Fionn's latest AAR at MODs & MODers:

Warren,

I'm glad to see your last post. I was getting the distinct feeling that you were blaming the equipment and saying that was the only reason my guys won the firefight.

As you said. Veteran Pumas are roughly the equal of Regular Stuarts ( Stuarts are a bit better at shorter range... and you'll note that my guys all popped up at quite close range). Add in the fact that you were outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1 and the outcome really shouldn't have been a surprise.

I understand how you could have had incorrect relative valuations of the vehicles initially though.

But still, don't forget that there were some Stuarts firing several times which you either didn't spot at all or don't seem to have spotted until late in the turn. Also, you don't seem to have spotted my zooks ;) .

As to the Stuart being better. Oh I don't know. I played a guy who was ranked top of his ladder some time ago. I lost 2 Pumas in tank on tank battle but wiped out his entire force of 8 to 10 Stuarts with 2 Pumas accounting for at least 3 Stuarts each. I think that the two vehicles are close enough that what matters most is the tactical situation and NOT their technical characteristics.

FWIW Warren. 3 Reg Stuarts cost more than 50% more than 2 Vet Pumas so your results in the 3 Stuarts vs 2 Vet Pumas fight were entirely predictable. If you bring 50% more points to a given firefight you should win it with losses being divided according to the N squared rule of combat ( which has held true through Hannibal and all the way to Nelson at Trafalgar etc).

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fionn,

I do not get your math to be honest. 50% points spent does not directly equal performance. I bought a single Tiger at the same price to your Stuarts I think we all know what the outcome would be.

I think the Stuart is a superior vehicle pound for pound but it is more pricey hence it is balanced. My mistake was to believe that Vet Puma crews could take on 2 to 1, or reduce it quickly enough that it would not be an issue..my bad.

If I had hit on the second round the best you would have gotten was 3 on 2. I assume there were some I didn't see but they didn't hit either.

Now our last turn really pissed me off..a moving Stuart gets a first round kill at about 900m..that hurt!

Oh ya, last point..took a look at the maps..I think any zooks you have out there were being used like mortars. My Pumas were pretty far back.

[ June 06, 2002, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: The_Capt ]

Warren,

Agreed re: Tiger BUT the technical characteristics of the Stuart and Puma are such that 500 points of one vehicle type is the same as 500 points of the other. You may disagree but if you do then I don't see how your previous post in which you praised Steve and Charles for getting the points so right can still stand.

So, if I am assuming your argument is internally consistent then you should agree that 500 points of Stuart = 500 points of Puma (since everything can kill everything else in such a setup).

" My mistake was to believe that Vet Puma crews could take on 2 to 1, or reduce it quickly enough that it would not be an issue..my bad."

I agree absolutely. You had the idea that an 89 point Puma could defeat 2 x 95 point Stuarts ( 190 points total) in a game which relies on equal points spent on forces resulting in equal forces. ( I don't mean that badly but it does make the situation starkly clear.)

You made a mistake with that and that's grand. Live and learn eh? My point is simply that when you initially posted here that it was bad luck that your Pumas lost ... well, that was simply wrong. Your Pumas lost cause I brought way more firepower to bear than they could generate. C'est la vie.

re: the moving Stuart. I hear you Warren. I hear you. I would have bet that one of the 3 ATGs or 2 stationary Stuarts firing to the right flank would have gotten the kill. Still, the ATGs and 2 other Stuarts finished off 2 of the other 3 Pumas. The kill from the moving Stuart was a bit far-fetched though I agree.

[ June 06, 2002, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Fionn ]

Just realised I didn't reply to some previous posts made by some of the guys following the AAR.

Sorry about that.

1. CribTop Gamer, I haven't got the foggiest where those articles might now be. Sorry.

2. Wolfpack... Closest to my style would probably be the people I've played most/taught most. I've played Bil Hardenberger more than anyone else so he's quite like me ( although still betrays his US military roots). Keith plays very much like me too. Some people tell me that Swamp looks a lot like me too but I haven't played him yet ( I will in the Titans Tourney though).

