Some advice - Please read...

This is directed mainly at newer members or those who may not have too much experience with changing/modding your CMBB game. Don't use vehicle mods other than Mr. Noobie's CMMOS compatible KV 1's & 2's & T-34's or The Big Cheese's Pz38t's if you're going to use CMMOS 4.0. The result of using other vehicle mods combined with CMMOS can be pretty bad to say the least: an example of this is Mr. Noobie's KV1 M40 with optional slogan. When I tried Gordon's whitewashed Soviet tanks with this one already installed; it was awful. It's a shame too, because Mr. Noobie's mods are really nice.

Before anyone gets mad & says that I'm critcising modders like Mr. Noobie, Panzermartin, etc.; I'm not. I think they've done fantastic jobs ( I couldn't begin to approach their work ). I'm just saying that from personal experience some of these mods don't work well with CMMOS. I'm just posting this so that others may not have to go through the hassle of finding this out.

[ November 19, 2002, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Rob Murray ]

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

This is directed mainly at newer members or those who may not have too much experience with changing/modding your CMBB game. Don't use vehicle mods other than Mr. Noobie's CMMOS compatible KV 1's & 2's & T-34's or The Big Cheese's Pz38t's if you're going to use CMMOS 4.0. The result of using other vehicle mods combined with CMMOS can be pretty bad to say the least: an example of this is Mr. Noobie's KV1 M40 with optional slogan. When I tried Gordon's whitewashed Soviet tanks with this one already installed; it was awful. It's a shame too, because Mr. Noobie's mods are really nice.

Before anyone gets mad & says that I'm critcising modders like Mr. Noobie, Panzermartin, etc.; I'm not. I think they've done fantastic jobs ( I couldn't begin to approach their work ). I'm just saying that from personal experience some of these mods don't work well with CMMOS. I'm just posting this so that others may not have to go through the hassle of finding this out.

Thanks Rob, I was wondering that very thing. What a shame to......decisions, decisions!!

KC

The result of using other vehicle mods combined with CMMOS can be pretty bad to say the least: an example of this is Mr. Noobie's KV1 M40 with optional slogan. When I tried Gordon's whitewashed Soviet tanks with this one already installed; it was awful.
What was awful?

If it was that vehicle apperances didn't "match" -"Here's Mr. Noobies dirty/green KV1 and here's a bunch of white tanks - yuck, who's your decorator green and white are so '70s!" that's not a CMMOS problem, that's a you-mismatched-vehciles-problem.

Did CMMOS do something to Mr. Noobie's tank? Wouldn't re-installing Mr. Noobie's tank after the whitewashed vehicles (just a couple of clicks) have fixed this?

In other words: I'm trying to figure out just what did _CMMOS_ do to cause a problem that wouldn't have happened had you been adding/deleting the mods manually?

hmm im updating the new weathered T34's and KV's that i released to be compatible for CMMOS. im having a bit of trouble doing that. ack you mean theyre not whitewashed when using Gordon's whitewashed vehicles? is that it? hmmm i have yet to try my hand at modding a whitewashed armor and it wont be for awhile since im converting everything ive done to CMMOS. damn me and my modding frenzy. i modded so many armor and vehicles....

What happened was that the sides of the tank were whitewashed and the deck was not. Looked awful. It was the KV 1 M40 that I downloaded from the Mod Database. This is why I said in my original post that I wasn't critising anyone's work. Like I said before, the work you guys put into these things is incredible. I was just saying that something made the tank look terrible after I installed the CMMOS whitewash mod.

One thing you have to be sure of, is the mod your downloading compatible with CMMOS?? if it is not there will be a conflict with the BMPs.

If you notice the BMPs are named differently, for example a CMMOS mod bmp will have a name somthing like this ww_2345.bmp, whereas a mod that is not compatible will have 1234.bmp, I think that is probably what is happening.

i see...well i have no idea on how to fix this CMMOS is new to me. well not really new to me, i just never had my mod with CMMOS before. i think tracer is right about the conflict thing.

EDIT: nothing wrong with criticism just as long its constructive. :D

[ November 19, 2002, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: MrNoobie ]

Well Mr. Bob Toole put out a manual about how to add a mod to the CMMOS, you have to get a prefix for your BMPs from Gordon Molek (he will give the modder sorta like a I.D.}example Joe Bob's I.D. j_b_12345.bmp, and joe bob would have to put this in front of his mod bmps, I think that a ruleset# would also be assigned to joe bob so his mods would work in CMMOSm a little complicated, but not to bad

I am in the process of trying to make my mods CMMOS compatable.But as i see it some people will not bother with CMMOS so i think modders need to release CMMOS compatable and non CMMOS compatable mods.

I personaly don't bother with CMMOS as i tend to select mods that i like and then stick with them until something else comes out then i overwrite it.

So if people want them i will continue to release NON CMMOS mods.So let us modders know. smile.gif

The CMMOS is a good idea, the only problem with it, in my opinion (and everyones got one)is that the folks who aren't to computer savvy have a problem with the installing of it. Other then that I think it's a good idea, and does make it easier to use mods. But then you come to the next question. If you have to get a special tag for you to use to make the mods compatible for CMMOS( you know like the w_w_12345.bmp)you will have to get it from a individual, who will assign it to you so there aren't any conflicts with others, THAT IS IF THAT INDIVIDUAL WANTS YOU TO HAVE IT. meaning that if he (or she, not to offend anyone}feels that your mod is good enough in thier opinion for CMMOS then you will be assigned one, if not, well I guess you keep on posting at the mod data base (great site}

I think you can create your own rulesets without Gordon issuing an "ID." You just have to use something unique so that it does not conflict with someone else's mods. As far as I can tell, Gordon incorporates any mods released in the interim when he releases new versions of CMMOS, and he isn't snobbish about who he includes. One of the neat feaures of 4.0 is that the user can very easily install the rulesets and mods that he wants to use, so even if a ruleset is not released through "official" channels, everyone can use the mods at their own discretion. I've never converted a mod to be CMMOS compliant, but from what I have read it is not that difficult once you understand how CMMOS works. Plus, I'm pretty sure Gordon would be happy to help anyone who is having trouble. The purpose of CMMOS is to let players easily select among various mods and use whichever one fits the occasion. The more mods CMMOS supports, the better it is.

