A riddle

Why is it not off-topic to post this picture here?

First right answer wins. Three pieces of info are required to make a correct answer (what, who, where). The winner will get his handle in my next scenario with a rank and position of his choice (within the confines of the engine).

picture.jpg

Actually could be anywhere in Europe. I came from the Czech Republic and I still remember a lot of building showing bullet wholes and such as in the above picture. Even in Austria when I was there, I saw buildings with bullet wholes and scars war scars like those.

So it can be anywhere from Europe.

Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

I think it's Andy's house where perfection coupled with omniscience started upon his birth into this uneducated world. The rest of us can only stare in awe.

You get an extra price for that Hiram.

Not bad Warpy, two out of three.

Rommel - the large German lettering saying 'Freihalten' would indicate to me that 'anywhere in Europe' is not quite correct.

Perhaps it is your new office in Berlin from which you'll be selling bulletholes and shrapnel to a populace clammering for a supply of bulletholes.

I don't suppose this is above Hitler's bunker? But that was below a Government bldg, was it not?

(Ignore me)

[ March 26, 2002, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Croda ]

Originally posted by Croda:

Perhaps it is your new office in Berlin from which you'll be selling bulletholes and shrapnel to a populace clammering for a supply of bulletholes.

I don't suppose this is above Hitler's bunker? But that was below a Government bldg, was it not?

(Ignore me)

There's not really any visible sign of Hitler's bunker anymore. IIRC, the feeling was that it would become a shrine to neo-Nazis if where it was became common knowledge - although anyone with a wartime map of Berlin could probably work it out.

That said, I'm pretty sure I've seen it. According to the guy I was with, who I believe, the only remaining entrance to the bunker is a metal storm cellar-style set of double doors set in the concrete in the courtyard of an otherwise unremarkable apartment block in central Berlin. I've got a picture, in fact. I'd be interested to hear what the folk with a better knowledge of Berlin than I (Andreas, Warphead) think. Again, I tend to believe the guy who pointed it out, but with things like this I also tend to being skeptical.

Maniac, Oderbergerstr.44, im Hinterhof U2 Eberswalderstr.: Mitten im Prenzelberg gelegen, sehr bruchiger abschreckender Eingangsbereich, das Geschäft liegt im zweiten Hinterhof. Hier gibts nur Bikersachen und Gruftie-/Gothicausstattung
Looks like THE place to shop for your outfit...

[ March 26, 2002, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Warphead- ]

Okay, Warphead is the winner, no appeals allowed. Looking up the shop is impressive. The Oderbergerstr. is running parallel to the Schoenhauser Allee, a major road leading out of Berlin to the north. There Waffen-SS fought to the last man, holing themselves into cellars, or sniping at advancing Soviet troops from 1st Floor windows, as you can see in the photo. Around the corner is an old water tower, which was used as a Gestapo torture centre I have been told. The street is quite special because it ended at the Wall, so you were only allowed to enter it if you had a special pass. The quarter is called Prenzlauer Berg. There are today very few houses with this amount of damage left. Three years ago, when I first went, there were a lot more. The pockmarks of history are vanishing fast in Berlin.

Yes, expect the odd scenario or two in the area. I regularly visit it.

Jim Morrison's grave. Or The Cotton Club. Maybe Novell's corporate headquarters in Provo, UT. Or a brothel.

My real guess is that there is a tile in front of that building that reads "Toynbee Idea in Kubrick's 2001. Resurrect Dead in Planet Jupiter."

Originally posted by murpes:

Jim Morrison's grave. Or The Cotton Club. Maybe Novell's corporate headquarters in Provo, UT. Or a brothel.

My real guess is that there is a tile in front of that building that reads "Toynbee Idea in Kubrick's 2001. Resurrect Dead in Planet Jupiter."

Sorry Andreas, was there a second prize for the unfunniest response? I would have contributed had there been.

Looking forward to some CMBB Byte Battles from you; I've actually been able to win consistently at the CMBO ones...

I hope Admiral Keth is planning how to divide his site between CMBO and CMBB as we speak....