Axis Campaign

I started off in big trouble but ended up with a major axis victory. I think the Stugs are critical to winning. I lost one to a Cromwell about halfway through but was able to take it out at the same time my Stug bought it. I think I was lucky after that and got the other Crom and a Stuart and two Bren Carriers with the other by stalking them. Also don't discount the effectiveness of your 251/2 mortar carriers as each of mine succeeded in breaking up a brit infantry charge late in the game. The Brits surrendered to me on about turn 24. I lost both Hotchkiss, one Stug and about half my 251/1s. Hell of a good time, just like I am having on battle 2 trying to keep part of the Falaise pocket open! Fred rocks!!

Here is a shot of the situation on Hill 131:

Holding_Hill_137_South_of_Sword.jpg

It was close till the end. Now on to defend the bridge!

Well , I was playtesting the " Against all odds " scenario Nr.1 a few week ago ( and hope Fred hasn´t changed much in the final version ). This scenario got me hooked from the first turns ! My first battle report:The Brits surrendered on turn 29 :D ( The story of my first scenario Nr.2 battle is quite different... the damned CM AI destroyed my forces in less than 20 turns :( that gave me a nice lesson to read mission briefings carefully before deploying my units... )

SPOILER

In Scenario Nr.1 SPEED is everything ! My men embarked their halftracks and started to race towards the left hill ( I could establish a nice defence line on the hill and the sorrounding woods BEFORE the first british troops entered the scene. My tanks were placed on the street in the woods ). The following allied british infantry rush was encountered with morderous mortar- and MG fire and failed.

After a short firefight between the tanks , the brits deceided to turn their attention to the other hill. Here the story was different: One German mot.platoon was slowy advancing to that hill through the cornfields from the east , another platoon from the south...only supported by one Hotchkiss ( remember : I didn´t know anything about the british forces deployed there... ). To make a long story short: the brits on the hill have my troops a warm welcome with artillery fire and their Cromwell tanks. Only two turns later half of my men there were dead and all Halftracks out of action.... but the Stug´s saved my day ! Since the allied forces at hill 133 were completly destroyed , I could outflank the british right flank with my tanks , destroyed all enemy vehicles and gained victory ( 73/27 points )I lost around 60 (?) men , 6 Halftracks and one Hotchkiss. It was a great fight and...YES I love this scenario.

Cheers

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by highlife:

... Trucks!! what trucks! I'll be lucky to still have control of the bridge!.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Highlife ,

Concerning my first test of scenario Nr. 2: Don´t ask me about trucks :D . Now , after sucessfully playing this scenario again my personal " truck saving record " is..FOUR SAVED tongue.gif. But , believe me , that was a hard race and the drivers always kept one eye to the sky.......

What I loved most in that scenario were the fierce long distance firefight between the tanks ! Asumed you have any tanks left , when the opponent ground forces show up :D

Cheers

Tom

[ 05-23-2001: Message edited by: Tom ]

Hi Fred,

I am anxious to try your new campaign, but I have one question. I downloaded the campaign from Toms HQ site, but all of the scenario information is in german. Is there an english version of the information given for the scenario? I would greatly apprciate an english version. The only thing I know in German is how to count to 10! smile.gif

Freak ,

there are a German AND an English version of the campaign available. You can get the English version by downloading the campaign from the " international " pages of my site.

( see link in the sig ).

The German version is named " axcmp_ge.zip " ( I guess that´s the one you use ) , while the english version is named " axcmp_us.zip ".

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freak:

Hi Fred,

I am anxious to try your new campaign, but I have one question. I downloaded the campaign from Toms HQ site, but all of the scenario information is in german. Is there an english version of the information given for the scenario? I would greatly apprciate an english version. The only thing I know in German is how to count to 10! smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Freak,

I use DD's terrain mods for grass, tree bases etc. I believe the trees are his too. I have tried a bunch of mods but I have stuck with an all DD set I think. Sky is Tiger's. They are available at Combat Mission HQ.

Tom - Thanks Tom! With both netscape and explorer I am unable to link to the "mini-campaigns" link on the international site. The other area's of the scenario links work great, but with the international one I am unable to even select "mini-campaigns". Btw, I am on a macintosh.

highlife - thanks for letting me know. I have toyed around with mods and especially grass terrain mods. Can you tell me if those are the high res version or the low res. I still have yet to find a more desirable grass mod. I think I tried DD's once but it slowed down my computer, I think it was the high res version.

