(kind of) new mod--constructive criticism needed (more pix added 4/24)

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

Looks good. On the "too shiny" side I'ld add the K98k ammo pouches. Black leather and surely they were gloss when factory fresh and/or on the parade ground / during inspection, but in combat them leather things wear off their gloss fast.

I may be wrong on that though.

btw: you should work on the appearance of your panzerschreck in that mod :D:D:D

I think the leather K98 pouhces in the picture match perfectly a set of worn out and sun-worn pouches; they are more grey than black and seem to look very much like a set of K98 pouches in my possession....I would attribute the light highlights not to glossiness but to salt/sweat stains or to frayed edges, where the black is worn down to the tan coloured natural leather underneath.

Andrew's Panzerschreck mods have always been atrocious, by the way, and I think Markuss has the right idea in hounding you until we get the LATW Super Action Pack.

[ April 24, 2002, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by illo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

What phrase/slogan was it that the standard issue Wehrmacht belt buckle had stamped into it (early war, at least)?

The collar indicates SS, so I'd say "Blut und Ehe" (Blood and glory), IIRC.

Cheers

Olle</font>

Andrew,

I think it looks great...nice and dark, I surely hope that the same pattern/colors of trousers will be available...if so I could hardly see an SS uniform mod topping it. I'm not grog on authentic uniforms, but I love how it looks like the SS unis in Saving Pvt. Ryan, that's my only point of reference and the unis in that movie were dark and dusty, but nice camo on 'em. I'm looking forward to downloading it.

Thanks!

S.M.

Glad everyone seems to like them. I'm not really a grog on anything, but I do a lot of research before I put a mod together. I have to admit to going for the "SPR" look a bit here.

Here are a couple more in progress shots:

erbsenmuster.jpg

autumn.jpg

The dot pattern needs a little more work, although the "salmon" overtones are a bit more authentic. I was actually able to use some museum conservation training here--I always kind of wondered why the repro dot print fabrics were a lot more red than the originals I've seen, and which I used for the first version. I rememered that red is one of the most fugitive dyes, so I goosed the red levels in Photoshop and got pretty good results.

Still needs a little work though. It's a little too saturated for my taste.

I'd loose the SS eagle on the sleeve. Not only does it show up on both arms (which you know is wrong), but regulations forbade insignia on the dot pattern stuff. Yeah, I know they sometimes ignored the regulations, but since CM puts it on both arms, may as well just jettison it. And wouldn't they have used a camouflage-coloured sleeve eagle anyway?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I'd loose the SS eagle on the sleeve. Not only does it show up on both arms (which you know is wrong), but regulations forbade insignia on the dot pattern stuff. Yeah, I know they sometimes ignored the regulations, but since CM puts it on both arms, may as well just jettison it. And wouldn't they have used a camouflage-coloured sleeve eagle anyway?

Actually, the eagle was the only thing regulations let them wear on this uniforms. It was collar insignia/rank that wasn't allowed, IIRC. I don't think the shoulder eagle was very common, however.

Keith

Andrew it looks great. Referring to the Autumn one. Love the collar and the SS Eagle and the color is excellent. I say the cooler a mod looks more the better. There is no such thing as too cool looking in a game. After all if we just wanted regular ugly mods we could always just use the originals. ;) Now Andrew how about one in yellow so it really stands out. In good taste of course. :D Really Andrew, good looking mods as usual. Thanks. Just a thought. What about rank stripes on the sleeves like privates etc? Did helmets have chin straps in those days? I guess cigerettes hanging from the mouth would be a little much - you think?