Well according to "Old Dogs" manual "modmakers basics", Old dog states and I quote "Gordon Molek will assign you a rule number", this is written in the Rule or Rules paragragh, under the heading of "THE RULES PACKAGE". And I don't think anyone mentioned anything about Gordon being "snobbish" in my dealings with him he is always, and I'll say it again, always helpful.

Originally posted by gautrek:

I am in the process of trying to make my mods CMMOS compatable.But as i see it some people will not bother with CMMOS so i think modders need to release CMMOS compatable and non CMMOS compatable mods.

I personaly don't bother with CMMOS as i tend to select mods that i like and then stick with them until something else comes out then i overwrite it.

So if people want them i will continue to release NON CMMOS mods.So let us modders know. smile.gif

I'm one of the dummies, I've gotten so frustrated with myself and my inability to master CMMOS that I've quit trying.....sooooo, put me on the non-CMMOS list.

KC, the hopeless PC gamer

[ November 19, 2002, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Krazy Canuck ]

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

Actually after I read a few posts from yesterday's CMMOS release I figured it out & now it works. Don't ask me about " old style " & " new style " mods . I won't attempt that one.

To be honest, I don't swap out mods that often and I'm more than happy with the mods provided to date outside CMMOS. In fact just about everyone I've seen to date, within CMMOS and outside, I like. I'm sticking with what I know, call me old school!!

KC

There is something about having the option to change the look of a particular scenario or for whatever reason that just adds that little lemon juice on the shrimp cocktail of goodness.

The new program is simply fantastic. It is easy to add rulesets and mods. The many options of slogans, insignia, and the recognition stripes are really swell.

I would encourage those modders to work with Gordon to convert their wonderful efforts to the system as it really is a great way to ensure your work will be lasting and that it will be used. Otherwise, it seems that something new gets posted everyday and the older mods get supplanted.

My biggest recommendation is for panzermartin to get those amazing winter mods into CMMOS. Those were choke-on-drool good.

BDH

Panzermartin I second the above suggestion.

P.S.

I'd posted the original thread to warn others who might make the same mistake that I did. I wasn't saying that anyone's mods were crappy. In fact I said just the opposite. The only thing I was trying to warn people about was mixing & matching mods - sometimes it really doesn't work. I don't know why people are attacking me over something that I did not say. Jeez, you know, sometimes I wish I'd never joined this damned forum!!

[ November 19, 2002, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Rob Murray ]

I don't know why people are attacking me over something that I did not say. Jeez, you know, sometimes I wish I'd never joined this damned forum!!
Calm down there, Rob. To me it looks like the only one who might have been "attacking" you was me, and I was just trying to figure out what the problems was.

Now that we know - that there's some incompatibility between one or more of Mr. Noobie's tanks and Gordon's whitewashing function - we can try to do something about it. (Or, more accruately, work around it.)

The problem might be due to some wierd incompatibility bettween the whitewash and Mr. Noobie's deck - after all, CMBB wasn't really designed with CMMOS in mind, AFAIK. However, since it was _just_ the deck (and was it just that one tank?) it might simply be a typo.

Or it might just be that the whitewash function isn't going to work with all mods.

Don't use vehicle mods other than Mr. Noobie's CMMOS compatible KV 1's & 2's & T-34's or The Big Cheese's Pz38t's

HOWEVER - the incompatibility of a couple of CMMOS mods is no reason to _only_ use Mr. Noobie's tanks and the Big Cheese's Pz38. The incompatibility between the whitewash with Noobied tanks is a reason to not use whitewash with Noobied tanks. And there might be other problems, sure. But CMMOS has a lot to offer other than the ability to whitewash tanks.

Rob,

Regarding your KV-1 m40 problem. I've tried applying the Soviet whitewash option first followed by MrNoobie's KV-1 m40 and vice versa and was not able to see a problem. Could you run CMMOS in the sequence that causes the problem and e-mail me the logfile (CMMOSLog.txt) at "gordonemolek@poboxes.com" so that I can try to figure out where the problem is?

If you downloaded the KV-1 m40 from the CM Mod Database, then it is not a CMMOS mod, but which version (date) of the mod did you download (so that I can make sure I have the matching version as I think MrN's gone through several iterations).

tracer,

Yes, I am registering all "official" CMMOS rule-set and rule assignments to prevent conflicts between 2 (or more) people releasing different mods that use the same rule-sets and/or rule numbers. This is to reduce the problems for the users of CMMOS, so that they don't have to deal with mods that destructively overwrite each other. I have NEVER refused anyone a rule-set or rule number request. Do I have time to track down every mod that's published to beg a mod author to publish a CMMOS version of their mod? Do I have time to do CMMOS conversions for every mod that's published? No, I do not.

Pvt.Ryan,

I have set aside portions of the rule-set and rule "name-space" for unofficial or "house" use, but of course, one uses them at their own risk.

Gordon

I wish this thread had "CMMOS" in the title so that I could have found it sooner to address some of these issues.