Strange TacAI behaviour

In a current PBEM I had a german medium Pz in a village.

He was area-firing at a HMG about 150-200m away.

I expected a KVI to come around the corner so I gave him a 'pause' order and a reverse order.

The plan was that the Pz should fire one or two rounds and then reverse behind the house before the KV popped up.

The turn started and The Pz fired at the HMG team. Then the KV came into view (sooner than expected), fired at my Pz and missed. The Pz still showed the 'area-fire target line' but shot at the KV!

Then the Pz reversed behind the house out of LOS from the KV. All that time the Pz was unbuttoned.

The Pz was covered by the building, no targeting lines to/from the enemy KV.

But there was still the 'area-fire target line' showing from the Pz to the target. But LOS to the target was now obscured by the house, so the Pz now advanced again and got whacked by the KV.

What happenend there? The Pz was unbuttoned and clearly saw the KV (he even fired at him), yet decided to override my reverse command to get into full LOS of the enemy tank again to fire at the HMG???

The KV was spotted and indentified as KV I all the time, so I really don't know what my Pz crew tried to pull here...

Can a 'area fire' order cause a tank to move on its own?

BFC, I want my tanks to behave more cowardly, fix or do somefink!

:D

Glad you like them, guys... Time for some positive vibrations around here...

Thx redwolf, the situation in that thread seems almost identical to what happened in my game.

I really didn't understand what happened there. My Pz charged forward, right into a fence, got slowed down and killed.

As long as he was behind the house there wasn't any danger at all, no incoming fire, there wasn't a single enemy in sight. Morale was fine, too.

Well, sometimes strange things happen...

[ December 02, 2002, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

ParaBellum,

Send me the file at steve@battlefront.com. Trying to determine what happened (or didn't) based on text descriptions doesn't work too well.

The turn started and The Pz fired at the HMG team. Then the KV came into view (sooner than expected), fired at my Pz and missed. The Pz still showed the 'area-fire target line' but shot at the KV!
From time to time it appears that the targeting line is graphically incorrect. This apparently doesn't have any negative effect on the game (as far as we know). Your PzII should have done exactly what it did, at least up to this point.

Then the Pz reversed behind the house out of LOS from the KV. All that time the Pz was unbuttoned.

The Pz was covered by the building, no targeting lines to/from the enemy KV.

OK, still good so far.

But there was still the 'area-fire target line' showing from the Pz to the target. But LOS to the target was now obscured by the house, so the Pz now advanced again and got whacked by the KV.

*snip*

Can a 'area fire' order cause a tank to move on its own?

No, it is not supposed to. There is nothing coded into the TacAI to make a vehicle drive into LOS on its own. The TacAI is defensive only, never offensive. What you described is an offensive manuever, or at least offensive on the surface of it. So this means one of two things:

1. There is a bug which caused the vehicle to move to reestablish LOS to the Area Fire target.

2. There is some other reason that the vehicle moved and just happened to reestablish LOS.

Your PBEM game should allow me to figure out which of the above is the case.

Thanks,

Steve

Thx Steve, file sent.

Interesting: I watched the turn again and even though the target was obstructed by the house, the Pz fired at it (through the house), so he didn't even loose LOS to the targeted spot.

In the other thread rexford pointed out someone describes a nearly identical behaviour with a M17.

Tanks (if not other units) can see thru/shoot thru houses, due to the inherent abstractions of CM. I don't think that they're looking thru the windows on two adjacent sides of the house, but rather the boudnaries aren't where the graphical displays shows them to be. I lost two Shermans to a "see-thru" small bldg in my 1st PBEM.

That's right Silvio, and it already has been like this in CMBO. You can shoot through buildings, especially through the corners of a building.

Although I wouldn't try it with a Wespe/Hummel when close to a building...

But since the Pz didn't lose LOS to the target spot AND he wasn't threatend in any way I just didn't understand why he moved forward. He sat behind the house for about 5 seconds and then decided to taunt the KV a little bit...

Maybe they got bored.

• 2 weeks later...