so be it. Now I don't mean shiney but like some of your preivous SS ones. I think it's the fall camo ones. Those you can see real well and just make the game funner. Is funner a word? Anyway, my thoughts for what they are worth. I do enjoy your mods by the way. They are outstanding and look so damn real. I never get tired of getting down real close in the game just to look at them.

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Andrew, just a thought. If you are redoing your uniforms anyway my suggestion would be making at least a couple that stand out.

I personaly was hopeing Andrew would tone down/weather his excellent uniforms. I've always used 'em cause they rock, but the SS dot and US tan jackets have been always too bright IMHO. No offence to you Andrew, your mods kick ass all the same! :cool:

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Andrew, just a thought. If you are redoing your uniforms anyway my suggestion would be making at least a couple that stand out. I know many will disagree but I personally don't see the need or desire to have everything all dark and hard to see. I know this is my personal opinion but I wonder if others feel this way. If not so be it. Now I don't mean shiney but like some of your preivous SS ones. I think it's the fall camo ones. Those you can see real well and just make the game funner. Is funner a word? Anyway, my thoughts for what they are worth. I do enjoy your mods by the way. They are outstanding and look so damn real. I never get tired of getting down real close in the game just to look at them.

Well, I'm not going to pull the old, brighter-colored ones. Some of the textures are bright in color because that's the color they were in real life. I remember someone complaining that they didnt have the dark, desaturated look that they did in "Saving Pvt Ryan" or "Band of Brothers", where the print was purposely given a dark, washed-out, desaturated look (I think by using a b/w developing process on color stock). Gave it a great atmosphere, but things don't really look like that!

[ April 24, 2002, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]

Looks good. On the "too shiny" side I'ld add the K98k ammo pouches. Black leather and surely they were gloss when factory fresh and/or on the parade ground / during inspection, but in combat them leather things wear off their gloss fast.

I may be wrong on that though.

btw: you should work on the appearance of your panzerschreck in that mod :D:D:D

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

The collar indicates SS, so I'd say "Blut und Ehe" (Blood and glory), IIRC.

Cheers

Olle</font>