Invitational Tourney [Part II]

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuerte's turn arrived intact and has been responded to already. I also managed to shake the cobwebs and battle fatigue from my brain and send MickOZ my setup as the Germans.

My Rumblings Section II battles are finished, but I still owe two major AARs before I'm really done.

Regards,

John Kettler

Neither of my two games is going particularly well.

Dorosh's elites and veterans I have surrounded in a large flag Alamo. My Badgers are puffing flames there from all sides, but I might not have enough left to actually take the grounds. Not with 2 PzIV's and a Sug in watch. His elite Panzer IV's were earlier devastatingly effective against my shermans.

Galanti and I are in deadlock, favourable to him. I occupied the big hill first, but only with two halfsquads working as arty baits. That worked, but now the hill belongs to him and I need to take it back somehow.

On my left, my platoon ran against Galanti's flaschirmjaegers, it was hopeless so I sent a few shermans to help. One of them was just taken out by a schreck or a faust.

Yes! Things are looking up again with Dorosh. I had a Badger area firing the general direction of an elite Panzer IV, still staying out of LOS. Took several attempts but the end result was a catastrophic explosion. Simultaneously, my surviving Sherman got a flank shot at a StuH and knocked it out. The Alamo is now reduced to one StuH and maybe two depleted infantry platoons.

Meanwhile, as the now deceased PzIV was pulled out of left flank, I managed to clear out the resistance there. Looks like the remaining big flag in the corner is unoccupied.

If things keep on going my way, I might get a surrender soon...

Battle has been joined with Fuerte, largely in his favor, I regret to say. My infantry on the left engaged his in the center of what looks like Bavaria (hilly, lots of trees, objectives in the center high up), putting an apparent mortar squad to flight and forcing others into the treeline. I also harried his men on my left with mortar fire ordered earlier. The next turns brought pain in quantity. Light armor hunting forward to deal with a pesky HT got smoked by an apparent Sherman. Worse, a regular TD K-killed one of my pieces of veteran armor, even though it was screened by the woods, and didn't die in return. The HT survived a hail of close HE bursts still mobile, too. Fuerte is very lucky so far.

Regards,

John Kettler

Kettler: Lucky? Heheh, you are right, this game has started very well. Already killed one veteran SPW 250/9 Halftrack and SP Gun?, both with first shot. The other veteran SPW 250/9 is buttoned and hiding in the woods. It seems that my crack sniper did something to them. I have had no major losses so far. Keeping my fingers crossed. But the battle has not really started yet. Still the early victories have an impact to the global morale...

Galanti: Got a Axis Major Victory, 76-24. Another win for Germans. In this game I had one AT gun that did nothing, one Sherman that did nothing, and one tank destroyed that did nothing. Also my artillery was much worse than his (my fault). The only unit that tried to do something was the Priest, but even that got killed. Finally my units surrendered. Disappointing game this was. Fog...

Game with Dorosh is near the end.

Yeah, I like to buy vehicles in whole platoons. This is the very first time I've used Badgers.

Anyway, the corner flag wasn't quite as unoccupied as I expected. I approached somewhat cautiously with a whole platoon (although a shot up one). As a result, I didn't lose them all immediately when Dorosh's platoon opened fire. I'll have to move in reinforcements immediately.

The center Alamo is mine. The last StuH was killed by a Piat. Can't be more than one or two squads left.

With Galanti, the fight is still completely undecided. On my left, I've destroyed the platoon I ran across. But it cost me half a platoon and a Sherman. In the middle, I tried moving a few squads to the hill. They were all wiped out.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Game with Dorosh is near the end.

Yeah, I like to buy vehicles in whole platoons. This is the very first time I've used Badgers.

Anyway, the corner flag wasn't quite as unoccupied as I expected. I approached somewhat cautiously with a whole platoon (although a shot up one). As a result, I didn't lose them all immediately when Dorosh's platoon opened fire. I'll have to move in reinforcements immediately.

The center Alamo is mine. The last StuH was killed by a Piat. Can't be more than one or two squads left..<hr></blockquote>

Well, seeing his gamey Badgers coming to the last flag, I rather cleverly extricated them all and simply ran them from one corner, to the next corner, to his corner flag. My global morale collapsed to 14 when my MG was left behind and trapped by his flamethrower, who so bravely fired area fire into him, creaming some of Jarmo's own troops in the process.

If I had one percent more global morale, I could have contested the last flag at least. Still, 24 is not a bad score; best I've managed so far.

Ben Galanti and I just purchased forces, and banned the use of flamethrowers, so perhaps we'll have a decent match. Ari and I started a match as well, haven't heard from him in a day or two though.

Dorosh, Dorosh, calling my units gamey and mentioning your own last minute flag rush in the same post? :rolleyes:

Fortunately the last flag wasn't left completely unguarded. I believe it was the fire from my two (shot up) squads that hammered the final nail to the global morale coffin.

BTW, are fire is what flamethrowers are for. Although burning up my own men wasn't a part of the plan. smile.gif

Anyway, the end score is 76-24.

Allied major victory.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Of the 22 games in the active tournament (not counting games played with 1 or more player who is no longer part of the tourney) that ended in a victory (not a draw), 18 of them were won by the Germans. By my reckoning, anyway.<hr></blockquote>

Well, I'm personally 4-2 as Allies, so I have a feeling your calculations may be a bit off.

Some news from the front, where I am about halfway through with CDIC and Galanti:

CapDog and I are slogging around in the snow and exchanging AFVs at the moment, and I think I am up one in that little contest. Our infantry is just trudging around getting shot up.

In an interesting river/bridge/woods battle with Ben, we both went aggressively for the other side. However, I went over the bridge in the middle and he went across the fords on the flanks. So now we are trying to sort it all out, and should have quite an infantry slugfest ahead.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

I don't understand. 66 games completed minus the two draws leaves 64 games. You only posted statistics for 31 games. Am I being dense here?

Treeburst155 out.<hr></blockquote>

Each game has only one winner, Mike.

EDIT - which would still require 66 winners...I am home with the flu, leave me alone!

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Edit again - okay, does 45 games total sound more correct? with 33 completions? Doh. I was a history major, not math, duh.

Anyone wishing to visit the stats themselves, please do so!

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]</p>

I just wanted to post a quick apology to my opponents. It's turned into a crazy week and I have barely had time to check e-mail at all.

Sorry about this Michael. I thought it was going to be a light week, so it would be a good time to start another game. T urned out I was wrong tongue.gif I'll try to get my purchases out today though.

I'll probably be sporadic through this weekend, but after that it should calm back down and I can get to the business of getting slaughtered ;)

Ben