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: Freak ]

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: Freak ]

I'm about 20 turns into game 1 - I must confess I was a little pissed off when:

1/ the Brit armour arrived right on top of my 2 h/t's that were doing a "left hook" to provide fire support for an infantry assualt up the hill, and

2/ A stug lost it's gun to a HE shot from a cromwell at a MG 10 yards away!

but the H39's are doing sterling service in infantry support...(er...isn't that what they were designed for??!! :D), the other stug has accounted for 2 Crom's, 1 Stuart and miscellaneous h/t's, Bren carriers and white scout cars, and, as someone else said, the 251/2's (and the walking 81mm mort) have a ball whenever the Brit infantry is in view! IIRC they're out of ammo now! :(

So the game is finely balanced - there's 1 Crom left vs 1 Stug, the gunless stug, H-39's and h/t's are supporting my infantry against the Brits at the top of the 2nd hill, and I think I've only taken 5 or 10 casualties so far so I'm in good shape to push on once the Crom's disposed of!

Well, I want to hear from more people who bought it hard in Scenario 1. It will make me feel better.

I actually quit, after pushing HARD in a concentrated attack on the left, losing one stug to a Cromwell, and the other to a diabolical artillery barrage.

Captain,

that sounds like bad luck, losing a StuG to an artillery barrage.

In my game tests, it worked best to take the left hill fast, while sending a platoon to probe into the direction of the right hill.

If you own the left hill, you can then give supporting fire fron the high ground, or use it as a stage for an assault on the right hill (I guess this was Tom's tactic, and it worked).

I designed the scenarios to be a little bit on the challenging side, but all can be won smile.gif

Fred

Fred ,

wait until the discussion about scenario Nr. 3 starts !!! :D ..... That´s the one where I was beaten by the AI two times....

Cheers

Tom

Hope you got some inspiration to release a sequel in the near future.

Freak ,

the image map problem you mentioned is known ( it only happens to Mac users so far ..mysterious ! ). Please enter my site via the new portal ( see link in the sig below ) and choose the Netscape/ non framed version to enter my site. Everything should work fine now.

Cheers

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Message by Freak: - Thanks Tom! With both netscape and explorer I am unable to link to the "mini-campaigns" link on the international site. The other area's of the scenario links work great, but with the international one I am unable to even select "mini-campaigns". Btw, I am on a macintosh. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just tried the first scenario and got a British surrender on turn 29. Unlike most people it was actually the Hotchkisses that did most damge for me, the Stugs died cheaply. One H-39 took out a Cromwell with a side shot before being nailed by the other, which fell to the panzerschreck. The second H-39 then turned into the Hotchkiss of Doom, killing the Stuart, 2 White Scout cars, 2 carriers and a bundle of infantry. The halftracks did a good job of mopping up the British infantry after my own had taken a bad mauling. It got a bit tough in the middle game though.

Good work, Fred. I'm looking forward to the rest of the scenarios.

91 in game 1, and 76 in game 2 - the Poles took the right end of the bridge for a while, but the Stuh took out the last Sherman had on with it's first shot, and it and the a/c that arrived with hte convoy decimated the Polish infantry at the objective overlooking the exit point - Polish surrender on T32.

The best bit was the Polish attack by infantry only down the right hand side of the river - it was only defended by a MG42 and a HQ. A couple of H/T's came up a bit later, making a classic infantry rush vs MG's, but 3 MG's just ain't enough!

The 20mm flak had 3 AP ammo left - it was on the other side of the road from the objective over the exit point and had an exciting time with hte infantry on the opposite hill 50 yards away!

Both Pz-4's were knocked out by Jabo's, but the 75mm Pak's wiped up the Polish armour just nicely!! smile.gif

The Poles made it into the town with a few infantry and a couple of H/T's, but they were all wiped by 2 platoons of mine in htere, albeit at some cost in casualties.

All the Allied arty went after 1 75mm pak, finally killing it on the last turn - the ground around it was like a moonscape!

Excellent game...especially 'cos I won!! smile.gif

[ 05-26-2001: Message edited by: Stalin's Organ ]

I bought it too - not hard, but bad enough. I should have used the near hill on the left to shield me from the second, but I did the time honoured tactic known as "hey diddle diddle, straight up the middle." Sort of. More of a left oblique ala Gettysburg...I did manage to stalk a Cromwell with a Panzerfaust, though - quite rewarding. It was neat to see a Stuart charge through my infantry, run up point blank to a Hotchkiss and blow it away, then run over my panicking infantry - I have never seen the AI so aggressive...

In the first scenario I rushed h/t's full of inf up to the wood just below the furthest hill and hid there for about 15 turns while the Brits were shot to bits by 251 MG's and mortars.

A platoon ran to the nearest hill almost as quickly as the h/t's got their troops into position. and it and the 3rd platoon hid in the woods that the road runs through, ambushing the occasional squad that tried to move through there.

Really the exposed nature of hte furthest hill was devastating for the Brits - I could shoot it up from almost anywhere on hte map, while they couldn't get enough on top to allow them to win the firefight - well there wasn't a firefight 'cos I shot them to bits with light armour from outside PIAT range!

By the time I sent in the infantry it was a walkover.