Again, my apologies for not replying sooner. I went to look/think about the answers and never got around to typing them in.

Originally posted by Walker:

Turn 12: this must be the most ruthless extermination of a FSJ platoon I've ever witnessed. I never even considered using 120mm so close to my own troops. I am impressed.

Yeah I guess that's why some people turn sour after a trouncing by Fionn (please note that this is NOT the case for The_Capt here).

I mean, when you buy that much firepower to have it obliterated just like that is pretty much frustrating.

:D

It's working here.

Are you using a Download Manager or not?

The file is 2.96Mb, if you had the mail header and whatnots, it will make for a bulky mailing.

Try again and keep me posted.

Anyone has the same kind of problem?

Please keep me posted.

I'm having the same problem. I use the GetRight download manager and everytime the download stops at 99% with 3037,5 k of 3037,6 k downloaded. Very frustrating! :mad:

Any suggestions? :confused: :confused:

Well it does work WITHOUT any Download Manager and with Downlaod Accelerator Plus.

Couldn't vouch for Getright.

Have you tried a download without it?

I know I haven't exceeded any bandwidth allowance and such so it should work.

Keep me posted and I'll see what to do...

Thanks for your feedback.

I just tried to download the file without GetRight, but that also didn't work. Everything goes fine till 99%, but then the downloading just stops and never ends.

I've also retried to download fionn6-10.zip, but the same problem occurs. That didn't happen the first time I (succesfully) downloaded Fion6-10.

Hope this helps! Anyway, thanks for the support and quick answering!

Ps. Great Website!!!

Comments, questions?

I don't often take a very active part in tips and tricks threads etc but I'd be happy to answer anything along those lines here.

P.s. Marcel, when are the next few turn's going up? I think people would find them "interesting" ;)

Originally posted by Japper:

I just tried to download the file without GetRight, but that also didn't work. Everything goes fine till 99%, but then the downloading just stops and never ends.

I've also retried to download fionn6-10.zip, but the same problem occurs. That didn't happen the first time I (succesfully) downloaded Fion6-10.

Ps. Great Website!!!

It's only natural.

After all, if that AAR is up, it's for you to enjoy it.

So I couldn't really NOT care huh?!

I've tried to download those files again and it just work so I wouldn't know what the problem is.

Hadn't heard from someone else if this is also the case for them.

In any case, it doesn't help you much if it's working for the rest of the bunch and not for you...

So drop me a mail at marcel.vie@wanadoo.fr and tell me what's your upper limit and I'll mail you the files.

Thanks for your feedback and appreciation of my work...

" So I couldn't really NOT care huh?!"

Hmm, but you ARE French ;) . I mean if you cared and gave good customer service they might just deport you or something as an undesirable element. Hell, if they find out your a Pooler they might just shoot you and be done with it.

Tread carefully Pawbroon ;) . YK2 would (well, let's face it, MIGHT) miss you ;)

Originally posted by Japper:

Ps. Great Website!!!

Using no fancy gadgets and a very slow modem I just downloaded said file with no problems at all.

It did take me 10min but guess if someone wants it bad enough thats not long to wait.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh....................BUMP! :D:D

Just tried downloading the file from work, everything went perfect! So there must something wrong with my computer (everything else works just fine, but :confused: :confused:

So I'm finally going to enjoy moves 10-15. They look very promising :eek:

And about the French: if you speak their language, they will treath you good(okee, at least less bad!) ;)tongue.gif

So PawBroon: Merci beaucoup!!!!!!!!! smile.gif

Just adding my two cents. The first three times I tried to DL the 1-5 turns I got to 99%. I was not using anything fancy as my browser (Opera) supports resuming. Unfortunately it would just start at zero again and get to 99%. Anyway the fourth time I tried it it went all the way no problems.

Cpl Carrot

PS always a great read Fionn.